Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Reynolds 58/72 Review
Quote | Reply
I'd like to put this one out there:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._58_and_72_3957.html

Calling all aero nerds and geeks! I'm curious - what do you think of their white paper, data, and way of thinking? What about the high drag/high lift vs low drag/low lift designs? Some of their wheels' design elements remind me of the H3 (i.e. sharp ID), so I have to think that that there is validity to it - but then things like the stepped-down rim edge are really unique (and they wouldn't really tell me what it actually does). They were clear to say that dimples don't work, but didn't really say that they do anything bad, either. They say that their rim shape is low drag/turbulence, but again - not much of the 'how/why'. Constructive thoughts/comments are welcome.

Ultimately, I actually liked riding the wheels, despite all of the info that seemed strange. Oddly enough, they *did* seem very stable on very gusty descents - and I went in to it fully expecting the opposite. I have a few front wheels in my stable that I'd like to compare it to back-to-back - H3, Dura Ace 50 2013 (similar shape to Reynolds), Profile-Design TwentyFour 58mm (it's wide/blunt).
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 58/72 Review [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregk wrote:
I'd like to put this one out there:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._58_and_72_3957.html

Calling all aero nerds and geeks! I'm curious - what do you think of their white paper, data, and way of thinking? What about the high drag/high lift vs low drag/low lift designs? Some of their wheels' design elements remind me of the H3 (i.e. sharp ID), so I have to think that that there is validity to it - but then things like the stepped-down rim edge are really unique (and they wouldn't really tell me what it actually does). They were clear to say that dimples don't work, but didn't really say that they do anything bad, either. They say that their rim shape is low drag/turbulence, but again - not much of the 'how/why'. Constructive thoughts/comments are welcome.

Ultimately, I actually liked riding the wheels, despite all of the info that seemed strange. Oddly enough, they *did* seem very stable on very gusty descents - and I went in to it fully expecting the opposite. I have a few front wheels in my stable that I'd like to compare it to back-to-back - H3, Dura Ace 50 2013 (similar shape to Reynolds), Profile-Design TwentyFour 58mm (it's wide/blunt).

Surprising higher yaw performance for a sharp trailing edge rim. We use this rim on our TTR1 wheelset.
-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg-
It feels like there is a lot of double speak coming from Paul Lew in regards to his explanations of how the wheels work aerodynamically. He says that tripping the air to stimulate the airflow doesn't work, and then gives an almost perfect description of a trip when describing the ISH technology...

Paul Lew wrote:
“It is common that small disturbances in airflow in localized regions can improve the overall aerodynamic performances. This is common particularly near leading edge contours and trailing edge re-attachment zones. This is the case for the ISH. Tire size varies depending upon rider selection and the tire shape is dynamic; it is always changing depending upon terrain, air pressure and tire design, and molded tire tolerances. The ISH helps to create a predictable airflow over the surface of the rim in a situation where the airflow would otherwise be unpredictable based upon the tire variability and environmental conditions.”

While Mr. Lew is correct that aerospace engineers speak of Lift vs. Drag I believe he has his axis mixed up. Lift is defined as a positive force along the Z axis (with the Z axis pointing up) and Drag is most commonly defined as a negative force along the Y axis (with the Y axis pointing forward i.e. along the direction of travel). He makes some interesting points about his High Drag/High Lift vs. Low Drag Low Lift concepts. An object can have drag in one area and then produce negative drag in another area and they cancel each other out producing an object with low total drag. Or an object can just be low drag all over and not have the negative components anywhere in the foil. While this is an interesting discussion a wind tunnel is not the place to attempt to measure this phenomenon because it will only give you the total drag of an object, it will not break down the drag into multiple components. CFD will tell you what part of you object is contributing what drag to the total, which it appears he is using. Overall he is correct that it is multiple ways of skinning the same cat. I also think that he is trying to optimize the leading edge of the front half of the wheel while Zipp/HED/Flo are trying to optimize the leading edge of the back half of the wheel. More skinning the cat differently.

I can't blame Mr. Lew for misusing the word 'Lift' though. I believe it's misuse started when Zipp started bragging about their discs achieving lift in the tunnel at high yaws. If they achieved lift athletes up and down the Queen K would be losing contact with the road as they were lifted off by their 808s. What Zipp say in the tunnel was negative Drag, which propels the object forward. This is good, but I suspect the marketing people had a hard time explaining why a negative thing was actually good.

It is fantastic to see another good wheel option out there, but I agree with your conclusion that Reynolds needs to spend a little time cleaning up their message to consumers about why their wheels work. Right now their message is confusing to the point of seeming contradictory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have anything to contribute re: the design, but did anyone else find it curious that they used the 20mm GP4000S? And also that the HED Jet9 looks awesome...

Also, did they give any motivation for picking the 16 degrees of yaw in their comparison other than it's the one in which they did the best?
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 58/72 Review [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
Greg-
It feels like there is a lot of double speak coming from Paul Lew in regards to his explanations of how the wheels work aerodynamically. He says that tripping the air to stimulate the airflow doesn't work, and then gives an almost perfect description of a trip when describing the ISH technology...

