Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rev3 Barrelman is now open for registration
Quote | Reply
Rev3 and Barrelman have merged to produce a 70.3 event. I did sign up and I will let Fleck provide more details.
Last edited by: Billyk24: Nov 11, 16 15:50
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Barrelman 70.3 is now open for registration [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
Rev3 and Barrelman have merged to produce a 70.3 event. I did sign up and I will let Fleck provide more details.

I hope John comes on to discuss this....I am a little confused why he decided to team up with Rev 3 on this particular race when Barrellman seemed to be doing so well on its own.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Barrelman 70.3 is now open for registration [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Billyk24 wrote:

I hope John comes on to discuss this....I am a little confused why he decided to team up with Rev 3 on this particular race when Barrellman seemed to be doing so well on its own.

Answered in post #10 by John Salt

So who owns what now?: Triathlon Forum: Slowtwitch Forums

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe I read they were looking for more US exposure.

I'm looking to make this my first half so pretty excited about it all around!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it's just words, numbers and language, but they are all incredibly important in the world of business, branding and trade-marks.

To the best of my knowledge "70.3" is a brand/mark that is owned by Ironman. The safe way of referring to the event in question now, is as a HalfRev or it's original name, The Barrelman. At a stretch you might be able to say, half-iron-distance . . but that might even be over the line.

In other words, to the OP - a suggestion, you might want to change the name/title of this thread.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Nov 11, 16 11:02
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Barrelman 70.3 is now open for registration [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark et al,

I have copied this from a post I added this morning on another thread.

Niagara Falls Barrelman has been, is and will remain as being owned and operated by our team at MultiSport Canada. We have been producing quality triathlons for the past 15 years and we are the largest triathlon series in Canada.

Here are the facts as it relates to Niagara Falls Barrelman and our new relationship with Rev3:
- Multisport Canada developed, owns, has produced Niagara Falls Barrelman and will continue to do so.
- In three years the race grew from 700 to 800 athletes, with 14% growth in 2016.
- We have the capacity and desire to see Niagara Falls Barrelman become a premier destination race and for 2017 have a goal to grow the race to over 1,000.
- Prior to yesterday'a announcement we were already well ahead of previous registration numbers year to date.
- A big factor in helping surpass our goal will be increased U.S. athlete participation.
- The percentage of U.S. based athletes has hovered between 7 to 10%, even though this Niagara Falls is on the border and a premier destination location.
- The reviews of this race by athletes have been phenomenal with many of athletes telling us the race is as good as the WTC branded events, from a production, atmosphere and customer service perspective.
- The U.S. athletes who have raced Barrelman and have reached out to me or have emailed us, have told us this is one of the best produced races in which they race.
- We needed to create more awareness of Barrelman with U.S. athletes, of which Rev3 has many.
- Rev3 had heard from athletes and in the RD community that Barrelman is an extremely well produced event and produced by a company who cares about the race experience and the athlete, in other words a great match!
- Rev3 has a reputation of putting on great races and treating it's athlete/customers extremely well, which is something that is very important to MultiSport Canada.
- Given the above, Rev3 approached us and asked if we would like to work with them.
- Given Rev3's desire to work with us, our desire to reach more U.S. athletes, this partnership made complete sense.
- Based on yesterday's reaction on social media and emails to us we already know this will be a great partnership for both MSC and Rev3!

From an athlete's perspective:
- The venue is spectacular both in Welland and Niagara Falls.
- There is something to do for every member of the family.
- Lots of restaurants and the accommodation options are plentiful with every price range available and no minimum night stays.
- We can accommodate any number of athletes in the transitions as well as on the course, with the only possible tweak required being increasing the number of waves for the swim starts.
- U.S. athletes effectively have a 30% discount with the currency exchange for the race entry, gas, restaurants, accommodations etc.

Finally, it took me 4 years to get the logistics and approvals starting in 2010. This race is my baby and I do not intend to put it up for adoption.

John Salt, Founder - MultiSport Canada
Canada's Largest Triathlon Series and Barrelman Niagara Falls
http://www.multisportcanada.com / http://www.niagarafallstriathlon.com
"Discipline Is What You Do When No One Is Watching You"
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Barrelman 70.3 is now open for registration [John Salt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you guys for replying. I'm looking forward for participating in the Barrelman event.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Barrelman 70.3 is now open for registration [John Salt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John Salt wrote:
Mark et al,

I have copied this from a post I added this morning on another thread.

