Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Bike Buying Advice: Roubaix (base vs expert)
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

I am helping a friend purchase a bike and they sought my advise between a '15 expert and a '16 base Roubaix. I am now turning to you, the experts!

Do you think the $1200 extra spend to gro from Tiagra to Ultegra, the 8r to the 10r and the AXIS to the Fucrum's is justified? Or would there be time well spent trying to ask for an upgrade for some of these on the base, say the Ultegra group only? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The rider is a weekend warrior, currently on an old Scott aluminum and logs ~100-!50 miles a weekend all group rides.

Specialized 2016 Roubaix Base
8r frame
Tiagra
AXIS 1.0
$1400

Specialized 2015 Roubaix Expert
10r frame
Ultegra
Fulcrum S4
$2600

Last edited by: duffeymt: Sep 29, 16 11:44
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Buying Advice: Roubaix (base vs expert) [duffeymt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100-150 a week is 5200-7800 miles a year and he's considering a $1400 bike? I'm sure Tiagra is adequate, but if you're going to be spending that much time riding maybe the slight increase in cost for additional luxury is worth it.

I'd love to get that much time on the bike at this point...
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Buying Advice: Roubaix (base vs expert) [duffeymt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd guess he could find the SL4 Expert for a little less money (I did). I'd look around some more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1200 bucks buys a set of Flo 30s and a full Ultegra group. Get the cheap one an use the $ for upgrades. I went from a Pro to an S-Works frame and never noticed the difference in carbon. A nicer wheel/tire combo will have a bigger effect on feel and performance than a different carbon!
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Buying Advice: Roubaix (base vs expert) [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
1200 bucks buys a set of Flo 30s and a full Ultegra group. Get the cheap one an use the $ for upgrades. I went from a Pro to an S-Works frame and never noticed the difference in carbon. A nicer wheel/tire combo will have a bigger effect on feel and performance than a different carbon!

That's why I've built so many bikes in my day. By the time you buy a frame and all of the components, you can put together such a great build, and often at a MUCH better price. You just have to be willing to do a little work.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Buying Advice: Roubaix (base vs expert) [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Along those lines, why even get a new bike... Just upgrade the old one, right?
If he's going to buy the low end bike just to have to upgrade it, just upgrade the old one and keep from having to sell new low-grade components. I mean, assuming you guys are correct and he actually wants to 1. work on the bike or 2. pay someone to work on the bike.

We all 'know' the biggest change in comfort comes from tire pressure. Lower pressure 25c's on an aluminum bike *have to be* more comfortable than a Roubaix. A good fitting saddle, carbon bars with gel tape...

It seems like there are two reasons for a new bike: 1. the current bike is inadequate or 2. the emotional want of a new bike. Item 1, another low grade bike will probably be slightly less inadequate depending on the specific issue. Item 2, nicer new bikes are sexier new bikes. Ergo, upgrade the old bike or buy the more expensive new bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The wheels and components difference is not worth $1,200.

Shimano has flooded the market with component sets as of late so they are getting stupid cheap. You can get a full Ultegra groupset including crank for $500-600 right now. Another $500 for a set of Flo 30's and he would be in much better shape for the extra money and he would have a brand new Tiagra setup and wheels to sell to recoup a few hundred dollars.

As others have said, building yourself or buying the cheap version to upgrade is where it is right now. I wanted a Scott Foil, the 20 had full ultegra, the 40 had 105. I bought the 105 for much less, stripped it down and went SRAM Force 22 and Zipp carbon bars for less than the Ultegra bike went for. Much better setup IMO and cheaper.
Quote Reply