Paul Lew wrote:
�It is common that small disturbances in airflow in localized regions can improve the overall aerodynamic performances. This is common particularly near leading edge contours and trailing edge re-attachment zones. This is the case for the ISH. Tire size varies depending upon rider selection and the tire shape is dynamic; it is always changing depending upon terrain, air pressure and tire design, and molded tire tolerances. The ISH helps to create a predictable airflow over the surface of the rim in a situation where the airflow would otherwise be unpredictable based upon the tire variability and environmental conditions.�

While Mr. Lew is correct that aerospace engineers speak of Lift vs. Drag I believe he has his axis mixed up. Lift is defined as a positive force along the Z axis (with the Z axis pointing up) and Drag is most commonly defined as a negative force along the Y axis (with the Y axis pointing forward i.e. along the direction of travel). He makes some interesting points about his High Drag/High Lift vs. Low Drag Low Lift concepts. An object can have drag in one area and then produce negative drag in another area and they cancel each other out producing an object with low total drag. Or an object can just be low drag all over and not have the negative components anywhere in the foil. While this is an interesting discussion a wind tunnel is not the place to attempt to measure this phenomenon because it will only give you the total drag of an object, it will not break down the drag into multiple components. CFD will tell you what part of you object is contributing what drag to the total, which it appears he is using. Overall he is correct that it is multiple ways of skinning the same cat. I also think that he is trying to optimize the leading edge of the front half of the wheel while Zipp/HED/Flo are trying to optimize the leading edge of the back half of the wheel. More skinning the cat differently.

I can't blame Mr. Lew for misusing the word 'Lift' though. I believe it's misuse started when Zipp started bragging about their discs achieving lift in the tunnel at high yaws. If they achieved lift athletes up and down the Queen K would be losing contact with the road as they were lifted off by their 808s. What Zipp say in the tunnel was negative Drag, which propels the object forward. This is good, but I suspect the marketing people had a hard time explaining why a negative thing was actually good.

It is fantastic to see another good wheel option out there, but I agree with your conclusion that Reynolds needs to spend a little time cleaning up their message to consumers about why their wheels work. Right now their message is confusing to the point of seeming contradictory.

Thanks for your response. Here is one from an industry friend via email, that preferred to stay anonymous:

"Re: Low drag, low lift, etc.

Maybe he's just trying to clarify the two different reference frames: in aircraft, drag is defined as the force in the direction of air flow (and lift perpendicular to that), but in bikes, drag is normally taken as the force in the bike direction (and side force perpendicular to that).

Some might see that as being snobby of picky? Or reminding us that "real" aircraft designers use the "right" terms? If so he's not completely alone. Some guys (like Kraig Willet) insist on using CxA instead of CdA: the "x" is defined as the bike's direction.

Anyway, in either case, there is a single net force vector. Lift and drag are just the aircraft guys' two components in the wind coordinate system, and the bike industy's drag and side force are two different components of the same vector, this time broken down into the bike's coordinate system. Unfortunately the two different naming conventions share a word - drag - even though it's used differently."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gregk's qoute of Industry Insider wrote:
Some might see that as being snobby of picky? Or reminding us that "real" aircraft designers use the "right" terms? If so he's not completely alone. Some guys (like Kraig Willet) insist on using CxA instead of CdA: the "x" is defined as the bike's direction.

I prefer the term 'precise' over snobby/picky. You say tomatO I say tomAto.

My overall discomfort with Mr. Lew's use of Drag vs. Lift is that in aerospace they are trying to balance two perpendicular components of the force vector to keep the plane in the air with as little drag as possible (the more drag the more fuel has to be burned to keep it up to speed). In bicycles it appears to me that there isn't this inherent trade off. The designers are trying to minimize drag, the perpendicular forces seem to be inherently less important. Sideforce might be important, someone with experience will have to speak up here. But lift in the traditional sense, i.e. in up direction, is irrelevant.

One other thing that occurred to me is that maybe the bike guys are rotating the traditional aerospace, and also automotive, coordinate system on it's side so that what I am calling Sideforce is being called lift. Anyone in the industry care to comment on this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
One other thing that occurred to me is that maybe the bike guys are rotating the traditional aerospace, and also automotive, coordinate system on it's side so that what I am calling Sideforce is being called lift. Anyone in the industry care to comment on this?

That's how I've always interpreted it when they said "lift". Just due to the orientation of the planar shapes under discussion, it's pretty clear they're not talking about lifting the bike off the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Compare drag and side force components of the net aero force vector in bike coordinates and wind coordinates.

At zero yaw, the two coordinate systems are aligned and there's no confusion.

At non-zero yaw, then it matters which convention you're talking.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Oct 11, 13 8:32
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 58/72 Review [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:

Compare drag and side force components of the net aero force vector in bike coordinates and wind coordinates.

At zero yaw, the two coordinate systems are aligned and there's no confusion.

At non-zero yaw, then it matters which convention you're talking.

