Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rob Barel: so impressive!
Quote | Reply
9:46 in the M60 AG with a 3:36 Mary. 51 minute victory over a real stud. He’s a Dutch legend and maybe had one of the best races yesterday! As a fellow old guy it boggles my mind....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Rob Barel: so impressive! [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just looking at this guys performance. Very cool to see that someone is still able to get it done at that age. Gives me hope that I can do this sport for a few decades.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
9:46 in the M60 AG with a 3:36 Mary. 51 minute victory over a real stud. He’s a Dutch legend and maybe had one of the best races yesterday! As a fellow old guy it boggles my mind....

I think he would have kicked Dave Scott's butt!
Quote Reply
Re: Rob Barel: so impressive! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
rcmioga wrote:

Ah, any piker can do that. ;-)

Old guys, REPRESENT!!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Rob Barel: so impressive! [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
rcmioga wrote:

Ah, any piker can do that. ;-)

Old guys, REPRESENT!!

You realize that the entire post above was to bait you to join the "I beat Dave Scott club". Currently I only know of 3 people in that club....Mark Allen, Greg Welch and you. Now we need Barel to go head to head with Scott so he can bump you out of that elite group.
Quote Reply
Re: Rob Barel: so impressive! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob is still impressive. For those of you that do not know, Rob was 4th in 1984 in 9:27. To still be under 10 hours at age 60 is unreal! To beat the 55-59 age group is phenomenal!
Oh, Dave would still kick his ass.
Scott Tinley also beat Dave in Feb. 1982.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember Barel winning one of the first long distance events I ever raced - the "Great Race Triathlon" on the Gold Coast, Oz in 1988 (2/75/20).
I also remember watching him at the Sydney Olympics in 2000 and being impressed that he was still in such good shape (he was the oldest competitor at, I think, 42).
Still crushing it after all these years - extraordinary.
Quote Reply
Re: Rob Barel: so impressive! [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob barel is a legend... Last year of the year before there was the offroad triathlon world champs on tv....are there were guys from all over the world....and a young blond guy from Holland called rob barel was doing well. I thought for a second it was a name sake or his son, but it turned out to be the one and only. Pretty phenomenal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard his age announced as he crossed and said WTF; and thought - since I am the same age - why do I even bother? I did a little surfing and saw that he is a former pro, raced in the 2000 Sydney Olympics, won a past ITU World Long Course Championship, and has been the Dutch national champion this and that over and over, plus a boat load of other titles. I didn't feel so bad after that. And after seeing Moats disgrace the podium its nice to know that he wasn't even in the same zip code.

Titles[edit]
  • World Champion Long Distance triathlon: 1994
  • European Champion Middle Distance triathlon EK: 1986, 1988, 1994
  • European Champion Olympic distance triathlon: 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988
  • National Champion Olympic distance triathlon: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1994, 1998
  • National Champion duatlon: 1993, 1994, 1997
  • National Champion cross triathlon: 2005, 2008
  • European Champion cross triathlon: 2008
  • National Champion Mountainbike Masters2: 2005, 2006, 2007

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:

Agreed.

It's one thing to have the DNA that allows folks to be special athletes.(Obviously, Rob does)

It's another to have the longevity and internal drive to compete for 40+ years....at a high level.

You have or don't have the DNA. Nothing you can do about it.

What makes Rob truly a special athlete (IMO) is the willingness to train, persevere and compete over all these years. As a fellow M60 athlete, I am in awe.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply