Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rev3 Cedar Point the hardest swim I've done
Quote | Reply
Swam into 2 foot chop for .4 miles then across it for .4 then with it for .4. The full distance people did it twice. The safety crew was awesome on a really hard day.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Cedar Point the hardest swim I've done [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That swim was brutal. They announced today they pulled around 60 people out of the water and the waves were 2-4 feet. I couldn't see the bouys most of the swim and had to look for the kayakers holding their paddles up. I agree the safety crew was awesome, they were everywhere on the course and did a great job of keeping an eye on everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Cedar Point the hardest swim I've done [andrewnova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a little panic moment myself but right around then there were some screams for help from behind me and I just continued on.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was really amazing. I was body surfing during the warm-ups (no exaggeration). While preparing to start, we convinced ourselves that it would get calmer as we got away from shore. It did not. I was very grateful that I am a right-side breather as we swim parallel to shore. After swimming 1.2mi, can't imagine doing the full IM swim.

I didn't race last year, but I know they moved the swim to the opposite side of the point, because of the water conditions... can't imagine how bad that must have been!

John Hartpence, Athlete & Coach
tripence@gmail.com, @coachpence
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Cedar Point the hardest swim I've done [tripence] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too was convinced it would calm down after the start buoy and that we would have the current with us for most of the swim. Felt really bad for everyone I told that too on the beach.

It was the toughest swim I've ever done. I stopped trying to swim hard and just swam stopping to sight every 10 strokes because I was only able to see anything every 10 times I sighted while I was swimming.

Stood up on the each and looked back at the water in disbelief for a few moments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it normally like that or were those unusual conditions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That swim was rockin! I swear I laughed two or three times at the absurdity of it at some points. Seemed like it would calm down right up until a buoy, then I'd get slammed in the face two or three in a row, then it'd calm down again.

It was a way slow swim for me, but seemed that way across the board.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Cedar Point the hardest swim I've done [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it in 2011 and 2012, and it wasn't that bad in either year.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was calm at 7am the day before for the sprint race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surprised they did not move it to the inner bay as they did last year 2013.... 2012 was really calm...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the full (my first IM distance). I can tell you that starting off with that swim was not the most confidence inspiring experience for a rookie. With the way the buoys were set for the full, you got the "with current" for only one of the six .4 legs. Lots of people seasick, some throwing up in the water. I went 1:35 after planning around 1:15. And 1:35 was in the top half of my age group. The water was also warmish (72/73) so it got pretty hot working against the waves. Nasty.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Cedar Point the hardest swim I've done [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://rev3live.com/page/3/

What am I missing? This is what the bay looked like last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the half yesterday, also I did Challenge AC, and Cozumel (2012 where they pulled 300+ out of the water). So if you see my name in any race, be ready for a bad swim... just sayin.

The swim was bad but I felt like we were moving somewhat, if you timed your stroke right. If you've done any surfing in your past life, then you should've been ok... I did feel like I spent a lot more energy to move though and swallowed too much of that water. I was about 5min slower ~35min.

Compare to the other bad swims I've done, I would put Rev3 after Cozumel and Challenge and would say Cozumel endless pool swim still win over Challenge and Rev3. Nothing like swimming and staying in place and try to move 2.4 miles.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Cedar Point the hardest swim I've done [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to thank the tough ass swim for evening the playing field for me with all the MUCH better swimmers out there. I'll take all the help I can get.

Last edited by: leegoocrap: Sep 12, 14 14:39
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Cedar Point the hardest swim I've done [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am looking into doing this event and taking the family here for next year. I understand it will be a Challenge event.

any recomendations?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I volunteered and worked the swim exit (at the mat exiting beach).
I saw some people that looked like they had looked into the eyes of the beast.
Awesome effort folks... glad I didn't swim yesterday.
Hard to tell from a pic, but...

https://www.facebook.com/...980164194&type=1[/url]
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Cedar Point the hardest swim I've done [Dirtsmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirtsmart wrote:
I am looking into doing this event and taking the family here for next year. I understand it will be a Challenge event.

any recomendations?

It's one of those places that staying at the host hotel is actually a benefit. Walking out your back door to swim start is awesome. As far as prepping for the event, think ocean swim, not lake swim.

Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Cedar Point the hardest swim I've done [Kevin Curtis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The day before when conditions were calmer:

The first/last four/five miles of the bike course feature many bumps and poor pavement with the need to keep scanning for the next hazard. In 2011, the lake was table flat for the event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in 2011 the water was smooth, but crazy amount of mud on beach; last year the waves looked like we were at the ocean and we were thankful they moved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was my first full distance, so I do not know any better. The minute I started to swim I realized that all my swimming lessons and hours in the pool were for nothing :) I could not do a thing I learned. I could hardly spot a buoy because the waves were so high. Once I reached the yellow buoy, I could not see where is the next one?! The red buoys were not visible, they were too dark. The only part I enjoyed was the final swim line along the orange buoys :) the waves helped at that point. Planned my swim 1:10, but did it at 1:34. I was unhappy with my swimming time until I learned about dozen swim DNFs who were pulled out of the water. I don't know if it was the rough swim that effected my bike, but I did most of the bike leg in pain. But this is another story. Nevertheless, I have finished the full distance and was not the last one.
Now I wonder how would I do with a good swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Cedar Point the hardest swim I've done [potomuchto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My training partner did the full. He said it didn't feel right on the bike until around 50 miles in.

I'm normally a 32-33 min HIM swimmer and I swam a 37. With that experience I think I could swim in just about anything now.

Still I was really impressed with the safety crew, that girl holding onto the first (or second) swim buoy scanning through all of the swimmers watching for trouble was really serious. When she heard someone call for help she took off and got to him in no time.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Potomuchto: Pretty sure your swimming lessons and hours in the pool were not for nothing. Maybe you couldn't put tons of technique to work but you finished the swim and finished your race. The people that didn't put the time in in the pool (or OWS) were less likely to make it through. I know that I felt like I was swimming too much in training according to my plan/coach, but now I'm glad I did. Wouldn't have made it through that second leg into the waves without all those 4000 yard workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Cedar Point the hardest swim I've done [Sean11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean11 wrote:
Potomuchto: Pretty sure your swimming lessons and hours in the pool were not for nothing. Maybe you couldn't put tons of technique to work but you finished the swim and finished your race. The people that didn't put the time in in the pool (or OWS) were less likely to make it through. I know that I felt like I was swimming too much in training according to my plan/coach, but now I'm glad I did. Wouldn't have made it through that second leg into the waves without all those 4000 yard workouts.

Thanks, Sean! I feel better now :)
I think you are right, I did not do it before, but just now added all swimming and it came up that I did 96.5 miles on my 20 weeks plan. If I knew it before, I would add another 3.5 miles somehow to have a nice number 100 :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually the finial swim leg was weird for me.

With the choppy waves, a wave would come up behind me, lift my legs up and put my head under water.

jaertj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was areal beast for sure. I've been swimming 31-33 minutes on measured courses all summer and I swam 42 minutes on Sunday. About 2 minutes in I got kicked in the face--never saw the guy until the kick. I was swallowing water about every 5th wave on the first leg and just decided to back-off and stay under control and get to the beach. After the first turn, it wasn't that bad--just a rough swim. It put me in a hole competitively that I had to really work hard to try to overcome the rest of the race.....

42 is disappointing but I'll hang my hat on perseverance....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply

Prev Next