Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Renn Disc Tire Choice
Quote | Reply
Recently picked up an older renn disc (narrow) and I'm debating between a corsa speed tlr 23mm ( current tire for rear tire) or an attack 22mm. 2012 p3c is the frame. Which one would you go with? Any other better choices out there with speed being the top priority?
Quote Reply
Re: Renn Disc Tire Choice [aries33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aries33 wrote:
Recently picked up an older renn disc (narrow) and I'm debating between a corsa speed tlr 23mm ( current tire for rear tire) or an attack 22mm. 2012 p3c is the frame. Which one would you go with? Any other better choices out there with speed being the top priority?

VIittoria Corsa Speed G+. If your emphasis is on speed... I had these on my Zipp disc/808, very light, fragile, but quick. I flatted the 2nd time I used them (I was warned on here before I bought them) ... I should have put sealant in them, (new to tubs), the puncture was fixed with pitstop, but I pulled them off for my 70.3 race and used Conti Attacks instead. A little bit slower, but more puncture resistance and peace of mind. I may go back to them, running them with sealant.

When I had my Renn clincher I wan Conti TT's on it, my favourite clincher.
Last edited by: zedzded: Dec 20, 17 19:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There probably isn't a huge amount of difference, but the 700x20 supersonic tests nearly as well as the Corsa Speed 23 on my roller tests. My other choice might be the GPTT in the 23 if you want a bit more durability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aries33 wrote:

Almost exactly my setup. I've got the 555 on my 2012 P3C and currently have Attack 22mm on there, because they rolled well in some older CRR tests and also scored well on the Flo combined aero/crr evaluation. I mounted them backwards as recommended!

That said, I am probably going to switch to the fastest Corsa whenever I get around to it but I will want to see how well it mates with the rim. I tend to think on a bike like the P3C which fares so much of the back wheel anyway, the priority should probably be rolling resistance. But I'm also told by those in the know that the trailing edge still matters and probably don't want the trye to bulge too much, so I want to see how it looks. I don't think we should care about the tread pattern and its magical aero effects too much on a rear wheel where hardly any of that surface sees the wind.

I also like the idea of a slightly bigger tyre that I can run a little lower pressure in for comfort... the Renn is a very stiff wheel, being structural carbon. Bloody great whoomp whoomp sound though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried the Corsica or Attack on my Renn, but I've been very happy with a 23mmGPTT on mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aries33 wrote:

Not answering your question directly, but I think you'll find it very difficult to set up a Renn disc tubeless. Not only because of the rim shape (lack of "shelves"), but also the difficulty getting the chuck of a compressor onto a valve to get air in fast enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For pure speed and a bit of flat resistance, a 20mm Supersonic.

I run a 23mm Supersonic (no flats in 5yrs of racing) for slightly lower RR and a bit more comfort. The aero difference in the case of a rear disc sitting right behind a seat tube cutout is minimal between these choices (Rapp used to use a 25mm in the rear for this reason).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply