Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Riding a TT bike in a Gran Fondo?
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone,

Quick question, as my username shows, i'm a runner. Been doing the tri stuff though as I train for IMFL. Recently been doing more group rides and stuff though to get out more on my bike. I've kind of learned some rules about when/when not to ride in the aero bars with groups.

So my question is, I'm about to sign up for a Gran Fondo today, a 98 miler, my first. Is it going to be okay to do with a TT bike? I'd like to spend 85% of my time in the bars to help me prepare for florida. I understand Fondo's are often timed so it's like a race.

With that in mind...help me?

I just don't want to get a lot of hate, piss people off, or be in the wrong.

Thanks in advance!

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Re: Riding a TT bike in a Gran Fondo? [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:

I just don't want to get a lot of hate, piss people off, or be in the wrong.

You already know the answer. Expect all 3.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding a TT bike in a Gran Fondo? [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha. :p Word.

Should I just say, "f the haters" and do it nonetheless as long as i'm not in the aerobars sitting on someone's ass.

I honestly don't even own a road bike (I do intend to buy one, just waiting for the 2015 Giant Defy Advanced to come out).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 'gran fondo' is the last place a TT bike should be ridden, especially on the aero bars. Don't do it...ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:

Should I just say, "f the haters" and do it nonetheless as long as i'm not in the aerobars sitting on someone's ass.

I honestly don't even own a road bike (I do intend to buy one, just waiting for the 2015 Giant Defy Advanced to come out).

Let us know how that works out for you. And thanks in advance for adding more fuel to the "Why Roadies Hate Triathletes" fire.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:
a 98 miler

WHAT?!?! Who creates a Gran Fondo of 98 miles... how hard is it to add 2 miles somewhere?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have respect for others and don't do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding a TT bike in a Gran Fondo? [TOMOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Riding a TT bike in a Gran Fondo? [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JMH,

Come on man! I already said I'd follow the rules. I'm not dumb, I know when to be in my bars and when not to be, I know how to say car up and car back, I know how to spot holes and signal them to other riders. If I know the rules of the road and I respect that my aero bars aren't safe if i'm riding in the group, then what harm am I doing?

Get your damn panties out of a wad.

And let me put it this way, I come from running and started tri a year ago, roadie hate for triathletes is silly and very elitist from everything i've seen. I've done group rides with amazing roadies who didn't care I was on a tri bike as long as I respected the rules.

That's the point of this thread, asking that IF I obey the rules, is my TT bike in a Gran Fondo a real issue.

You've yet to answer that but have managed to get upset.

Quote Reply
Re: Riding a TT bike in a Gran Fondo? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.

My point being is that if for the first 15-20 miles we're together, I know to sit up right. But if/when things break out, I'd like to move down to my aero bars. I'm just asking if that's a huge deal?

I've emailed the event director for her perspective since this thread seems to just be people not being overly logical.

Edit: I'm going running, I hope I get back and find buttery goodness in this thread. ;)

Last edited by: justarunner: Jul 28, 14 11:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just asking if that's a huge deal?

There was a guy on P5 at our local century last year, and I had no problem with it. He liked to hammer on the front, so I encouraged the others in our group to wait for him on the first few climbs, and suck his wheel the rest of the time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typically Gran Fondos are run under USAC (or equivalent) rules for mass start events and as such aerobars are prohibited.
I wouldn't like to see TT bikes in a Gran Fondo I was riding.
If the RD says okay, then fine, but perhaps voluntarily start late so that you're less likely to get involved in packs.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was training for IMFL, I'd find a route that would allow me to spend 100% of time in the aero bars like you will be during the race IMFL. A gran fondo is not conducive to do that.

And there are those USAC rules:

Quote:
10J. Equipment

10J1. Bicycles used in a Gran Fondo must be propelled solely
by the rider's legs and shall have the following characteristics:
(a) Dimensions. Bicycles may be no more than 2 meters
long and 75 cm wide, except that tandems may be up to 3
meters long
(b) There may be no protective shield, fairing, or other
device on any part of the bicycle, which has the effect of
reducing air resistance except that spoke covers may be
used.
(c) Wheels must have at least 12 spokes. No wheel may
contain special mechanisms to store and release energy. Disc
wheels are not allowed.
(d) The handlebar ends shall be solidly plugged and
attachments thereto shall be fashioned in such a way as to
minimize danger without impairing steering. Handlebars used
for steering with ends, features, or attachments that extend
forward or upward or that provide support for other than the
rider's hands are not permitted.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/USACWeb/forms/rules/2014-USAC-Rulebook-Chapter10.pdf

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding a TT bike in a Gran Fondo? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
TOMOP wrote:
Have respect for others and don't do it.

That doesn't really follow if you aren't in the aero bars.

Yes, but he said: "I'd like to spend 85% of my time in the bars to help me prepare for florida. I understand Fondo's are often timed so it's like a race. "

He also said: "Recently been doing more group rides and stuff though to get out more on my bike. I've kind of learned some rules about when/when not to ride in the aero bars with groups".

