Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replace your PM Battery whether you need to or not!
Quote | Reply
Long story short - I have had a good fall / winter fitness wise but was really seeming weak on the bike. Feeling good with swimming, running, great XC skjiing, but I was really struggling on the bike. I have Power 2 Max crank based PM. This morning I got on the bike and the LED was red indicating dead battery. I replaced it and did a regular ride from Trainer Road and Bam - 20 or so watts higher.

I have not heard too much about this but is there that much difference between a new and older battery? I think they said it was supposed to last 300 hours, and this one did not have 1/2 of that.

Is there any research on PM batteries that show this? It takes a Renata 2450 battery. I am going to post this on the P2Max string too.
Quote Reply
Re: Replace your PM Battery whether you need to or not! [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve never heard of this. But I’d replace my battery weekly if it gave me a 20 watt bump.
Quote Reply
Re: Replace your PM Battery whether you need to or not! [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
I think they said it was supposed to last 300 hours, and this one did not have 1/2 of that.

If you transported the bike via car,plane or donkey cart, that motion seems to keep the PM "awake" and counts into the 300 hr projection. Some folks remove their battery for transport to increase its life. As cheap as they are I'd just replace more often.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you monitor your Zero Offset?

IME with Quarq and P2M units, low batteries are easy to spot if you're watching the ZO over time.
Quote Reply
Re: Replace your PM Battery whether you need to or not! [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:

IME with Quarq and P2M units, low batteries are easy to spot if you're watching the ZO over time.

No - I was not - I am not even sure how to do that. I assumed Power 2 Max was set it and forget it..... Is there a Zero Offset setting somewhere on trainer road? Or would I use my Garmin head for that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
Or would I use my Garmin head for that?
Yes. It's the "calibrate" function in a Garmin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
rijndael wrote:

No - I was not - I am not even sure how to do that. I assumed Power 2 Max was set it and forget it..... Is there a Zero Offset setting somewhere on trainer road? Or would I use my Garmin head for that?

You need to do a zero offset / garmin calibrate on every power meter before every ride. It has to be done with no load on the pm (you off the bike).

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Replace your PM Battery whether you need to or not! [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
endosch2 wrote:
rijndael wrote:

You need to do a zero offset / garmin calibrate on every power meter before every ride. It has to be done with no load on the pm (you off the bike).

How does that translate to using an ANT USB stick on a laptop with trainer road? I get it for outdoor rides. I thought that the Power 2 Max meters did a zero every time you stopped pedaling for more than 1 second.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never used trainer road but I would imagine is does the zero offset/calibrate for you when you first connect the pm to the software. But half the reason to do a zero offset before every single ride is to make sure the zero offset value doesn't drastically change. If it drastically changes (you need to remember roughly what the number is every ride), then you have a pm issue (battery issue, water intrustion, etc). It's much easier to detect a pm issue this way than watching your power numbers.

I'm not sure if p2m has the auto zero / calibrate function but that get's enabled on the head unit and I would personally turn it off (in the head unit). I've seen to many issues of it incorrectly assigning a zero offset number when you slowly coast up to a stop sign, stop light, etc. And then your power readings get all wonky and then you have to either coast again for 10-15 seconds to make sure it gets a good re-zero or hop off the bike and do it manually.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
How does that translate to using an ANT USB stick on a laptop with trainer road?
TR has a Zero Offset/Calibrate function.

endosch2 wrote:
I thought that the Power 2 Max meters did a zero every time you stopped pedaling for more than 1 second.....
It has an automatic in-ride ZO that occurs behind the scenes when it detects a zero load on the crank. You won't/can't know the outcome of that reZO. If you do it yourself before each ride, you can look for anomalies like a ZO that has jumped a good bit or one that's gradually changing (ie. battery issues).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over the life of a power meter battery cost must be about 1-2% of the total cost. Why do people not just change them more frequently?
Quote Reply
Re: Replace your PM Battery whether you need to or not! [Kent_NewZealand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only change mine when the low battery notification appears on my Garmin Edge 520.
Quote Reply
Re: Replace your PM Battery whether you need to or not! [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All that I mean is that if you replaced the battery every season, or at least before your A race you would double the number of batteries you use, but the total cost would be insignificant compared to the investment in a power meter.

Kent
Quote Reply
Re: Replace your PM Battery whether you need to or not! [Kent_NewZealand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kent_NewZealand wrote:
Over the life of a power meter battery cost must be about 1-2% of the total cost. Why do people not just change them more frequently?

Just laziness because it is a pain to remove a Campy crank from a Cerverlo P2 to properly access the battery cover screws. I ordered 5 more batteries and I will do it more often now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I change my P2Max batteries at the beginning of the season and just before my last big race so...April and September
Quote Reply