Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Review: Scicon AeroComfort Travel Cases
Quote | Reply

22 years ago we signed up for our first big triathlon that would require air travel: the unfortunately-now-defunct Mike and Rob's Most Excellent Triathlon in Ventura Beach California. I had spent all the money in the world to purchase a new carbon bike (Trek 5200 with Scott clip-ons and Spinergy wheels) and in order to protect my investment from the hazards of air travel we purchased a set of Tri All Three "Velo Safe" hard cases. Since then we have used those things like crazy, at least 3 or 4 times per year for the past 2+ decades. They have been rock-solid and I can't recommend them enough. But the last time we travelled time had caught up with them, and they both developed quite large cracks in the bottom half of the case. Evidently the plastic had degraded over time and become very brittle. Much to their credit though, they hung in there and protected the bikes one final time. But it was time to put them out to pasture and replace them with something a little more "contemporary."

This spring I was lucky enough to beat the odds and lay my hands on a new Felt IA FRD. While there is a lot to like about this bike, due to the fact it is heavily "integrated" I was not looking forward to all the break-down and re-assembly that would be required to travel with it in a traditional hard case like the Tri All Three. Enter the Scicon AeroComfort series of soft-sided travel cases: the "hands-down choice of pros," according to their website. Marketed as a travel case that requires zero bike disassembly, I was definitely intrigued. After watching several videos of how easily and quickly the bag packs, I was sold.

Retailing at $800.00, this bike case is by no means cheap. I hunted around for a while and eventually found it at ProBikeKit on sale for a little under 700 bucks, but as usual with their service you have to wait for what you get. About 5 weeks after I placed my order our cases arrived. After carefully measuring all of our bikes, I decided to order two different versions: the AeroComfort 2.0 (which will fit all but the IA, including my wife's TT bike) and the larger AeroComfort "Triathlon" for for the the IA.

So, the first thing to note is these bags (particularly the Triathlon) are on the large side. They seem to be incredibly tough, well padded, and extremely well made. Wheels, seams, and zippers are all heavy-duty. There is a convenient removable shoulder strap for when you have to carry it up and down stairs, along with a front handle/strap for pulling it along. All four casters are omnidirectional so it is a snap to steer through tight quarters and crowded airports, which was always a little bit of a shortcoming with the Tr All Three cases: They were great at going forward, but if you ever had to back them up they could be a little tough as only the front wheels were steerable. Even with the pull strap on front though and just like the Tri All Three cases, then Scicon bags travel best by simply putting a hand on top and sort of just walking it along side yours you walk.

So here is the Triathlon version of the case. You can see it is rather chunky:

The the bike is locked down to an adjustable metal frame via the front and real drop-outs and quick-release skewers. Employing sort of a "belt and suspenders" approach, the bike is also cinched down with adjustable straps as well: two that go over the aerobars and one that goes over the seat. You can see that there is also a nice seat cover provided that holds the strap in place and protects the seat as well.

In addition to the padded bits that come as part of the AeroComfort case, I also used a set of AlboPads to provide an extra layer of protection. After using pipe insulation, bubble wrap, and tape for years, I gotta say the AlboPads are a far cry better. They are incredibly well constructed, featuring heavy denier ballistic nylon on one side and a soft synthetic leather on the side that actually comes in contact with your bike. The pads vary in size and have very rugged velcro straps that make wrapping up the bike frame and components a cinch.

The AeroComfort Triathlon comes with a padded bag that protects the aerobar extensions. In addition I also purchased a set base bar protectors. These are really made to fit road bike drops, but worked out just fine on the pursuit bar once I used some of the extra velcro extension straps that come with the AlboPads to hold them on better.

While the set of AlboPads do provide a small, square padded sleeve to protect the rear derailleur, I instead opted to spring for the optional crank and derailleur padding wrap that Scicon manufactures. I then used the AlboPad sleeves (I stole the second one from my wife's set!) to provide an added layer of protection to my Garmin Vector pedals.

The best part of this case is obviously that almost no disassembly of the bike is required. Aside from removing the wheels, the only other thing you have to do is remove the wheel skewers. The skewers tuck inside a little zipper pocket inside the case, and then the wheels slide inside fitted, triple padded and armored sleeves than then then sandwich each side of the bike when the case is closed. This way the wheels provide an extra layer of protection for the bike itself.

All of the Scicon soft cases come with a metal cage that is designed to provide even more protection for the rear derailleur. The cage simply slips over the rear skewer and wraps around the derailleur. Due to the unique shape of the rear dropout on the Felt however, the cage wouldn't fit properly. So all I did was swap the 130mm standard skewer that comes with the Scicon and replaced it with a 140mm long skewer - the one I was able to find easily was and adjustable skewer for a "BOB" trailer. This let me stack up 5 or 6 flat washers between the dropout and the cage so that it cleared the frame. Viola!

Scicon AeroComfort 2.0 Travel Case
After doing some careful measuring of our bikes I decided that rather than buying a second "Triathlon" bag I would instead go for Aerocomfort 2.0 bag. You can see it is similar but somewhat smaller than the Triathlon:

This one will fit both of our road bikes perfectly, and it looks like even JT's TT bike (Scott Plasma, size: small) will fit, although I might have to loosen up the extensions and slide them back a wee bit. Like the Triathlon, it is narrow in the back and wide in the front, and designed to fit the bike somewhat like a glove.

Everything works the same as the triathlon version, and you can see how the bike frame is sandwiched between the wheels.

The seat cinches down via a seat cover and adjustable velcro strap.

And the handlebars are also cinched down similarly. There is ample additional padding provided by optional handlebar and brifter covers as well.

We also used the optional crank and derailleur cover.

JT has a Quarq power meter on her road bike, so I opted to just leave the Speedplay pedals uncovered. I figured they are fairly bomb proof with not much to break.

And the bike unwrapped - you can see how it is firmly held in place by the adjustable metal frame.

And here we had no issues with the metal derailleur cage fitting on the bike as it should.

These bags are pretty slick all-around. Thus far there are only two things that I can think of that would make them even better: First, it would be nice if they had integrated side handles to help with lifting them up and down into the back of a vehicle. as it is you do kinda have to bear hug and wrestle the bag a bit to lift to up and down. Being a soft case this is relatively easy though as you can just grab and grip the fabric to do so. The second thing is there is no attachment point for a luggage tag (again, side handles could be used for this purpose) so we just left the front handle attached for the duration of our travels. I don't really see this as a shortcoming, but it is pretty obvious you are never going to sneak these bags through check-in without paying a bicycle handling fee. While I do see the fees the airlines charge as being ridiculous, it is not something that I spend too much time fretting over - that just seems like misspent energy to me.

All-in-all I am really pleased with these travel bags. Granted we have only made one round trip with them, but it did involve four plane flights. by the time we were done with vacation and Age Group Nationals. Since JT was not racing in Milwaukee, we shipped her Foil back home in the bag via BikeFlights and FedEx, and it also made it home without a scratch.
Quote Reply
Re: Review: Scicon AeroComfort Travel Cases [TankBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that review. I've been traveling with the Scicon hard case and plan to review it in the next month or so. Needless to say, yours looks much easier to pack (no need to remove base bar) but, personally, I'm not sure I'd be willing to chance it with a soft case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did all the padding you wrapped your bike in come with the bag or did you buy extra?
Chris

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own one too. Flew twice last year with it. P5 inside. All i did was unscrewed my aero bar extensions, add padding and packed it. Total time 10 minutes. I have flown with 4 different cases. Hands down the easiest to deal with.
Quote Reply
Re: Review: Scicon AeroComfort Travel Cases [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same. 58cm P5. So simple to pack. I like the suggestion about the longer skewer and spacers. I didn't do that and scuffed up the paint near the rear derailleur. No issues last year flying. I also don't pack a lot more in the bag. I think they might be more careful (hoping) with such a light bag with wheels! ;-)

Quote | Reply
Nice review! Those are some big (but very nice bags).

As for the comment someone posted related to soft bags, I recently went with one for a variety of reasons. I posted a little read review on it. ( http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5177803 )

This scicon bag definitely looks very quick to pack and sturdy, though expensive. Price, packed size, weight, and storage were my primary concerns. The bottom line is that I think that just about any case will do a good job if one takes the time to pack it appropriately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always been nervous about flying with my bike in a soft case for fear of it getting damaged, and have preferred either a full on hard shell case or a cardboard box. Interested to hear how many have used soft cases and had no issues of bikes getting damaged. I guess a cardboard box doesn't offer much more protection, just perhaps stands slightly straighter so another bag can be leant against it etc. These bags look really good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good stuff. I picked up a used on earlier this year and will be using it for the first time soon. Appreciate the tips on wrapping the bars and frame - looks like that company is out of stock currently but figured I could re-purpose the kids pool noodles in a pinch. Honestly I am more concerned about my Zipps getting smashed from the side than the frame damaged. Did you do anything special to those or just put them in the side pockets and pray?
Quote Reply
Re: Review: Scicon AeroComfort Travel Cases [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard or soft, IMO, it's all about the packing job you do. I flew to AZ twice in that bag last year. I used a Biknd soft case and went to China years ago. And i used some other soft case to go to Hawaii. All incident free. As i mentioned before, the scicon is so simple. Thats what I love about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice review. Just scored one of these tri bags BNIB off eBay for $270. Surely the bargain of the year.
Quote Reply
Re: Review: Scicon AeroComfort Travel Cases [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I would be less than honest if I didn't admit I was worried about that as well. I even made the point of purchasing a veloinsurance policy for both bikes prior to packing them up.
From what I can tell though, most travel damage that happens to bikes is not from a crushing force, but rather from a TSA examiner improperly repacking a bike. The only damage I ever incurred while traveling was exactly that, and in a hard case. The TSA employee took my wheels out of the case and then put the rear wheel back in backwards with the cassette against my frame. UGH. In their defense though I did have all kinds of other shit packed in the case and they had to remove the wheel to get at it. So, I would say the best way to avoid damage doesn't really have much to do with soft vs. hard, but rather making sure the TSA employees have easy access to your bike without having to unpack it at all. This case serves that purpose perfectly.

