Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Riding in Austin, Tx.
Quote | Reply
How is Austin as a cycling destination?
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Austin, Tx. [Dancon7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Compared to what? Depends on what you are looking for and what your riding experience is.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are lots of cars, but generally big shoulders. I don’t feel unsafe because people generally drive respectful. But again, lots of cars going fast

Rolling hills go on forever West (maybe 500-700ft climbing / 20 miles) and it’s flatish to the east / southeast

I ride in and through neighborhoods a lot to avoid big intersections. The only other place I lived / rode in, that was something we never did

Roads are mostly chipseal. You get used to it and it isn’t so bad

Some really fast group rides almost everyday of the week, Crits every Thursday night all summer.

I probably wouldn’t come here as a cycling destination, I’d pick somewhere better. Go out west, or maybe TN / North Carolina. Somewhere more rural with lots of real hills.

But if you’re in Austin there’s definitely good cycling!
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Austin, Tx. [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just looking for a different spring destination. The wife and I have been to NC, Tucson, Penn.
We are heading south a little early this year ( end of Feb.), so temperature is important as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Local here, I think the riding is great. No giant climbs, but you can find places to suffer for 5-10'. Nice shoulders, beautiful hill country, courteous drivers (for the most part).
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Austin, Tx. [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Former Austinite now living in Chicago - I would kill to be back in Austin for cycling. Find the "dam loop". Or hook up with one of the many bike shops' supported rides. Mellow Johnny's has a lot and Austin Tri has a Saturday ride that allows aero bars. I never made the latter, but from I heard it was fairly punishing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live here and I like it, but i don't know if i would take a trip here just to bike.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Austin, Tx. [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
I live here and I like it, but i don't know if i would take a trip here just to bike.

Ditto, I also live in Austin and the biking isn't bad, but id hardly make a trip out of it. So many more awesome places to travel to and bike.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The countryside outside of Austin is fantastic. Inside Austin is not good for cycling, but lots of cycling culture things to visit.

But do NOT plan a trip to Texas thinking you'll know what the weather will be. We get very few nice days a year. It's either boiling hot, windy as hell, dumping rain, freezing cold, or some combination of the above. The upside is it's almost always bikeable. The downside is it's almost always just barely bikeable. So you'll get your ride in if your tough. You'll most likely leave Texas way tougher on the bike than when you showed up. Not faster, just more insane.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply