Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rev 3 Maine now an Ironman 70.3
Quote | Reply
Thoughts? I love this race. Did it as a Challenge event. Great area too. Is Rev 3 going away again?

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Maine now an Ironman 70.3 [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/maine.aspx#/axzz4PLjslnXa

My guess is they will "officially" announce it in the next day or so.

Bummer

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rev3 is still going strong. Rev3 is actually going to be running this race just like it always has, but has taken on the IM70.3 name for this race only.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Maine now an Ironman 70.3 [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
Rev3 is still going strong. Rev3 is actually going to be running this race just like it always has, but has taken on the IM70.3 name for this race only.

Perhaps I am reading into what you posted, but that sounds like Ironman may acquire Rev3? How does Rev3 still run the race, but as an Ironman event? I understand that the same race director and crew will be doing the race, but not Rev3 as a company.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just like any other 70.3 that is run by local companies. Look at IM Atlantic City 70.3. That is run entirely by DelmoSports, but they put the IM brand on it. This will be the case here as well. I don't think there is any talk of straight-up acquisition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh my fucking God. When will they stop buying everything?

Maine was going to be my non-WTC race next year. Timing was perfect. Guess I'm going to Quassy instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:

Yeah, it's listed on the Rev3 Events page page as IM Maine 70.3, and has a link to the Ironman site.

I wonder if they will start running more of their races under the IM 70.3 umbrella.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:

Huh? So is it going to be Rev3 pricing of Ironman pricing?

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
Just like any other 70.3 that is run by local companies. Look at IM Atlantic City 70.3. That is run entirely by DelmoSports, but they put the IM brand on it. This will be the case here as well. I don't think there is any talk of straight-up acquisition.

Canceling two races and having another become an IM 70.3 in just a matter of a few days only points in one direction.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Maine now an Ironman 70.3 [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
noofus wrote:

Yeah, it's listed on the Rev3 Events page page as IM Maine 70.3, and has a link to the Ironman site.

I wonder if they will start running more of their races under the IM 70.3 umbrella.
Races that are kept independent but run under the IM umbrella do so for a limited time, then they either get bought outright by WTC if they perform, or totally cancelled if they underperform.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:

But who OWNS it? Does WTC now own it and can decide whenever they want to just cancel it altogether?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:

Ironman either owns/operates its races or licenses them to race management companies. If it is a license relationship, then Rev 3 must have approached IM. WTC would not license to Challenge, but perhaps they perceive Rev 3 as such a miniscule threat that they agreed to it. It doesn't bode well for Rev3s future as an independent company.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Maine now an Ironman 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
noofus wrote:

Canceling two races and having another become an IM 70.3 in just a matter of a few days only points in one direction.

Exactly. If your company is "going strong", you don't cancel two races and switch another to your competitor's brand.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Maine now an Ironman 70.3 [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
noofus wrote:

Huh? So is it going to be Rev3 pricing of Ironman pricing?

price went up from $199 to $265 for early registration. here we go.

guess its only a matter of time before IM takes over the local turkey trots
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Maine now an Ironman 70.3 [Gskalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gskalt wrote:

guess its only a matter of time before IM takes over the local turkey trots

I am so totally getting an MDot tattoo after I finish this year's Turkey Trot 5k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It certainly seems like Rev3 is a mess.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Maine now an Ironman 70.3 [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
Huh? So is it going to be Rev3 pricing or Ironman pricing?

Not a ton of difference. Quassy early bird was $219, but now is $250

Most WTC 70.3 races are $230 to $285

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lol. this race is going to go from having pretty good attendance to a shit ton of attendance.

i bet participation easily doubles, timberman might take a slight hit though.

john
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Maine now an Ironman 70.3 [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
lol. this race is going to go from having pretty good attendance to a shit ton of attendance.

i bet participation easily doubles, timberman might take a slight hit though.

john

Yes. Everyone wants to do an Ironman, even thought isn't even an Ironman. But their office mates won't know that.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Maine now an Ironman 70.3 [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
noofus wrote:

Exactly. If your company is "going strong", you don't cancel two races and switch another to your competitor's brand.

It is certainly not crazy to think WTC's takeover of Rev3 is imminent. Not saying it's going to happen today, tomorrow, or next week but I don't see Rev3 making it to years end.

Anyone who doesn't think Rev3 is done is delusional. This is only going one way.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does this mean for Timberman? they still havent announced a date OR listed when registration is
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Maine now an Ironman 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt it all happened in a matter of days. It was announced in a short time frame, but that doesn't really mean too much.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Maine now an Ironman 70.3 [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:

is it? or are they getting into strategic relationships? maybe the IM name behind it will help them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gskalt wrote:
ironcode wrote:

is it? or are they getting into strategic relationships? maybe the IM name behind it will help them.

I was thinking this as well. Maybe they are changing their business model. They will stage and direct the races under the IM moniker.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is not good for their brand, in the sense they have had in the past few years. Their meld with Challenge didn't turn out too well and it looks like operating on their own last year wasn't fruitful either. Cancelling two races and selling a third doesn't inspire confidence to me, just looking in from the outside. They might have a great plan in place but they are not communicating it, which would make me uncomfortable signing up for a Rev3 branded race. I hate to see anyone in trouble!
Quote Reply

Prev Next