Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Request for bike fit critique
Quote | Reply
It's been a while since I had a fitting on my bike, and quite a few things have changed since then, so I thought I might ask the collective genius of ST to give me a few pointers. I know it's not the best video given that I chopped off the bottom of the pedal stroke, but how is it looking structurally? My focus is IM-distance races.
The front end is a PD SVET R with Zipp Alumina Clip brackets and pads, and stock S bend extensions. I will be swapping these for ski-tips in the next few weeks. Saddle is an Adamo Attack. Cranks are 170s.

Allow me to be the first with:
- Seat too high
- Headphones too cr@P!
- Bike too old

Thanks as always!

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Re: Request for bike fit critique [BungleJapan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'm really frustrated by the lack of decor for me to criticize. Except the Venetian blinds. The 70s called: they would like to have the blinds back.

On to the real stuff:

1) As long as the top of your back is higher than the top of your head, you may as well raise the bars.
2) I think you would do better with a lot more reach

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seat looks a bit low.
Quote Reply
Re: Request for bike fit critique [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's 70s in the rest of the world is cutting edge style here in Japan - maybe!! ;-) Anyway, the curtains kept getting caught in the back wheel!!

Jens:
I was deliberately turtling my head in the video. I can hold that position on the road, but do forget sometimes and my head pops back up.
As for reach, I always thought the torso-upper arm angle and the elbow angle should be roughly 90 degrees. Wouldn't more reach increase these angles?
I'm not questioning the advice of course, just genuinely curious.

jimatbeyond:
Really, or in an ironic seat too high style?! I've always felt I was at the upper limit of saddle height, but I'll happily give it a try.

Thanks!

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BungleJapan wrote:
As for reach, I always thought the torso-upper arm angle and the elbow angle should be roughly 90 degrees. ...

Yeah, I guess that is the canonical ST model. But I'm betting that if you put your elbows further out, the hump in your back would go away.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did actually move my elbows 1cm further apart just last week, and it definitely helped with comfort. I figure I can just angle the ski-bends inwards slightly when I fit them to bring my hands closer together.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would try a shorter crank and more reach. There's plenty of cranks out there you can buy at a reasonable price to tryout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BungleJapan wrote:
I always thought the torso-upper arm angle and the elbow angle should be roughly 90 degrees. Wouldn't more reach increase these angles?

i think the position is great. you could move your elbows out a couple of cms if you want, or not. jens and i have divergent opinions about this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:

I'm really frustrated by the lack of decor for me to criticize. Except the Venetian blinds. The 70s called: they would like to have the blinds back.

On to the real stuff:

1) As long as the top of your back is higher than the top of your head, you may as well raise the bars.
2) I think you would do better with a lot more reach

good points. which says to me he's on a bike one size too small

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Request for bike fit critique [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
like Hoffman?

Hoffman
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...est_Kona15Mbike9.jpg

Um yeah. Except Hoffman is losing about 10 minutes with that helmet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd lengthen the stem by about 2 cm and maybe angle the extensions upward very slightly. I think the saddle height is pretty good, but I'm being a bit presumptive since we can't see how much you are reaching with your feet and ankles.

Can you sustain the position pretty well as-is?

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is your bike level?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
MadTownTRI wrote:
like Hoffman?

Hoffman
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...est_Kona15Mbike9.jpg

Um yeah. Except Hoffman is losing about 10 minutes with that helmet.

that statement is ridiculous. compared to what? have you done kona before?
Quote Reply
Re: Request for bike fit critique [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
that statement is ridiculous. compared to what? have you done kona before?

Compared to a good aero helmet.

My CdA dropped by .017 simply by switching from one aero helmet to another. That translates to about 2 seconds per km. So maybe 6 minutes. Switching from non-aero to aero is likely to yield more.

I've not done Ironman Kona, but I have ridden the course. Slower riders might have a temperature issue. But at ~24mph, I don't think the heat is that oppressive.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, he only has 2 helmet options (probably). One of them is terrible in the heat, but quite aero (probably). One of them is "ok" aero wise, but works very well in the heat. Given that it appears as though heat management is a big priority of his, which do you think you would choose in his shoes? Note again, you ONLY have 2 helmet options (well 3, if you count the Prevail, but that's a dog aero wise).
Quote Reply
Re: Request for bike fit critique [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

A few thoughts about your comments:

- I've always assumed the bike was level (using a front block), but I'll check it properly tonight with a spirit level!

- I have no problem holding the position. I did a 5 hour and numerous 3 hour indoor rides last this spring using this setup, the vast majority in aero. Plus my IM bike this summer didn't cause me any problems, and I ran well off it (3:08) which is vital for me.

- I'll try and angle the extensions upwards a little when I fit my ski-tip extensions.

- Whenever I've tried more reach I've ended up in an position unsustainable due to upper arm and shoulder fatigue.

- I currently race in a Bell Javelin, but I've been considering switching to a shorter tail helmet. Of course helmets are a very unique thing, but any perceived benefits here? (Javelin tails fits pretty snug to my upper back)

Thanks!

-----
Quote Reply