So, someone with limited bike skills wants to race a Grand Fondo on his aerobars the vast majority of the time? There are better ways of preparing for an IM, so I stand by my post, have respect for others and don't do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a roadie (recovering racer) and I like attending centuries and GF events with my wife and I've seen it all on these things. Riding a TT bike isn't a problem per se, but if you have a road bike it is a better choice. If you use the TT bike just use good judgement when you find yourself near others because the tucked position has considerably less control.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My firm personal belief is that riding a TT bike and masturbation are exactly alike.

By yourself: Enjoy and have at it.

Small group well known to each other: alright but seems a little forced.

Large group of strangers: weird and uncomfortable for almost everyone.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Riding a TT bike in a Gran Fondo? [dgran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read the rules for a gran fondo (http://granfondony.com/) in NY and they allow aero bars and TT bikes but you must be on the horns, hoods, or drops if you are within five or ten meters of another bike. Read the rules for the gran fondo before riding it with your TT bike. I have never seen it but I have heard of people being removed from courses because they were riding a TT bike when it wasn't allowed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:
I'd like to spend 85% of my time in the bars to help me prepare for florida. I understand Fondo's are often timed so it's like a race.

With that in mind...help me?

You will be riding 85% of the ride with your hands well away from the brakes, likely surrounded by other riders.

The helpful answer is "don't".
Last edited by: Greg66: Jul 28, 14 12:36
Quote Reply
Re: Riding a TT bike in a Gran Fondo? [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate all the input. I did reach out to the RD and she had this to say.

"You will be fine... Our ride is timed but it is not a race :)".

I totally get the guys who are not for it and others who advise that there are better ways to train for IMFL. But I just moved from Ohio to SoCal. There are limited opportunities to find places with open highways where I can just be in my bars and go out here compared to ohio. So the rides force me to get out, meet friends, experience things, and log the miles. And do to not having a road bike, there's only so much I can do. The roadies I did a group ride with last week definitely razzed me a bit but when I climbed a 2300 foot mountain with them over 8 miles, they didn't have much hate left after that. :p

I'll definitely obey the rules of the road for aerobars and hopefully it opens up early so I can spend a good amount of time in the bars.

As others said about a Road bike being better, I will be buying a Giant Defy Advanced 1 when the 2015 models come out, just waiting on Giant to release them.

Really do appreciate all the input.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode our Gran Fondo here in Golden last month with a TT bike and it was fine. I wasn't a big deal and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. If I had people in front of me then I didn't ride in the bars of course.
I thought it added to the fun of the racing. I'd ride certain sections hard at the front and try to break away where the TT was ideal.
Given the nature of the event you could also choose to ride on your own well behind a pack and try to cover the timed sections faster on your own.

Jordan Jones | Former Pro | Founder/Owner Powder7.com Ski Shop | AthleteBloodTest.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:

This sounds like perfect training for IMFL.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding a TT bike in a Gran Fondo? [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
justarunner wrote:

This sounds like perfect training for IMFL.

This guy. :p

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:
Appreciate all the input. I did reach out to the RD and she had this to say.

"You will be fine... Our ride is timed but it is not a race :)".

I totally get the guys who are not for it and others who advise that there are better ways to train for IMFL. But I just moved from Ohio to SoCal. There are limited opportunities to find places with open highways where I can just be in my bars and go out here compared to ohio. So the rides force me to get out, meet friends, experience things, and log the miles. And do to not having a road bike, there's only so much I can do. The roadies I did a group ride with last week definitely razzed me a bit but when I climbed a 2300 foot mountain with them over 8 miles, they didn't have much hate left after that. :p

I'll definitely obey the rules of the road for aerobars and hopefully it opens up early so I can spend a good amount of time in the bars.

As others said about a Road bike being better, I will be buying a Giant Defy Advanced 1 when the 2015 models come out, just waiting on Giant to release them.

Really do appreciate all the input.

You're in So Cal and you can't find a place to ride in your aerobars? Must not be looking very hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding a TT bike in a Gran Fondo? [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
My firm personal belief is that riding a TT bike and masturbation are exactly alike.

By yourself: Enjoy and have at it.

Small group well known to each other: alright but seems a little forced.

Large group of strangers: weird and uncomfortable for almost everyone.

Post of the month.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding a TT bike in a Gran Fondo? [ImPan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMpan,

Please tell me aside from the Santa Ana trail or the San Gabriel trail where I can ride uninterrupted like I could in Ohio for mile after mile on empty highway roads?

Even the LBS said, and I quote, "you're not gonna have a fun time with a TT bike here..." in regards to the lack of good riding.

As a roadie, it's heaven. I've already done some great rides with two different groups, but even had I been alone, they would've been awful to be in my bars.

I'm all for suggestions. But aside from the aforementioned trails, where I live, I need to drive like 90+ minutes to get away from everything to have an uninterrupted ride. I'm not in Ohio anymore, by comparison, SoCal is not even a fraction as good as Ohio.

Quote Reply

Prev Next