Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [Runningwithwine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runningwithwine wrote:
meuf wrote:
You left out the six flipping hours to get T1 gear to finish. That is my deal breaker. Absolutely unacceptable

When people sign up to volunteer and don't show up - it makes it challenging. But the bags made it.

you know this for a fact or you are guessing?

regardless does not explain SIX HOURS for those of racing OLY
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
meuf wrote:
Runningwithwine wrote:
meuf wrote:
You left out the six flipping hours to get T1 gear to finish. That is my deal breaker. Absolutely unacceptable

When people sign up to volunteer and don't show up - it makes it challenging. But the bags made it.

I was one of the racers who volunteered to help organize and distribute the bags once they came - believe me, it was hot and we all were tired, but we got it done :)
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [Runningwithwine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runningwithwine wrote:
meuf wrote:
Runningwithwine wrote:
meuf wrote:

I was one of the racers who volunteered to help organize and distribute the bags once they came - believe me, it was hot and we all were tired, but we got it done :)

yeah the bold is my issue. had they been there at the 3 hour mark would not have been an issue.

and to top it off, the email they just sent with the link to see photos brings you to an error page of no galleries found. lmao
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't worry. The pictures will be ready as soon as the timing results are ready.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was able to see the pictures just fine.

Perhaps it is working now.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran the race too. Some comments:

1. We had complete access to both transitions on race morning. You had to have your BIKE in T1 the day before, but you could have put all your other gear in both transitions on race morning.
2. There were plenty of drinks post-race: they had several coolers full of drinks, all of which were cold. They were all in front of the food troughs.

The swim was awful. I also saw about 20-30 men in my wave cheating by turning at the Olympic buoy instead of the Half one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth: I've done 5 local triathlons at Jamestown beach and they ALWAYS have the swim start on the right and end on the left, because that's always how the current is going. I was shocked to see Rev3 do it backwards, and wasn't surprised when we rounded the red buoy and felt the current. That was a long 30 minutes on that leg of the swim :-/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed a racer helping out with the bags after the race and I was both impressed and grateful to you, or to whomever that was, for doing that!
Many thanks.

Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
James,
I respect your talent and knowledge in this sport. As a Set Up Events customer, you and I have raced the same races many times including Holden Beach (you won) and White Lake Half (you were 2nd). I know you have a pro card, as well (I see you in the 1st picture of the Williamsburg photo gallery on the main page).

I responded to a post from an individual who said he/she would never do a point to point race again because of Rev3 Williamsburg. Do you think that is fair? B2B may have had some challenges back in 2009 or 2010, but I think you have to admit it runs pretty smoothly these days.

Wouldn't you tell someone that they should give races like B2B or Raleigh (or even Williamsburg) a chance and don't let the 2 transitions scare them away?

Sincerely
J. Alan Parker

I feel as though the tone of your post implied that Rev3 had MORE problems than other nearby first-time races due to its being a p2p race. I do not think that is true. B2B now has a completely different bike and run course due to logistical problems it faced in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011. I can't speak personally to Raleigh.

Rev3 Williamsburg did, in fact, have some issues. I am not sure they could have been prevented without extensive first hand knowledge of the area. Two transitions is always a logistical headache from an athlete's perspective. I think it was handled pretty darn well.

Luckily, myself and Matt Wistoff had another person to drive us to T2 in the morning and T1. That removes a ton of headache.

I am confident that 2014 will bring a much smoother race if it happens (and I hope it does). The community was very good with cycling in general when I attended school there from 03-07 so hopefully it can embrace this new event, traffic problems and all.

Ahh Whisty!! Those long flowing heavenly locks. Sooooo dreamy

Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, a bunch of people came up to us the day before asking if he was the guy from Endurance Magazine cover haha. So hilarious and awesome. His hair is quite recognizable. Having to sleep next to those locks for 2 nights was simply intimidating!

Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Dude, a bunch of people came up to us the day before asking if he was the guy from Endurance Magazine cover haha. So hilarious and awesome. His hair is quite recognizable. Having to sleep next to those locks for 2 nights was simply intimidating!

Lucky bastard!

Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"No hand sanitizer at the porta pottys."

when in the port-o-john, don't get poop on your hands. you'll be good.

"
While doing the swim portion, a kid on a paddle board crashed into me. That really shook me up. How that happened, I'll never know, but he should have been paying better attention."

here's one way this can happen. not saying it did, just, in my experience, one way: you crashed into him.

