Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road bike: Large vs. Small size war
Quote | Reply
Looking for a little advice from the experts. My stats: 6'0" and have been riding a 2010 Cervelo P2 52cm which after an ordering problem the final bike fitter said it might have been too small but will make it work. I just came into a 2015 DeRosa 888 Superking 56cm and it seems like it is too big. I have the seatpost 1cm above the lowest point and it still seems like I'm pointing my toes, and I had to swap a 120mm stem for a 100mm stem to get a bend in the elbows.

I assume I can lower the seat down to 0.5 to flatten my feet, and slam the stem at the lowest position, but which of the following options are better on a road bike...

Small frame with lots of seatpost and higher stem height, or large frame with little seatpost and no stem height?

I'll post pictures if anyone from the peanut gallery wants to comment on my saddle height.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike: Large vs. Small size war [resistadj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'8" I have a medium shiv and a 52 trek road bike. I thought the shiv would be too big but i had it fit. The standover on my shiv is right on my crotch (with shoes on! It would be worse without) but when I ride it feels great I had it fit with retul. My road bike has good standover and fits great but some of of the fit is not perfectly right my fitter said I probably should have gone one size up. If it doest fit you when riding its not the right size at least as far as having to point toes if its all the way down. some thigs can be fixed with stems and bars but height is hard it the seat is bottomed out.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Last edited by: mknight84: Oct 13, 15 6:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OP - Yes, post photos.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike: Large vs. Small size war [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peanut gallery galore:

Here are me and my two bikes...sorry for not having anyone to take these or a trainer (I'm from Cali, what's a trainer). The road bike is at 1/2cm on an 8cm seatpost and slammed down to the bottom of the head tube to get me here. Do I have too much bike? should I really need a 54cm? In contrast is my 52cm Cervelo that I have found a comfortable position on.[/url] [url=http://postimg.org/image/gxfut52gz/][/url] [url=http://postimg.org/image/kv34ijpab/][/url] [url=http://postimg.org/image/bd7yw8szn/][/url][/img]
Last edited by: resistadj: Oct 15, 15 22:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From looking at the pictures you must be relatively short in the legs and long in the torso which also explains how someone of your overall height can still fit a 52. I would agree with your fitter than the Cervelo is really a frame size too small but is still within the range where it can be adjusted to work for you. The road bike appears on the other end of the spectrum. If you can cut the seat post or buy a new one that gives a little more adjust-ability I would day its the right size but as it sits its pretty close. The other issue with fit is your arm position (locked-out) suggests you need to raise the stem back up. It would appear you have an almost identical saddle-bar drop on the TT and road bike which is not going to be comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting, you'd naturally expect that you'd need more than a 52 but your pic looks ok, not lacking for reach in particular. And your seat tube angle doesn't look particularly slack, either. The old Cervelos did have particularly long/low geometry. You could go a bit lower even without needing any more reach, perhaps.

Funny, I'm 5'10 and ride a 56. Folks come in all shapes and sizes.
Quote Reply