Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replacement P3 Carbon seatpost
Quote | Reply
Folks,

I'm putting my 2005/6 Cervelo P3 Carbon (The black/red one with the Team CSC logos on it) in the paintshop for a complete re-paint. It'll come back black and red but with sparkles in the paint :-)

Whilst it's there I'd like to swap out the seatpost for a new style P3 seatpost, rather than getting a replacement post with the 2 fore/aft holes in it. I couldn't get the old style one to hold the saddle firmly enough so drilled through the seatpost and bolted the clamp in position and it's remained that way for the last 8 years. Which is probably why they changed the design!

Can someone out there tell me...
  1. Will the new style seatposts fit as-is or do I need a shim of some kind?
  2. Where I can source a new style seatpost (and maybe shim if needed) to fit my 2005/6 P3 Carbon?

I'm in the UK but happy to buy from anywhere if I can get the right guidance/availability/product.

Cheers

Mark.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement P3 Carbon seatpost [NorthernRouleur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I had the same problem after over-tightening the seat post to stop the thing from moving around and cracked the carbon.

I replaced with the new-style seat post without any problems and it didn't move ever since (must have been around 2008/2009, the bike has mostly collected dust in the corner since the kids came). Not sure whether anything has changed since then. Be aware there are different sizes (length) depending on your frame size.

Sigma in Kingston sell replacement seatposts, I would think any authorized Cervelo distributor can order one in - they ain't cheap though. Get a torque wrench if you have spare cash :-).

I believe I ordered one from Cervelo directly back then.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement P3 Carbon seatpost [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - did your new seatpost need a sleeve to fit in the P3 frame or did it fit direct?
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement P3 Carbon seatpost [NorthernRouleur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi NorthernRouleur,

Unfortunately the two posts aren't interchangeable. The shaft cross section is the same, except the new post trailing edge has been truncated a few millimeters to make it 3:1. It'll slip into your frame no problem, but shape of your clamp doesn't match the new trailing edge.

Because it's identical otherwise, I've always wanted to somehow fabricate a shim or modify a clamp to make it work, but I never seem to have the time.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply