Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Resources for Finding a Coach
Quote | Reply
What other resources do people use for finding a coach? I am guessing most use USAT, Slowtwitch and Training Peaks for the majority but just trying to see what else is out there that I may not know about.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Resources for Finding a Coach [ClarkWGriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ask yourself two questions:

1. Do I really need a coach?

2. If the answer to #1, is "yes", what sort of coach do I need?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
personal recommendations from friends

the google

trucker hat logos.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used coaches when I raced tris 3 coaches over 7 years.

I'd never look at USAT or Training Peaks for a coach but rather ST, triathlete friends that you know that are smart and you have seen improvement, observation over time of coaches that have done well for others.

Ask questions of those who are coaches, make a list of what is important to you, reach out to coaches giving an overview of your tri career and training methods and what you are looking for, talk with perspective coaches, check out some of their athlete references.

Many want a local coach which can limit your choices. Many great coaches work with athletes from all over and do it well.

Some coaches are really plan writers...write you a plan and expect you to execute it. Other are true coaches that write your plan around your schedule/life, check your feedback on your workouts checking your metrics, use that information to build next week, build your season, support you in many ways, and help you develop as an athlete. Plan writers are fine for some folks, but many call themselves coaches but really are not. Writing a 4 week plan with no or little feedback from athlete on how it went then writing another 4 weeks block to me is not coaching.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personal recommendations from people you know and trust usually works out the best.
If you don't know anyone personally don't be afraid to reach out to a local athlete you've raced or look up too. They will often answer candidly when asked about certain coaches or have good recommendations.

Once you have a few options make sure you ask lots of questions. A good coach will respect that and answer with more questions of their own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget to prepare for ridicule from your non-serious-athlete friends.

Who pay as much for their kid's piano lessons as you do your coach-and the kid doesn't even like piano, and despises practicing, mind you.
Quote Reply