"
When I got to the swim finish, I was told my chip was being pulled. I looked at my watch and it said 1:17"

this lends credence to the notion you ran into the paddleboarder. and, i hate to sound elitist, because we get that rap here at slowtwitch, but, you're doing an olympic swim distance and you're upset because they yanked you after a 1:17 swim? if i was the RD i'd have had a 1hr cut-off for a half-IM swim.

now, yes, this seems to have been a slow swim. up-river. still, i looked at the splits. i didn't see that it was that out of the question to do this swim in under 1hr. that seems a pretty achievable time by just about anyone able-bodied.

as to the rest of your gripes, they sound legitimate. but the other gripes, if the port-a-john ran out of TP, i'd say that's a legitimate gripe. but hand sanitizer?
as to the swim yank, bottom line, you were not ready. you did not prepare adequately for the swim.

thank you for registering here. thank you for posting. your posts are absolutely welcome. and i want this to be a place of help for you, if you've come here to improve as an athlete, as well as to register your dissatisfaction. that established, you were not ready for the swim, in my estimate. triathlons are not bike races, in that you don't have to be a freak of nature just to hang. but they aren't 5k run-walks either.

you need to spend at least 6000 yards a week in the pool, bare bare minimum, over the next month, and really closer to 10,000 yards a week. i'll personally help you with workouts, if you want, if you don't mind this being a learning exercise for everybody. you and i and all the other really back of the pack swimmers, let's agree to move you all way, way up in the field. if you're game, i'm game, and we'll do this as a group. maybe this swim leg yank is a negative we can turn into a positive.

This race was fantaric for a first time event other than the swim logistics which will get fixed. I've done over half the 70.3s in the US and would like to echo Dan's tone and say many of you are a bunch of cry babies and liken your comments to complaining a out a gnat on a rhyno's ass.

I think the OP is upset he had a meltdown on the run and is looking to flame Rev3. NOT COOL!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [warrior_80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my first Rev3 race experience and I loved it! I raced the Olympic, but then had a quick transition and finished my day working in the medical tent for the Olympic/half athletes. I am local and think they did a great job picking the course so will try to comment on a few posts I read.

Swim - no problems with the swim or direction of the course. I did the pre-swim Saturday and we had the current with us. Maybe the storm switched directions, but it wasn't that bad, and everyone had to deal with it. I don't feel it is the duty of race directors to set up a course so every race can be a PR. Accept a challenge and deal with the conditions - stop swimming only in the pool and try some open water swims is what I was told recently when lamenting about the swim - great advice. I know Set Up Events does a good job giving local athletes the benefit of the current - but they set up the morning of the race and don't have pre-swims. Rev3 already had the course set up and had to accept the change in conditions.

Bike - about as challenging as you can get for our area. They made it fun. Everyone should know the course and know the rough spot on Jolly Pond. Whoever was complaining of tree overhang causing low visibility - please give me a break. When it is hot and humid all summer that tree overhang creates a nice buffer from the blaring sun overhead. Change your sunglasses and enjoy the course.

Run - you will never be able to run down DOG (Duke of Gloucester) street or in the colonial area for a race this size. Only hope is do the Run for the Dream road race in early June. They shut down the road early and it is open again very early prior to stores opening. Keeping the run course open forever like Rev3 does will never allow this "downtown WB race experience". It was another great and challenging course with hills running through one of the oldest colleges in the US.

Other issues:
- since I worked the medical tent after the race til the bitter end, I will confirm that there was plenty of post race food and water left over at the end of the day. We even had a few smart people walk over to our medical tent after and ask for more water or Gatorade and our answer was sure, keep re-hydrating
- finish area was well marked and guess what - it was set up on Friday before packet pick-up! It was very easy at packet pick up to walk through the 2nd transition and know where the bike would end and the run start. They had the race finish chute set up so if you could count to 1 for Olympic and 2 for the half you knew how many laps to do before you ran into the finish chute. Once again - know the course and don't show ignorance by complaining afterwards. Accept some personal responsibility for your race.
- bag transport - I am not sure Rev3 will admit to this as they seem like a great company that will accept all issues as their own but - I heard that the local vendor they hired to transport the bags made a mistake and showed up with the wrong size truck. They had to return to get a larger truck, and by then were forced to wait in traffic = massive delay in bag arrival. Mistakes happen and this caused a lot of grief but I would not blame Rev3 100% on this one

All in all it was a great race and experience. I know Rev3 will learn and I hope this race will grow into a yearly classic. Thanks to everyone at Rev3 for being so friendly and coming to our hometown and putting out a challenging but fun and rewarding race experience. I cant wait to do more of your races. Congrats Charlie on #4!!
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [warrior_80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does seem to be some whiners here but I don't believe the original OP meant it that way ;0)

Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just want them to come back, the races here are few or far way.

http://vimeo.com/69369357 cool video good looking slow dude at :27 seconds

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like they listened and HOPEFULLY did their homework for next year.

