Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rev3/Challenge Quassy
Quote | Reply
Who's racing Quassy this June?

I'll be there doing the half. Wouldn't mind meeting up with any STers who're also racing.

Looks like the course is a bit different (at least the run, but I haven't reviewed things too closely). Looking forward to it!

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3/Challenge Quassy [Mendeldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The run course has changed from last year (they mentioned that when i did the preview ride). Planning on riding conservatively because the bike course was hard enough, and I hear the run course is harder.

I'll be there doing the half, but haven't figured out logistics yet
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3/Challenge Quassy [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aqua-bike for me.

it is a fam weekend at the park so I am just doing a glorified training day.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
The run course has changed from last year (they mentioned that when i did the preview ride). Planning on riding conservatively because the bike course was hard enough, and I hear the run course is harder.

Harder? Great! Cause it's not like it was difficult before or anything.

One of the few courses I've ever encountered where I ran a better race by speed-walking some of the hills.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3/Challenge Quassy [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also racing, and just e-mailed to sign up for the Elite wave. I'm somewhat injured (Achilles) and don't know how the run will go. Looking forward to a fun day!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
dado0583 wrote:

Harder? Great! Cause it's not like it was difficult before or anything.

One of the few courses I've ever encountered where I ran a better race by speed-walking some of the hills.

Sorry I meant the run course is harder than the bike course. I don't know if the new run course is harder than the old run course. Expect it to be hard in any case :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:

Judging from the athlete guide, it looks like they just got rid of the two out-and-back segments on the half run course. To make the length the same, they made the second part of the half run be identical to the Olympic Run.
Last edited by: JoeO: May 29, 15 10:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it in 2011. It was a great race.

I'm not sure how much has changed course-wise, but back then the bike course was not crazy hard but we always seemed to be climbing. I was conservative and road a 3:03. I'm a pretty mediocre cyclist, for whatever that's worth. I road a 2:45 at 70.3 Princeton last year and that course was a couple miles long, but flat.

The run course was pretty hard and that's usually my strong suit. I managed to run the whole thing fairly strong (for me, which was a 1:41) and I kept getting caught by this dude who was power walking the big hill. I ended up dropping him later (saw him on an out and back where he was basically dead) but I wonder if it would have been smarter for me to power walk that hill too. Pride made me HTFU and run it lol.

I pulled off a 5:26 that year but I'd like to knock that down to very low 5s. If I can get into my swim groove earlier (always takes me a good 5 min to get movin at all, I swam a 36 in 2011), I think I can bike a hair faster and still hold the run. I'm running 1:20s for the stand alone half these days so I'd really like to run a 1:30 but it's hilly and I'm fatter than I was in 2011 lol. So we'll see. I also wasted time doing a little interview in T1 (which they used as part of their Quassy add, so it was kinda worth it for my 15 seconds of fame).

Good luck everyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the run course was changed because a bridge is out ( construction) just before mile 10. I ran the new course last weekend. The good news is that the elevation change is probably the same; the bad news is that a new and pretty substantial hill occurs fairly close to the end. I didn't check ( sorry) but I would guess around mile 11. My impression was that the new course will have a bit more shade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to have a big showing from the Perfect Fuel Chocolate Elite Team! Amy and myself racing the Olympic Saturday, Jeremy and Anthony in the half Sunday.

Had a go on the new run course a couple weeks ago, it is WAY tougher than last year (and most would agree it was a little challenging last year).

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3/Challenge Quassy [Timbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to seeing you out there Tim!

I'l be doing the half on Sunday. Hoping to have a strong showing among the AG, non-elite, wave. I don't mind the hills after 4 years at American Zofingen (#backdoorbrag) but if the temps could stay below 80, that would be great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm racing the Olympic.

For the half, the big loop around the lake is done in reverse of the way its been done in previous years.
Then they added most of the olympic run course, which does include a nasty hill around the 12 mile mark.
Doesn't look bad on profile, but having run it several times in the olympic race it is nasty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the Half relay: Swim & Run. Don't know what I am going to do for 3-4 hours while my friend bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3/Challenge Quassy [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could run the half course so that when your friend comes off the bike you know exactly what you're in for...
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3/Challenge Quassy [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone planning to do any family stuff at the amusement park? I recall in the past you got free tickets for racing but this year it's a discounted ticket.

I have twin 2.5 year olds. Will there be anything at the amusement park to amuse them, or are they too young? They've never been to an amusement park and when I raced it in 2011 I didn't have kids so I didn't take note.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello all, I am Ross btw, never actually introduced my self here. I am doing the olympic this year. I did the half last year. Anyone have any thoughts on the bike course? I did an hour at my last olympic but looking at this one i am not thinking i will be so lucky...

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3/Challenge Quassy [MSUtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be working the bike turnaround in Litchfield at around the mile 40 mark on Sunday, let's see some bike handling skills! :)

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3/Challenge Quassy [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twilkas wrote:
I'll be working the bike turnaround in Litchfield at around the mile 40 mark on Sunday, let's see some bike handling skills! :)

Not to threadjack, but I'm doing the Griskus Olympic in a couple of weeks. Isn't it a similar course to the Challenge race?
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3/Challenge Quassy [brklynmerckx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
welcome, i havent seen the new challenge run course yet so not sure about that, but the bike course is different, heads west and goes through Woodbury center and heads into the Bethlehem hills that way: http://www.patgriskustri.com/course/

We'll be rating the bike turnaround handling skills on Sunday June 7th, judges will have scorecards! j/k, but its fun out there!

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the half last year ,so I already know about the monster hill at mile 12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and 3 kids(age 8,6,5) will be at the park while I do the race. A lot of kids and water rides. Park is suited for small kids. No free tickets this year, only a discounted rate.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Rev3/Challenge Quassy [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the water temp is reported to be cold.

It seems the air temp will be around what it was when I raced in 2011 (60s) and I don't recall the water being overly cold... anyone know how to figure out what the water temp in 2011 was, compared to now? My bald head is already shivering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mendeldave wrote:
So the water temp is reported to be cold.

It seems the air temp will be around what it was when I raced in 2011 (60s) and I don't recall the water being overly cold... anyone know how to figure out what the water temp in 2011 was, compared to now? My bald head is already shivering.

I swam in northern Maine two weeks ago - that was cold - probably low 50's. This swim will feel like bathwater! I'd much rather have low 60's for a water temp than low 80's any day of the week!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do bikes have to be checked in today for the Oly? I hope not.... I only live 40 minutes away, hoping to not have to drive down this afternoon, too.
Quote Reply

Prev Next