Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test
Quote | Reply
I'll keep this as short as possible. As the title suggests, we independently tested the Speedplay Zero Aero pedal against a standard Speedplay Zero pedal and did find a repeatable aero advantage. Here's a quick synopsis:

We used two test riders:

• Male using Sidi Wire SP Carbon shoes (Speedplay-specific) who completed 3 runs with each pedal system

• CdA w/Zero pedals: .2441, .2437, .2458 - Average CdA = .2445
    • CdA w/Zero Aero pedals: .2387, .2381, .2394 - Average = .2387
    • Watts Saved = 4.8

• Male using Specialized S-Works 6 shoes who completed 2 runs with each pedal system

• CdA w/Zero pedals: .2389, .2390 - Average = .2389
    • CdA w/Zero Aero pedals: .2352, .2359 - Average = .2355
    • Watts saved = 2.9
Both riders saw an aero advantage with the Zero Aero pedal, though rider #1 clearly saw better savings. There were two distinct differences between the riders which could provide an explanation. Rider #1 used a Speedplay-specific shoe which negates the need for a base plate thereby lowering the overall stack height of the pedal system reducing frontal area. Rider #1 also pedaled with a flatter pedal stroke (heal down) which exposes more of the pedal system to the wind. Rider #2 pedaled more toe down exposing less of the pedal system to the wind.

Testing one pedal system vs another (i.e. Speedplay vs Look) is a decidedly more difficult task, but could be done in the future. Questions?

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Last edited by: Jim@EROsports: Jan 25, 17 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watts saved suggests there was a 'total watts' that was reduced through the use of the pedals. What is the percentage savings, and what is the margin of error for the test?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you left out detail....

did they both use the aero cleat on both runs or normal zero cleat both runs or switch cleats between runs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
I'll keep this as short as possible. As the title suggests, we independently tested the Speedplay Zero Aero pedal against a standard Speedplay Zero pedal and did find a repeatable aero advantage. Here's a quick synopsis:

We used two test riders:

• Male using Sidi Wire SP Carbon shoes (Speedplay-specific) who completed 3 runs with each pedal system

• CdA w/Zero pedals: .2441, .2437, .2458 - Average CdA = .2445
    • CdA w/Zero Aero pedals: .2387, .2381, .2394 - Average = .2387
    • Watts Saved = 4.8

• Male using Specialized S-Works 6 shoes who completed 2 runs with each pedal system

• CdA w/Zero pedals: .2389, .2390 - Average = .2389
    • CdA w/Zero Aero pedals: .2352, .2359 - Average = .2355
    • Watts saved = 2.9
Both riders saw an aero advantage with the Zero Aero pedal, though rider #1 clearly saw better savings. There were two distinct differences between the riders which could provide an explanation. Rider #1 used a Speedplay-specific shoe which negates the need for a base plate thereby lowering the overall stack height of the pedal system reducing frontal area. Rider #1 also pedaled with a flatter pedal stroke (heal down) which exposes more of the pedal system to the wind. Rider #2 pedaled more toe down exposing less of the pedal system to the wind.

Testing one pedal system vs another (i.e. Speedplay vs Look) is a decidedly more difficult task, but could be done in the future. Questions?

Thanks for the info. I hope you can test a Look system in the future.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was seat height adjusted for both riders after changing pedals systems?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
There were two distinct differences between the riders which could provide an explanation. Rider #1 used a Speedplay-specific shoe which negates the need for a base plate thereby lowering the overall stack height of the pedal system reducing frontal area. Rider #1 also pedaled with a flatter pedal stroke (heal down) which exposes more of the pedal system to the wind. Rider #2 pedaled more toe down exposing less of the pedal system to the wind.

Nice test, nice insight.
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they are the same system
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice.

What would be interesting to me is an additional data point with the speedplay specific shoe with the "walkable cleat" (i.e. the aero cleat) and the regular zero pedals.

