Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replacing my cranks and BB, and choosing a powermeter
Quote | Reply
I've got a 2016 Felt IA14 which is in need of a little maintenance and tweaking.
There's grinding and knocking which I think is coming from the BB so I reckon the bearings may be damaged. I haven't disassembled anything yet to investigate. I've been riding it quite a bit for 2 years now, mostly on the trainer.
I'd also like to try shorter cranks to see if it helps with some knee pain I've been having, and because I think I might prefer slightly shorter cranks anyway. Finally, I think perhaps it's time I got a power meter.

So I was thinking of going with a Power2Max NG or NGeco and perhaps Rotor 3D+ with 165mm cranks and 52/36 Praxis or Rotor chainrings (I'm currently using the stock FSA Trimax Pro cranks/chainset with 172.5mm cranks and 52/38 chainrings).

I'd prefer pedal based PM so I could move it between my road and tri bikes depending on my focus at any given time but I use Speedplays and don't want to change. I also don't think I want a wheel based PM.
What do you all reckon. Sensible selection or is there a better option I'm overlooking?

Edit: Oh yeah, on the BB replacement. Would you just go with a basic BB or is anything else worthwhile, and why?
Last edited by: Ai_1: Feb 20, 18 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing my cranks and BB, and choosing a powermeter [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another option is Cobb crank (come in a variety of sizes 145-165) and a C1 power meter. Crank+BB would run $350-400 and C1 currently $350. Pretty cost effective. I have recently gone to a shorter crank and picked Cobb as it was compatible with my existing C1.
As far as BB, I am no expert but the Cobb site seems to have every BB imaginable that is compatible with their cranks. You would just have to figure out what would work in the IA14.

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing my cranks and BB, and choosing a powermeter [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm biased as I have a rotor 3d+ type s on one bike and rotor 3d30 ng eco on another, but I think it's a fine choice and I have been happy with both of mine once I sorted through some firmware update bugs on the NG eco. Power2max is charging $290 for 3d+ crank arms so it's likely you can save a few bucks buying the arms in the classifieds or ebay as they're pretty readily available and get the $30 tool to assemble them if you're willing to go that route. On the BB30 bike I used wheels manufacturing bearings which I think were around $30. I wouldn't waste money on ceramic or anything like that.

Not that I do it but cranks are nearly as easy to swap between bikes as pedals if you have compatible bottom brackets and use the same gearing. With some practice I think you could swap a 3d+ crank in less than 10 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing my cranks and BB, and choosing a powermeter [IL2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tim,

I'd had a look at the C1 chainring PM. I prefer the Power2max but would probably be happy to go with the C1 if there was a big saving involved. However, I'm in Ireland and the half price C1 offer appears to be US only. I've seen it with some minor discounts in Europe but nothing like $350.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing my cranks and BB, and choosing a powermeter [cobra_kai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on P2M. I have the NG with Rotor 3D24 crank arms and it is the most accurate, consistent meter I have owned.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing my cranks and BB, and choosing a powermeter [cobra_kai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback.
I'd had a look around for new rotor cranks elsewhere and found better prices but they weren't available in 165mm from most sources. I hadn't looked for second hand but you're right, it could be worth a shot.
I've seen Wheels Manufacturing BBs mentioned in positive terms here frequently so maybe they're worth a shot. Must see where I can get them. I had no intention of going to ceramic. I'm utterly unconvinced of the need/benefit.

If compatible I'd like to be able to switch between bikes but the IA14 has a BB30 and I think my Canyon road bike is BB86. Also I want to try the shorter cranks on the tri bike but I may want to stick with 172.5mm on the road bike. So it's not looking good for cross compatibility!
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing my cranks and BB, and choosing a powermeter [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not the eco model I presume?

I'll probably go with the eco. As much as I'd like 1% accuracy and a rechargeable battery, I think the price difference is enough to swing it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what about a wheels mfcr outboard BB with a shimano/pioneer powermeter?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing my cranks and BB, and choosing a powermeter [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A week ago my ngeco arrived with rotor 170mm and osymetric
It works perfect
I have two quarks, the echo seems more stable in the numbers and the 3 are very similar in the numbers.
anyway I'm going to do an ftp test with it and create its zones

Picture
https://drive.google.com/...a8MHRDY2EgEa5SQ03c1c
https://drive.google.com/...ofsUOW3TLCfHrlT08vIe
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing my cranks and BB, and choosing a powermeter [warlockuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention that you've set it up with eTap.... brilliant.

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing my cranks and BB, and choosing a powermeter [xntrickly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xntrickly wrote:
Not to mention that you've set it up with eTap.... brilliant.

Cheers.

etap sexy jajajaja
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just went through the same reflection. Running BB30 and bought a Wheels Mfg BB30-Shimano converter to run an old, used SRM. Fingers crossed.

Quote Reply
Re: Replacing my cranks and BB, and choosing a powermeter [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
titemple652 wrote:
+1 on P2M. I have the NG with Rotor 3D24 crank arms and it is the most accurate, consistent meter I have owned.

P2Max type s with Rotor 3D bb24...could be bb30 easily. Rotor q rings.

No issues. 5 years...

Infinite money, the new dura ace only for charging. I need a new battery 1-2x per season.

I love p2m. Best units out there. No issues ever. Great support team too for decals (I changed colors...). If I needed parts, I am confident they'd be fast to fix me up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd forgotten about the WatTeam Powerbeat. It's not as tidy or sorted as the Power2Max but it is significantly cheaper, not pedal dependent and could, with a bit of work, be moved between bikes using different size cranks and BBs. I'd still prefer the Power2Max NG/NGeco but the Powerbeat is so much cheaper and offers more flexibility for my current situation. Decisions, decisions.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't say it's so much cheaper, powerbeat dual is $399 and the NGeco is $490 for rotor, FSA, and Sram cranks. If it offers you better flexibility then certainly that is a good reason to go with Watteam but $90 is not a huge difference.
Quote Reply