GreenPlease wrote:
Thanks for that review. I've been traveling with the Scicon hard case and plan to review it in the next month or so. Needless to say, yours looks much easier to pack (no need to remove base bar) but, personally, I'm not sure I'd be willing to chance it with a soft case.
Quote Reply
Re: Review: Scicon AeroComfort Travel Cases [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, the only thing that came with the triathlon version was the aerobar pad and the pad that goes over the base bar that the compression straps then go over on the elbow pads. The regular bike bag only came with this pad. The chainring/chain/rear derailleur protector and the base bar/brifter pads are an optional purchase. All of the gray/white pads with the thick velcro straps that you see in the pictures are what you get when you purchase a single set of AlboPads. I already had two sets of those that we used in our hard cases.

ck21trhc wrote:
did all the padding you wrapped your bike in come with the bag or did you buy extra?
Chris
Last edited by: TankBoy: Aug 16, 14 13:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi TankBoy,

I'm thinking about getting this travel bag for my new Felt IA as well. How much space is left in the bag after you're done packing? Is it possible to fit for example a Scicon double wheel bag along with the frame or is that totally out of the question? I would very much like to bring 2 sets of wheels with me :)

Kind regards
Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Review: Scicon AeroComfort Travel Cases [Knudsen88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Michael - short answer is no, I don't think so, at least not if you pack it correctly. There is a strap that passes through the front triangle of the bike that basically cinches the left and right side of the bag tightly together. If you had a wheel bag in there you would not be able to use that strap.

That said, there is a lot of room in the bag to pack other stuff if you were so compelled - I don't as the only time I had a bike completely effed up by TSA was the last time I packed one of my hard cases full of extra stuff and the screening personnel had to unpack it to check it out and then repacked it incorrectly. My seat post was almost sawed completely in half by my cassette.

Anyway, you *might* be able to get an additional wheel on each side of the bike (but def not two in a single wheelbag) if you don't utilize the center strap - I can take a look at it more closely this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Review: Scicon AeroComfort Travel Cases [Knudsen88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with tank boy. I probably wouldn't push the extra space that much and hope that everything makes it without incident.

That being said, I found tons of extra space. I routinely pack my transition bag full of stuff plus my wetsuit on top (extra padding).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How have you IA owners dealt with the rear derailleur? I read you had to get a different skewer for the rear but my bigger issue is I have a medium cage RD and the thing clearly sticks out even after using a ziptie to "pull it together". To me this is just exposed for anything to hit it and bend/brake it off. I am thinking the only solution is to get a custom piece made that can screw into the metal base of the bag preventing anything from hitting the RD.

Any additional thoughts here?

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Review: Scicon AeroComfort Travel Cases [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pictures really help. I would probably just take it off, bag it, and zip tie it to the chain stay. That is an easy one-bolt/one Allen wrench, no-adjustment-needed breakdown.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good point and probably the best way. I'm going to try other things however because I bought this thing specifically so nothing had to come off. I'm thinking of using the metal boxes used for wall outlets in home construction. It is solid, empty inside and should give me the dimensions I need to protect this bad boy. I haven't tried my regular bike yet but I expect it would stick out on all bikes with this design which makes no sense to me.

Worst case I'll take your suggestion and just undo it but I'll be damned if I give up on the idea of "Take your wheels off and pack" that I was sold on with this bag!!

Thanks for the genius insight!

------
Last edited by: cshowe80: Jan 30, 15 9:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting idea with the switch box, and I always like a little DIY experimentation. If you go that route I might at least go with the plastic version:

The best part is you could just nail it to the chain stay - no zip ties required.

By using a two (or three) gang box and some packing foam, you just might be able to work something out? You would probably need to figure out some way to attach the box to the steel bag frame - it seems like if you just fixed it to the derailer it would make it easier to break, not less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was thinking of using self tapping screws to affix it to the bag frame. 2x the bottom and 2x on the rear wheel "stand". Or simply two bolts from the underside coming upwards so I can easily take it off with wingnuts or similar. Plastic is probably lighter and impacts don't "Dent/Bend" it like metal. See below photo for the example of where the bolts/screws would go.

I'll keep you guys all posted with what I end up doing. I need to find a press drill so I'm not doing a rinky dinky job.

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow - that looks like it could be a pretty brilliant mod, actually! Do keep us posted - very interested in what you come up with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've travelled with this bike case and my Felt IA with no wall outlets and no major mods without issue.

just lots of packing matterial.

No issues at all...
Quote Reply
Re: Review: Scicon AeroComfort Travel Cases [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Tank Boy -
Question: how do you unscrew your aerobar extensions? On a 54 P5 and having trouble clearing the aerobars when zipping up the scicon bag.

Appreciate your reply. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Review: Scicon AeroComfort Travel Cases [swimbikerunv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to remove my aerobar extensions with my P5 - even with the tri version. But pretty easy compared to removing fork right?

Quote | Reply
Thanks Jar70- big question: how do you remove them
Scared of messing with the hydraulic brake cables, etc.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply

Prev Next