In other words, how much of the improvement over the regular Zero setup is in the cleat and how much is the one-sided aero pedal? My gut feel is it's mostly the cleat "fairing"...and just buying the cleats is a MUCH less expensive proposition than the full aero pedal kit. And the reason I say on the speedplay specific shoe is because it appears the only way to get the aerodynamically shaped cleat spacer is by buying the aero pedal :-/

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
Watts saved suggests there was a 'total watts' that was reduced through the use of the pedals. What is the percentage savings, and what is the margin of error for the test?

His post actually included the base CdAs and the deltas, so you can derive the answers to your questions.
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interestingly, when I was working with Brandon McNulty in prep for TT Worlds, we did test walkable cleats vs standard cleats on the Zero Aero pedal. We didn't have regular Zero pedals that day, so I figured I try it since I knew Brandon could give me good, consistent, numbers. We only did one quick test, but there was about a 1.5 watt difference. I don't like quoting one test, so I didn't include those numbers.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Test 2 gels with the CFD analysis AeroCoach did.
https://www.facebook.com/...sts/1098380433529928
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also, what speed are you basing your watts saved upon?

at 30mph I get 8.5w and 5w if you want to bring up to frame/wheel equivalents
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As jeffp indicated, there was no need since the riders didn't switch shoes. According to Speedplay, there is no stack height difference between the standard Zero cleat and the walkable cleat.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both riders, by coincidence only, rode right around 24.5 mph if I remember correctly.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Missed this one...sorry.

For rider #1, the order of runs was: Zero, Zero Aero, Zero, Zero, Aero Zero, Aero Zero.
For rider #2, the order of runs was: Aero Zero, Zero, Zero, Aero Zero

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can't tell from that post if that was shoe moving in circular motion in the CFD or just sitting still in wind
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I meant was it always with the aero-walkable cleat on all runs or did that vary too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, sorry Jeff. Cleats were changed, too. Standard Zero cleats on Zero pedals; walkable cleats on Zero Aero. The beauty of Speedplay is we could be reasonably sure to replicate the cleat/foot position. Tougher to do when comparing one pedal system vs another, which is why we didn't do it (or, at least, not yet).

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have specific data other than to note I am a tad faster since I switched to the aero system myself. just miss the two sided entry with that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Interestingly, when I was working with Brandon McNulty in prep for TT Worlds, we did test walkable cleats vs standard cleats on the Zero Aero pedal. We didn't have regular Zero pedals that day, so I figured I try it since I knew Brandon could give me good, consistent, numbers. We only did one quick test, but there was about a 1.5 watt difference. I don't like quoting one test, so I didn't include those numbers.

What style shoe, i.e. did it have a spacer? And if so, what kind.

Also, that's not quite what I was getting at since the pedal is the Aero...I'm interested in how the walkable/aero cleat performs on the regular Zero pedal :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure the CFD was done static with the total savings based on all moving parts extrapolated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
they are the same system

Well, duh....I'm a dyot. Didn't look carefully enough at what was tested.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

What style shoe, i.e. did it have a spacer? And if so, what kind.

Also, that's not quite what I was getting at since the pedal is the Aero...I'm interested in how the walkable/aero cleat performs on the regular Zero pedal :-)

Can't recall at the moment what shoe it was or if was Speedplay-specific or not. I know it wasn't exactly what you were referring to, but thought you'd be interested anyway.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to know if you good 'guesstimate' the savings on an ironman leg 2.9 watts (lets say 3) and 4.8 watts. :)

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Jim@EROsports and All,

I will make a pair of these (the aero mod shoe on the left) available to you if you want to test them ..... they tested very aero for us at SDLSWT and you can even run on them for short distances ...... (and they have soft soles that are silent to walk on) ......

http://www.shop.view-speed.com/...ion-610098715986.htm

And they work with standard double sided pedal ....

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply

Prev Next