Niagara Falls Barrelman has been, is and will remain as being owned and operated by our team at MultiSport Canada. We have been producing quality triathlons for the past 15 years and we are the largest triathlon series in Canada.

Here are the facts as it relates to Niagara Falls Barrelman and our new relationship with Rev3:
- Multisport Canada developed, owns, has produced Niagara Falls Barrelman and will continue to do so.
- In three years the race grew from 700 to 800 athletes, with 14% growth in 2016.
- We have the capacity and desire to see Niagara Falls Barrelman become a premier destination race and for 2017 have a goal to grow the race to over 1,000.
- Prior to yesterday'a announcement we were already well ahead of previous registration numbers year to date.
- A big factor in helping surpass our goal will be increased U.S. athlete participation.
- The percentage of U.S. based athletes has hovered between 7 to 10%, even though this Niagara Falls is on the border and a premier destination location.
- The reviews of this race by athletes have been phenomenal with many of athletes telling us the race is as good as the WTC branded events, from a production, atmosphere and customer service perspective.
- The U.S. athletes who have raced Barrelman and have reached out to me or have emailed us, have told us this is one of the best produced races in which they race.
- We needed to create more awareness of Barrelman with U.S. athletes, of which Rev3 has many.
- Rev3 had heard from athletes and in the RD community that Barrelman is an extremely well produced event and produced by a company who cares about the race experience and the athlete, in other words a great match!
- Rev3 has a reputation of putting on great races and treating it's athlete/customers extremely well, which is something that is very important to MultiSport Canada.
- Given the above, Rev3 approached us and asked if we would like to work with them.
- Given Rev3's desire to work with us, our desire to reach more U.S. athletes, this partnership made complete sense.
- Based on yesterday's reaction on social media and emails to us we already know this will be a great partnership for both MSC and Rev3!

From an athlete's perspective:
- The venue is spectacular both in Welland and Niagara Falls.
- There is something to do for every member of the family.
- Lots of restaurants and the accommodation options are plentiful with every price range available and no minimum night stays.
- We can accommodate any number of athletes in the transitions as well as on the course, with the only possible tweak required being increasing the number of waves for the swim starts.
- U.S. athletes effectively have a 30% discount with the currency exchange for the race entry, gas, restaurants, accommodations etc.

Finally, it took me 4 years to get the logistics and approvals starting in 2010. This race is my baby and I do not intend to put it up for adoption.

Like :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info John.

Our 30th wedding and my wife's birthday are within a week of the race. I almost have her convinced to make this a second honeymoon weekend. Just have to work out some details.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Barrelman 70.3 is now open for registration [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I almost have her convinced to make this a second honeymoon weekend.

Tell her that a generation ago, Niagara Falls was a favored and popular Honeymoon spot for recently married folk! :)

Last edited by: Fleck: Nov 12, 16 9:51
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Barrelman is now open for registration [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few days ago I think I had read somewhere, or possibly heard from someone, that there's no prize purse going forward at Barrelman. If true I think that's a setback. One reason I liked this race was because it had some incentive for not only Pro athletes but also fast age group athletes to compete. Was a unique aspect that is essentially non-existent at most races.

I am a US-based athlete and have done the race the past two years. Completely agree that it is an excellent race with an amazing venue and is very well run. I certainly will consider racing again and hope your more to Rev3 provides more US athlete representation.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Barrelman 70.3 is now open for registration [desimis1877] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is great that you have done the race for the past two years, appreciate your support and am glad you intend to be back. I especially like "Completely agree that it is an excellent race with an amazing venue and is very well run. I certainly will consider racing again and hope your more to Rev3 provides more US athlete representation. "
If you go to the FAQ on the event page, http://rev3tri.com/...afallsbarrelman/faq/ ,right there at the top is this the information for the prize money. It is still $5,000!