Cheers,

That's a great diagram. Now, just to be clear -- wind tunnel results measure Bike Coordinate drag, right? Because the force balance is mounted to the turntable and measures the force in the 'fore-aft' direction on the turntable, so it rotates with the bike (or whatever component is under test)?
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 58/72 Review [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi asad,

Yes, both actually.

FWIW, our public data has always been based on the component of force that slows the rider, not airplane lift or drag.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been navigating my way through the "white paper"...is it just me, or does anyone else see something odd about this chart and explanation:

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 58/72 Review [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not see anything odd, I see an error, but nothing odd. Plenty of people get confused by vectors. The forward thrust vector just does not have to connect to that "resolved vectors" from the side force because you want it to. The "side force" vector should be acting through the center of pressure and so should the thrust vector.
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 58/72 Review [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
I do not see anything odd, I see an error, but nothing odd. Plenty of people get confused by vectors. The forward thrust vector just does not have to connect to that "resolved vectors" from the side force because you want it to. The "side force" vector should be acting through the center of pressure and so should the thrust vector.

Right...but they are claiming additional thrust vector length since the COP is moved forward of the COM. That so-called extra length is because they didn't put the origin of the "side force" vector in the correct spot. I don't think it works that way...

Besides, do you think someone writing a tech paper on this subject should be confused by vectors? ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Oct 11, 13 12:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do wheel fixtures in tunnels usually have the ability to measure moment around the Z axis? How is he determining the position of the center of pressure?

And I could be missing it but how does a displacement of the center of pressure cause a forward thrust?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
Do wheel fixtures in tunnels usually have the ability to measure moment around the Z axis? How is he determining the position of the center of pressure?

I don't think they measure it -- I think they use CFD for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they are using CFD for the moment data I hope they have a way of physically backing up their models. When it comes to engineering models it pays to trust but verify.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
If they are using CFD for the moment data I hope they have a way of physically backing up their models. When it comes to engineering models it pays to trust but verify.

It's no different than what Zipp did:
http://www.zipp.com/...ro_edge_flyer_11.pdf

I'm not sure if Zipp has any data, but it looks like Enve has done some real (wind tunnel) measurements of steering torque vs. yaw (let's ignore for now their assertion that linearity is more important than low torque, and their invention of a metric that shows their wheels in a favorable light):
http://www.enve.com/stability.aspx

Bontrager also seems to have some side force measurements from wind tunnels in the Aeolus D3 white paper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have a hard time stating an engineering model is valid for a metric if I couldn't at least back it up with some physical tests. Models are fantastic tools when they are continuously verified and refined with real world and lab tests. Without the verification and refinement you don't know if your model is a useful engineering tool or an expensive way to run up the AC bill (computers are a really expensive way to heat up a room).

I am not saying anyone is using their tools wrong. I am speaking to the use of computer models in general. Then again Peter Higgs just won a Nobel prize for a model that took 50 years and a couple billion dollars to physically verify.
Last edited by: pyrahna: Oct 11, 13 16:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I generally don't believe anything that Lew says, but all the rider reports I've seen say these wheels are stable in crosswinds. Which is amazing given their shape. It's almost like it doesn't much matter what you do so long as the rim is wider than the tire. I mean... these are extra pointy.

Compared to something like this:

I wonder if there have been any independent wind tunnel tests? Tour... anybody?

Even Reynolds is stating that the Hed wheel is faster though...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if this is right or wrong or even what I'm talking about, but the charts here http://www.aerospaceweb.org/...dynamics/q0194.shtml seem to show that an airfoil, like the reynolds wheels seem to be, has low drag/low lift at 0 and 180 degrees, the leading/trailing edges of the wheel
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 58/72 Review [jjstains] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjstains wrote:
I don't know if this is right or wrong or even what I'm talking about, but the charts here http://www.aerospaceweb.org/...dynamics/q0194.shtml seem to show that an airfoil, like the reynolds wheels seem to be, has low drag/low lift at 0 and 180 degrees, the leading/trailing edges of the wheel

On that page, "lift" and "drag" are defined in the "wind coordinate system" as defined by Damon above. The relevant metrics for the force on the wheel (and thus the forces the rider has to deal with) are the "normal" and "axial" numbers. Still, your point stands that that page implies that an airfoil seems to show low "axial" force at 180 degrees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
asad137 wrote:

Also, did they give any motivation for picking the 16 degrees of yaw in their comparison other than it's the one in which they did the best?

Not to me, they didn't. I'm guessing it's just where the data looked best (not at all uncommon in, well, a lot of industries).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom - just curious if you have any follow-up thoughts or if you've read through the whole paper? I read through it all (allllll of it)... just curious to hear your opinion.

At the end of the day, I don't think that the rim shape is actually *that* much different. It looks very similar to the latest Shimano product, for example. It's just the way it's presented that leaves me.... befuddled? Is that the right word? I'll put it this way - I've never had a brand give me SO much information that was also presented in such a manner - different than the competition, but also downright strange at times.
Quote Reply