Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Removing glue from Tubular using GoofOff
Quote | Reply
So I bought some goof off as recommended by the STers, to remove the glue from my Zipp 900. It's not really coming off though. Do I need to soak the wheel in it or something or use wet/dry sandpaper. Watching a couple of youtube videos the guy dabs a little bit on a cloth and hey presto off it comes...

And what are people's thoughts on tape? Less hassle? Less mess? All my races are pretty much flat and straight.
Last edited by: zedzded: Aug 13, 17 18:47
Quote Reply
Re: Removing glue from Tubular using GoofOff [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goo Gone is what you want. Goo Off is crap.

Spray on, let it soak and hit it with green scotchbrite pad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
So I bought some goof off as recommended by the STers, to remove the glue from my Zipp 900. It's not really coming off though. Do I need to soak the wheel in it or something or use wet/dry sandpaper. Watching a couple of youtube videos the guy dabs a little bit on a cloth and hey presto off it comes...

And what are people's thoughts on tape? Less hassle? Less mess? All my races are pretty much flat and straight.

Goof Off is a fairly toxic brew:
http://msdsdigital.com/...em/files/goofoff.pdf
I'd use acetone.
I've used the Tufo tape, works great, slight Crr disadvantage

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glue tape is slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forget Goo Gone. As someone else here taught me, go get yourself some Jasco/Bix varnish/stain remover -- the Gel kind. I got it at Lowes.

Works fantastic. Apply, wait 30 seconds, and watch that glue come off easily. Took a few applications to get it all off but elbow grease was not really needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can find it, Tufo's Rim Cleaner is the stuff to use. I had a mix of glue and tape on my Boras when I got them, and nothing was making a dent in the crap (acetone, alcohol, turpentine, white spirit, hair dryer, the lot. All useless).Rim Cleaner carved through the lot in nothing flat. Just don't use it inside - it's pretty noxious stuff.

Ps. Don't use tape. Just don't. Conti carbon cement or Vitoria Mastik One. It's strangely therapeutic to glue your tyres, and mounting them isn't too hard (apply a coat of glue to the tyre just before mounting, inflate to maybe 25psi max, spin and centre the tyre by eye. Once done, inflate to 150, ride once around the block and leave for 24h to cure. Easy).
Last edited by: Greg66: Aug 13, 17 22:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used professional strength Goof Off or Xyelne...works like magic on Mastik. I did find if you let it soak in for 15 min, it tends to come off easier. Still, it still requires a good amount of elbow grease.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Removing glue from Tubular using GoofOff [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
If you can find it, Tufo's Rim Cleaner is the stuff to use. I had a mix of glue and tape on my Boras when I got them, and nothing was making a dent in the crap (acetone, alcohol, turpentine, white spirit, hair dryer, the lot. All useless).Rim Cleaner carved through the lot in nothing flat. Just don't use it inside - it's pretty noxious stuff.

Ps. Don't use tape. Just don't. Conti carbon cement or Vitoria Mastik One. It's strangely therapeutic to glue your tyres, and mounting them isn't too hard (apply a coat of glue to the tyre just before mounting, inflate to maybe 25psi max, spin and centre the tyre by eye. Once done, inflate to 150, ride once around the block and leave for 24h to cure. Easy).

Cool thanks.

It's my first set of tubs, so still trying to figure out whats what. Might take your advice and skip the tape then. What are some of the fastest tubs out there, Vottoria Corsa Speed seems to be a popular choice? I was running Continental TT clinchers before which I really liked. Is there a tubular equivalent, couldn't see anything on interweb.

I have to say this does seem a bit like 1950s technology, gluing tyres, but am always keen to try different shit.
Last edited by: zedzded: Aug 13, 17 23:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't use Conti tubs as the consumer tires have butyl tubes in them. You want a tub with a latex tube, Vittoria and Veloflex use latex which has lower rolling resistance than butyl.
Quote Reply
Re: Removing glue from Tubular using GoofOff [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickag wrote:
Don't use Conti tubs as the consumer tires have butyl tubes in them. You want a tub with a latex tube, Vittoria and Veloflex use latex which has lower rolling resistance than butyl.

Cool thanks Nick. Explains why I rarely hear them mentioned when tubs are discussed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
nickag wrote:

Cool thanks Nick. Explains why I rarely hear them mentioned when tubs are discussed.

Not to mention that Contis are an absolute bear to mount. Their carcass does not stretch! Vittorias and Veloflexes are much easier to mount.
Quote Reply
Re: Removing glue from Tubular using GoofOff [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what about getting old glue of off base tape? any suuggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: Removing glue from Tubular using GoofOff [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Effetto Mariposa, turpentine, sand paper, table knife, tyre lever, small screwdriver, kitchen sponge, cloth and here we go.

Rim has never been cleaned before. Four seasons and a bit, 4-6 gluing.
Mariposa was applied 3 times, each time leaving it on the rim overnight. All mess taken by tyre lever.
But still some elbow grease was required using knife removing glue mainly from the rim channel (old glue).
Finally kitchen sponge (rougher side) soaked with turpentine finished the job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a hair dryer and my thumb. It took a while and my thumb was sore, but i got the rims spotless without having to use any chemicals.
Quote Reply
Re: Removing glue from Tubular using GoofOff [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sxevegan wrote:
I used a hair dryer and my thumb. It took a while and my thumb was sore, but i got the rims spotless without having to use any chemicals.

Boom! That works! My missus has a fancy pants hairdryer and it just took off an inch pretty easily. Heated for 30s then pushed it with my thumb and it came off pretty easily. Cheers for that :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria Corsa Speed hands down, add some orange seal for added security.
Quote Reply
Re: Removing glue from Tubular using GoofOff [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Vittoria Corsa Speed hands down, add some orange seal for added security.

It looks nasty with that whitewall on the tyre, like my Gran's bike tyres. Do they do a version in all black?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gum sidewalls give you the Pro TT look. The other sidewall version for the tubulars is Antracite or a greyish
Quote Reply