Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rochester NY open water swim training
Quote | Reply
Now that it's finally warming up here in Rochester, it's time for me to move to open-water swimming so that I have a whole new set of excuses for why I'm so slow. I know about Fleet Feet's program, and the Friday evening swims from Kershaw Park on Canandaigua Lake, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Do people just swim off the beach at Durand-Eastman Park? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Rochester NY open water swim training [benroc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can swim at Kershaw for free all the time, not just Fridays. Just tell them you are swimming. If you go when the guard hut isn't open, you can go in from the small boat launch....there's usually a decent crowd every morning.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Re: Rochester NY open water swim training [fe_dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I will definitely give that a try
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kershaw is by far the best place in the area. Clear, pretty clean water and you can stand up at any spot along the buoy line, so it's very safe. I believe the RATs group does do some swims at Durand on Sunday mornings.

Quote | Reply
Back in "the day", we used to swim out in Casey Park in Ontario,NY. Out and back in an old quarry for around a mile(?). Not sure if this is still open for swimming but "bandits" were known to do some stealth laps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Durand is nice, and RATs will set up a couple buoys when they swim there. They'll typically let you hop in with their group also, but plan on a constant sales pitch to join the group! The buoys are always up at Kershaw, and you can stand up anytime if you need rest. FYI, Canandaigua Lake water temp is still damn cold, but doable.
Quote Reply
Re: Rochester NY open water swim training [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've actually been stopped by the Coast Guard at Durand Eastman and kicked out (more than once). Since they've opened up the official roped-in beach area, the CG seems to have a greater presence there. If the OP goes to DE, it's best to get there early in the morning.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing like open water swimming in Crapchester. ”Back in the 80's" I remember having to pee in my wetsuit to stay warm for the swim in Lake Ontario. Weird thing about it was the water was warm-ish 100 yards from shore.
Quote Reply
Re: Rochester NY open water swim training [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for suggesting the early morning. Will also try to jump in with the RATs as others have suggested
Quote Reply