Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road race vs. triathlon power
Quote | Reply
I just completed a 70mile road race with an 244NP and was wondering if that would be a good bench mark for a 70.3 ride? The AP was pretty low as the group I was with stopped once to change a flat and a few other times for a total of 8-min of stop time.

just curious as to how it would translate.
Quote Reply
Re: Road race vs. triathlon power [micaza75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road race NP would only work as a benchmark for 70.3 coincidentally.
The aim for Tri is to be consistent - low VI (so AP and NP) close and focussed on a specific IF.
The aim for a road race is to stay with the group - which means patches of very easy and very hard.
Even our 40min club road races would be terrible for sprint pacing - totally different events (I'd have NP ~330 for a Sprint and 410 for a road race).

Know your FTP, set a sensible IF target and minimise VI if you want to race a 70.3 well.
Quote Reply
Re: Road race vs. triathlon power [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Know your FTP, set a sensible IF target and minimise VI if you want to race a 70.3 well.

And/Or, do some 50ish mile rides are various expected race paces, with a short run after in training, to dial in a good pacing goal.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Road race vs. triathlon power [micaza75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of road race has a stoppage for a flat tire?
Quote Reply
Re: Road race vs. triathlon power [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
What kind of road race has a stoppage for a flat tire?

not only a stoppage but an 8 min stoppage? what sorta race is that?

with so much stoppage, it's highly unlikely to be representative of your ftp. if you were on the front the whole way, then yes, possibly. but in this case? unlikely
Quote Reply