Email from REV3:

This past June, you all raced with us at Rev3 Williamsburg. We are saddened to say that it wasn't our teams best showing. Between some logistical issues on race day with bags getting back on time, river conditions going hay wire on us and some traffic delays beyond what we could have imagined. We feel it is only appropriate to offer you all a special discount towards the 2014 race. Essentially, we are asking for a second chance.

We are better than what you witnessed this past June and we want an opportunity to make it up to you. To start, we are making some changes to the race this coming year. The finish line and expo area are being moved from the W&M campus, to Warhill Sports Complex, a few miles outside of town. Second, the run course will now be in a new location, with less twists and turns. Also, we will be adding a number of extra shuttle buses to the race morning routine. No more waiting in long lines or being worried that you won't make the swim start in time.

REV3 Williamsburg, presented by James City County, will be June 15th, which is one weekend earlier then this past year. The expo and finish line is moving to Warhill Park in Williamsburg. This past year, the finish and expo were at the William & Mary Campus. Warhill Park offers more space, less congestion and it should ease much of the traffic issues that were encountered this year. The athletes and the community will certainly welcome this change!

"We are excited to announce that we are moving our finish line and expo just down the road to the Warhill Sports Complex. It will provide a new and improved run course as well as an exciting finish in their 3,000 seat stadium. We are confident that this will make the event much more athlete, family, and spectator friendly. The swim and bike courses will primarily be the same but we will make some minor adjustments to improve our athlete's experience." - Eric Opdyke, Race Director.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With Challenge set to announce their new race to be held the third weekend in June I am wondering how that is going to effect Rev3 and possibly Eagleman

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is the Challenge race? Rev3 moved Williamsburg one week earlier for next year - June 15. Eagleman is June 8.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a video released with Macca saying Mid-Atlantic third week of June
http://video.silverlineathletics.com/...;bctid=2662663343001

http://www.challenge-family.com/...-arrives-in-the-usa/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah - so still unknown. I'd like to give the improved Rev3 a shor since it's local for me and they are offering 25% discount....but I'm starting to become an inaugural race whore so maybe a double with Challenge the next week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well given that it is not local for me and getting to/from there was the other hassle, I am not going back. Not sure I will do another inaugural race either.
I also am not so sure I want to do a point to point again after the bag fiasco.

But I am giving Rev 3 another shot (2 actually) Florida HIM in November and Quassy next June
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect people will have a mixed reaction to the changes. The change of the T2/Finish line and added shuttles likely will lessen a lot of the terrible problems with traffic and getting to T1. Plus it completely changes the run. The original run was a lame 2-lap tour of William and Mary's parking lots and sidewalks, so I'm happy to see the run change. But now the race is rather far out of town, quite away from all the hotels, so more people will have to drive to the race that morning. It also means all of the race is outside Williamsburg, so perhaps the race should now be called The 'burbs of Colonial Williamsburg. (I recognize that there's no way in hell the race could go through actual Colonial Williamsburg or Jamestown.) Whether the race is better for spectators,I don't know. It looks like T2 will be in the midst of a little league/soccer rec park pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

It doesn't look like they'll change the swim but I don't think they really should. The swim problems were the result of a rather freak confluence of factors (heavy rains upstream, SuperMoon tide). I was far more annoyed by the course cutters than the current.

Got to say, I'm liking that Rev3 long sleeved t-shirt right now at Savageman. It's cold up here.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The swim was an unfortunate result of lots of rain upstream. I did Patriots this past weekend at the same location and sll was good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
meuf wrote:
But I am giving Rev 3 another shot (2 actually) Florida HIM in November and Quassy next June

I'd like to give Rev3 another shot too. Charlie, any chance of a discount for those participants who want try Williamsburg again?
Quote Reply

Prev Next