Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Removing small chainring
Quote | Reply
I've got a 2017 TM02 with a standard 53-39T chainwheel. I don't use the smaller chainring and was thinking about removing this along with the front derailleur & shifter. Any reason not to, other than lack of gears available. I can't say I've seen many (anyone) running only one chainring. I also find that I'm running out of gears when going downhill or also on some flats/slight declines. Would the solution be to go a bigger chainring i.e a 55?
Quote Reply
Re: Removing small chainring [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I've got a 2017 TM02 with a standard 53-39T chainwheel. I don't use the smaller chainring and was thinking about removing this along with the front derailleur & shifter. Any reason not to, other than lack of gears available. I can't say I've seen many (anyone) running only one chainring. I also find that I'm running out of gears when going downhill or also on some flats/slight declines. Would the solution be to go a bigger chainring i.e a 55?

You can't just remove the small ring. Instead you have to get a 1x ring and they only come in even sizes because they use alternating teeth profile of wide-narrow to keep the chain on. Without the FD you will lose chains constantly. I highly recommend the SRAM X-Sync. Personally I ride a 54t and 32t in the back for even the hardest courses but YMMV.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't convert to a 1x just by removing a chainring. You will need other mods to adjust your chain line. Otherwise you are going to stretch the heck out of your chain when you shift to your inner cog or 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will need to do the following:
- get a 1x specific chainring with NW tooth profile (e.g. a 52 or 54 Sram X-sync chaninring)
- probably need a bigger cassette (11-32t), as well as an appropriate rear derailleur (not necessarily clutch, although that is safer for avoiding possible chain drops, but more likely to have a medium length cage to handle bigger cassette)
- get 1x specific chainring bolts, or spacers for your current bolts.

There are plenty of 1x conversion threads on here - just do a search...
Quote Reply
Re: Removing small chainring [Kroppduster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kroppduster wrote:
You can't convert to a 1x just by removing a chainring. You will need other mods to adjust your chain line. Otherwise you are going to stretch the heck out of your chain when you shift to your inner cog or 2.

If you get a Sram X-synch chainring you will not need to adjust the crankset / spacing, as it is specifically dished to optimize chainring position inboard from the outer big chain-ring position to the center of the cassette. On another "non-dished" NW chainring I use I adjusted the crankset ~2.5mm inboard for a center chain line position.

Also, Sram's chains these days are specifically designed to use all 11 gears ... never had any issue with "stretch" on a 1x set up more than normal chain wear on a 2x system.
Quote Reply
Re: Removing small chainring [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool thanks for the advice guys. Probably not as simple as I initially thought!
Quote Reply