As an aside of sorts, the other day there was a thread and within that some speculation and assumptions about Barrelman. I really do understand that this forum is an opportunity for people to discuss the sport, the races, speculate etc. The thing is that some speculation can be perceived as negative. I know that some of you will think I am being a little thin skinned but there is a reason us little guys react and ask for your support in getting the facts straight.

As independent race directors we fight a daily battle of ensuring that we put on a great race, treat our customer/athletes well and do all we can to make sure our brand is seen in the most positive light. In that regard, and in general terms aside from this particular post about prize money, I would ask that everyone help us in our battle and if you would like information please do ask and don't believe everything you hear, unless it is coming from the RD.

If you are interested here is the other thread: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Barrelman is now open for registration [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Registration for the Barrelman, I've just heard, is WELL ahead of last year's pace. In fact, it's on pace for 1000 or more racers!

This is amazing news! And the Canadians have not even started to enter!! :)

Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Barrelman is now open for registration [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for letting us know Steve! That was the kick in the pants I needed to complete my registration!

See you there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Registration for the Barrelman, I've just heard, is WELL ahead of last year's pace. In fact, it's on pace for 1000 or more racers!

This is amazing news! And the Canadians have not even started to enter!! :)

Speak for yourself. I signed up close to the first day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a great time at last year's Barrelman. I am hoping to do it this year, but with IMMT only 4 weeks before, not sure if the motivation will be there. I've done a half iron 3 weeks after an iron and it sucked.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Barrelman is now open for registration [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with Scott_B. This was my first at this distance and was a top notch event. I have other races that conflict but will add to 2018 Calendar now.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Barrelman is now open for registration [brusche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan,

You racing as a pro or are you going to crush the 40-44 AG this year??

Signed....
another curious AG'r in 40-44
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Barrelman is now open for registration [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are going to cross the border, check to see if you need a passport or similar. It takes several weeks to obtain needed documentation. Looking forward to this event.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Barrelman is now open for registration [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drluke12 wrote:
Bryan,

You racing as a pro or are you going to crush the 40-44 AG this year??

Signed....
another curious AG'r in 40-44

Ha! No, no pro for me. Kona was humbling :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced Barrelman last year and loved it. Definitely on my list for 2017, subject to injuries.

John - I know the target is 1,000 entries this year, but is there a cap for the number of racers in the Half Rev?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cannot wait until Barrelman 2017. Especially that swim course. An absolutely awesome way to end the tri racing season each year.

Plus the generous prizes for the relay podium that my teammates have hauled me onto have kept me rocking some sweet shoes.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Barrelman is now open for registration [Apollo71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apollo that is a bit of a moving target and is the reason that we will expand the number based on our experience as the race grows.

First and foremost , our priorities are athlete safety, customer service and a great race experience. The transition zones could accommodate 2,000, the swim course can manage those numbers with an increase in the number of waves, which would spread out the athletes starting the bike. The run course could handle any number of athletes and would be even more incredible with 2,000.

Any good event management team will tell you that the design of a good race is only part of production. What cannot always be assessed is the capacity of some aspects of a race. The aspect of Barrelman that would be most impacted by a 1,500 to 2,000 cap would be the bike course. This course is very flat but wind is the factor that typically adds a measure of difficulty. The first year (2014) we had a headwind of about 50 KPH for the first 30+Km, which turned into a tailwind for the last 25Km. Even Lionel Sanders told me the first half was a tough ride. So far every year we have had strong winds on the bike that in some way contribute to keeping drafting down to a minimum.

Having said all of the above the cap for this year is set at 1,000 athletes. Once we have had 1,000 on course we will be in a better position to asses the situation and a 1,500 to 2,000 capacity keeping in mind athlete safety, customer service and a great race experience. We will update and let everyone know as we get closer to this years cap on the website http://www.multisportcanada.com/...ara-falls-barrelman/ and on our Facebook feeds https://www.facebook.com/MultiSportCan and the Rev3 Barrelman Facebook https://www.facebook.com/...ps/1790879447841557/

Last edited by: John Salt: Feb 17, 17 5:19
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Barrelman is now open for registration [John Salt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info John. It was such a great event that I would register today, but I've been dealing with a few injuries that I'm hoping will be resolved in the next month or so. I will keep checking the Barrelman website.

Also hope to see you at the Welland race in June.
Quote Reply

Prev Next