Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Return of a Full IM at Silverman?
Quote | Reply
Do you think we'll see a return of a full ironman at Silverman?

Frank, if you're listening, I'd love to come back for another full in your back yard!
Quote Reply
Re: Return of a Full IM at Silverman? [Icemantrieth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard from a good source that Silverman 70.3 would probably not happen again. It just did not have a big enough draw.
Nothing official. Tough course and not ideal weather. Heat last year and really windy yesterday.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's done and dusted.....never to return.
Quote Reply
Re: Return of a Full IM at Silverman? [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think it returns as a non Ironman full distance race, or was the name sold to WTC?
Quote Reply
Re: Return of a Full IM at Silverman? [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
I heard from a good source that Silverman 70.3 would probably not happen again. It just did not have a big enough draw.
Nothing official. Tough course and not ideal weather. Heat last year and really windy yesterday.

Such a bummer that this sport continues to get watered down. WTC has of course wisely catered to the masses doing away with non-sellout harder courses and trying to make existing courses easier, etc. It's all about the demands of their customers. I don't blame them. It's tougher and tougher to keep big numbers coming to the tough courses, so it seems as times goes on, those of us seeking out the tougher courses will end up racing smaller independent races. Maybe triathlon is moving back toward it's roots in that respect.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Return of a Full IM at Silverman? [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced the last two years. Like Tahoe it is a challenging race and the conditions have been difficult, heat last yeR and wind this year.
I like having a local race (Southern Cal).
It seemed like a fair number of first time 70.3. Pretty challenging for them.
I was lucky enough to get World slots both years, so I love the race. You think being in Las Vegas would have been a huge draw.
How did you do yesterday?

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Return of a Full IM at Silverman? [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl, a predictably average day for me. Went a bit over 6:50. About what I'd expect from myself since I do minimal bike training. In any case, yeah, it does surprise me that SoCal racers (I'm one of them) pine for a full, yet WTC isn't seeing the SoCal support for races like Silverman. Yes, Oceanside sells out. Vineman 70.3 sells out. Why? Timing? Easier than Silverman? Hard to figure it out.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it will happen. This year only 1400 registered, down from last year, add reports from us about the wind and last years temps around 100. I just hope they don't cancel it . Like others posted its about numbers for the WTC, can't blame them. Also I was talking to some of the IM guys over coffee yesterday and I asked about California getting another full, one guy who's a IM race director said right now it doesn't look good.... but you never know.

It's a tough course but I like this race and plan on registering for next year, IF.....With my skill set and age I gotta race the tough ones while I can still make the cutoffs.

Just to add. I think timing has something to do with. Look at St George, both are tough courses, have the potential to be hot and windy, 1.5 hrs apart.

St George: early May numbers are ok, enough to keep the race going and has Zion for a draw.

Silverman: late in the season. So even with the LV draw and close to SoCal the numbers are low.

Add AZ 70.3 in Sept might put a fork in Silverman.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Oct 6, 15 9:24
Quote Reply