Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [BBB1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let us remember that the issue with the change at T-1 was due to people parking where they should not and were told not to park.

Chairs at the finish line and some distance between the finish chute and awards ceremony would have been nice but not a show stopper

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [Cervelo Apple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very nice Reader's Digest version!

While I hope to see this event back next year, I've decided that I like taking a chance on inaugural races - I've got some great collector's items from IMNYC last year :)

Cervelo Apple wrote:

Conclusions.

1) Never race an event during its inaugural year.
2) Rev3 has an issue with post-race food and water.
3) Rev3 has a problem with BOPers.
4) Rev3 has a problem with timing.
5) There are not enough course marshals at Rev3 events.
6) Race mornings at Rev3 can be a cluster for many people.

Rev3 does a fine job with many of the races, but it is concerning that there are certain issues that are not getting fixed despite constant assurances (after problems arise) that they will be fixed.

The honeymoon period is over. These races need to continue keeping people's interests or else attendance will start to fall and the situation only gets worse as cash flow slows. For me the price is too high to really jump in with both feet. I don't see the value vs. other races, but I think 75% of triathlons are charging way too much.
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Jun 25, 13 9:54
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bmanners wrote:
Should have just had lunch like I did :0) I went there after lunch and no wait at all

I took my t2 stuff back to my car on education lot walked back then left showered got my kids ate lunch and still had to wait.

It meant hitting not only the constant VA traffic (95 is a parking lot) but the delay meant hitting NJ traffic too

Teenage boys farting and complaining for 9 hours
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [ezerkle001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your post resonated with me a bit so I thought I finally get around to posting a response. It's got to sting for the Rev3 personnel and their friends to see this thread. But I hope they come to see that it's actually a quite awesome and useful resource if they take a lot that's written here seriously. What you have here are dozens of detailed critiques of the race. This is so much better than a post-race survey. Post-race surveys force us to answer particular questions that don't always seem to offer exactly the correct choices or even the right questions. Those little text boxes they provide are really too annoying to post anything detailed. So I think surveys provide a distorted picture or perhaps just part of the picture. This thread gives Rev3 all sorts of detail about different aspects of the race and from different perspectives. There's a post immediately upthread from a spectator that provides a perspective that isn't going to show up much surveys but is vitally important because the experience of our families will dictate in part whether we do this race again. Sure, the thread is almost all critical, but that's the nature of such things. I can't recall anything in this thread that directed towards Rev3 in any way that's meant to be personal. It's clear that the folks at Rev3 put their hearts and souls into this race; I think (hope) everyone knows that.

BTW, I was really impressed with Team Z on Sunday. You guys had tons of competitors there and they all seemed supportive of each other and really having a good time, even those who were suffering on the back end of the race (with me!).
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [sandtiger steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked at the Rev3 Finisher results and it looks like ~103 DNF's for the 70.3 out of 570 (18%) starters. Compare this with Quassy where there were 62 DNF's out of 997 starters (6%). For the Olympic, it looks like 8 DNF's out of 443 starters. I don't know if all of these were from the swim course, but I saw a lot of people on boats headed back to the shore. The swim conditions on the 70.3 course became more difficult further off-shore. The sad part is this should have been prevented. Hopefully the conditions and planning will be better next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
meuf wrote:
Bmanners wrote:
Should have just had lunch like I did :0) I went there after lunch and no wait at all

I took my t2 stuff back to my car on education lot walked back then left showered got my kids ate lunch and still had to wait.

It meant hitting not only the constant VA traffic (95 is a parking lot) but the delay meant hitting NJ traffic too

You might do better with route 13 over the chesapeake bay bridge tunnel and the eastern shore next time. If there is a next time. Cut out as much of 95 as is possible. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Point taken -- I think the bigger issue was driving 50 miles out of my way after racing-- I live in Raleigh so it certainly could have been worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [hooslisa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hooslisa wrote:

-the announcer. i'm not trying to attack the guy. i'm sure he's nice, but there is a difference between being charismatic and being rude. i think he went over the line a few times. the one that really annoyed me was when he was announcing that the post race food was only for racers. i believe the quote was something along the lines of "if you wanted food, you should have packed a snack." Seriously? it's an early race. many spectators were out in the pouring rain early on. we've shuttled from t1 to t2. we're hungry and THAT is what he says? i get that the food was only for racers, but he could have stated that without sounding like a jerk. this was just ONE example of the several times i heard him be pushy and condescending. there were a few times that i heard him call out people inappropriately as well. just ease up a little, guy. more announcing...a little less 'tude. (for the record: i had packed food and was fine.)

Unacceptable.

I have heard of similar situations at prior Rev3 races with race staff having that type of rude, condescending BS attitude, like including "boss" at the end of a sentence when addressing a racer. Totally inappropriate. I almost think its due to geography or something. Maybe up north it is accepted more? Don't know.

Ironic that the race organization that prides itself on being family friendly is probably the least family friendly when it comes to post race food and drink.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
i'll personally help you with workouts, if you want, if you don't mind this being a learning exercise for everybody.

Slowman,
If she passes, I'll volunteer to be your swim project. I seriously need the help and I'll do the yards.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: Jun 25, 13 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
meuf wrote:
Bmanners wrote:

That's why I like to plan a few extra days at any race that requires 4 or more hours of driving. It kind of dulls the pain. But it is a constant dull pain for 5-7 days :o)

Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [rexmorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rexmorgan wrote:
I looked at the Rev3 Finisher results and it looks like ~103 DNF's for the 70.3 out of 570 (18%) starters. Compare this with Quassy where there were 62 DNF's out of 997 starters (6%). For the Olympic, it looks like 8 DNF's out of 443 starters. I don't know if all of these were from the swim course, but I saw a lot of people on boats headed back to the shore. The swim conditions on the 70.3 course became more difficult further off-shore. The sad part is this should have been prevented. Hopefully the conditions and planning will be better next year.

I'm not sure if Rev3 knows who is a DNF vs. a DNS. There was no timing mat before we went into the water that I saw. So they actually didn't have any idea who was in the water as far as I could tell. There was a narrow gate to enter the swim start, but there wasn't a mat unless they had some other type of sensor to detect the chips.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a mat under the arch I believe. They were making sure all athletes past through it prior to the start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that there was a timing mat under the sand .... at least thats what i heard.

Not sure how you are calculating the DNFs. My final run split isnt showing up yet ... so i dont have all three times. But i sure as hell finished :)

Was wondering how to figure out from the list how many people they pulled out of the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kcb203 wrote:
There was no timing mat before we went into the water that I saw. So they actually didn't have any idea who was in the water as far as I could tell. There was a narrow gate to enter the swim start, but there wasn't a mat unless they had some other type of sensor to detect the chips.

There was a sensor buried under the sand. I went into the start corral on the far right side and saw the wires and the timing guys watching the screen as people walked in.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First Rev-3 event, first time to Williamsburg and while I enjoyed the weekend get-away, I did not have the race I had hoped. I agree with many of the observations about the course that others have noted but I am also appreciative of the RD's efforts and I hope that this race will evolve into a great one on the circuit.

However, the biggest disappointment of all was the disappearance of my fiance's helmet cam while his gear was in T2. I am trying to be optimistic that it will be turned in (lost & found) but given that it was securely fastened to his helmet when he came back from the bike, and it was gone when he went to collect his stuff afterwards, neither of us is hopeful.

Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
kcb203 wrote:
There was no timing mat before we went into the water that I saw. So they actually didn't have any idea who was in the water as far as I could tell. There was a narrow gate to enter the swim start, but there wasn't a mat unless they had some other type of sensor to detect the chips.

There was a sensor buried under the sand. I went into the start corral on the far right side and saw the wires and the timing guys watching the screen as people walked in.

I stand corrected.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [tri'em] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sucks big time! I did fin a front wheel and turned it in at the hotel desk in case the person came back for it I was going sight seeing with family so only option. I was going to check back at desk when I got back and get wheel then post here and BT but forgot :0(

Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [rev3tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Charlie,

Congratulations on your 4th. I hope all are healthy and happy. Thank you for letting us know you are out there listening. This was my first Rev3 race, and I was mildly underwhelmed after all of the great things I had heard. Your response speaks volumes about Rev3's commitment, and I will look forward to the next opportunity I have to run one of your events.

On the positive side Williamsburg was a great venue, and the potential for a premier race is unlimited. The volunteers were outstanding, and the police support was absolutely superb. Some of those officers had to deal with some pretty surly traffic/drivers. I really hope this race sticks around, and I hope to be there again next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [krupkake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
krupkake wrote:
Wow, I'd love for the chance for Slowman to improve my swim!

Heck, I'd love for a chance for anyone to improve my swim. Hey Slowman, when can we start?

For the record, I ran into a Paddle board too, but I imagine that it was because she was looking for troubled swimmers in an area in which I was not swimming, and I wasn't exactly moving in a predictable straight line, which is normally not a problem for me. It was no big deal, really not much different than running into another swimmer by accident. I would like to take this opportunity apologize to what seemed like the entire pink and lavender swim waves for having to swim over the top of me. I try to stay on the outside and out of the way, because I know I am slow and the only way I'm going to end up on the podium is if I am in a 3-man AG. I just couldn't manage to stay out of the way on Sunday.

Hang in there madashell. I hope you don't let this experience drag you down too far. I imagine that most of the DNF's that finished biking and running were Half-Rev participants that managed to sneak their bikes past the volunteers while there was still plenty of T-1 "exiting" going on.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I think this was the best part of the whole weekend. This is one of the funniest race pictures ever...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haha. ...I should go back and delete all my criticism. this photo wins :)

http://www.hooslisa.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seriously, I should too. As much as that and the medal make me laugh, I gotta say its a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you should keep that medal in your purse for when you're out at night by yourself. you can club anyone who attacks to death with it.

http://www.hooslisa.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hooslisa wrote:
you should keep that medal in your purse for when you're out at night by yourself. you can club anyone who attacks to death with it.

hahahahahaha - so true

I totally missed the photo thing damn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, it does come with guns. Two of them!
Quote Reply

Prev Next