Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Remote work placement for 6 months - how to address swimming?
Quote | Reply
Today I achieved my 2015 Chicago world's qualifier for Canada (yay). However come November I will be on a northern remote work placement until May. I will definitely be bringing rollers and there is a gym facility with treadmills, but what to do about the swim? There is a recreational pool that is hot, shallow, and about 15m long. Is there any benefit to training in a pool where once I push off I'm 1/3 done the length?

Are there any dryland exercises that can come even close to pool training? Does anyone have experience being unable to swim for this long or am I straight boned?

Note: this is *very* northern. Outdoor runs and cycles are not an option with extreme windchill all of the time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run PR's: 18:05 - 36:58 - 1:22:59 - 3:07

Quote Reply
Re: Remote work placement for 6 months - how to address swimming? [umcade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Is there any benefit to training in a pool where once I push off I'm 1/3 done the length? "

The local Y has a 3 lane, 20 yard pool. I've swum in it a few times, and you can get a decent workout in. Any swimming, even in less than ideal conditions, is better than no swimming.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Remote work placement for 6 months - how to address swimming? [umcade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't push off at the wall. Get some pull bands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-Buy an Endless Pool and have it delivered to the site.
-Tethered swimming
-Vasa trainer

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there are way around this;

very long set of short repeats on very short rest
LOTS of BAND swimming only
-elsatic cord or vasa trainer etc as supplement
-also, get a hip harness and do so swimming attach to one side of the pool..this way. you could get continus longer intervals. not idea in term of mechanic of stroke but in your case, we arent talking about ideal condition to start with so.....

duable but challenging

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't used one extensively, but the pool tether sounds like your best bet. Cheap, lightweight, some people say they've used it at home with success.

I've had good progress with the Vasa, but it'll require some space and investment. But if you can swing it, it's legit.

Long thread on it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a huge fan of tethered swimming, mostly because it ignores the body position component and is all about the pull, and it does have the potential to mess up your stroke. In limited quantities it can be a good supplement to regular swimming, but I would certainly work in as much untethered swimming as you can stand.

I wouldn't worry about the pool length too much, just use it as an opportunity to work on your turns. also, increase your interval lengths so you get in the same (or slightly more) swim time per repeat. eg. if you were doing a set of 200's, do 225's instead, which will make up the extra distance of the 5 additional turns per repeat.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what I posted in another thread:

I have the TYR Aquatic Resistance Belt and use it to swim in a 20 x 40 foot backyard pool. It's great for the most part. It has a piece of latex tubing that has a nylon strap loop at one end and a carabiner at the other end. The carabiner attaches to a nylon belt covered by neoprene with a buckle for adjusting tightness. The D-ring that the carabiner is supposed to attach to broke while I was swimming (I'm not that powerful and wasn't swimming that hard) but the nylon loop on the belt that the D-ring was held on with works just fine for clipping the carabiner to.

I swam growing up, so maybe I'm just used to being bored staring at the bottom of a pool, but I don't find it that tedious or boring. I thought I might need to get an underwater MP3 player/earphones, but never got around to it and don't mind it. It's easier to motivate myself swimming with the belt than on a treadmill.
I swim a few times a week and rather than using distance to mark the workout segments I either use stroke/breath count or time. I know that 35 breaths breathing every other stroke is about equivalent to 100 yds. for me, so I basically do the same kinds of sets as in a pool, just using that stroke count as a substitute.

Measurement is the biggest challenge, both of how much (distance) and how hard (speed) you're swimming since you're staying pretty much in the same place. Because it's elastic, you can use your position in the pool as a way of thinking about how hard you're working. As you advance a foot or two farther away from where it's anchored, you have to work progressively harder to maintain that position. It's inexact, but you probably have a feel for what it should feel like at different intensities.

It does have one big benefit. Since you're stationary, you don't have the water flowing under your hips and legs as your move through the water to help keep them up. I was never a big kicker, but it wasn't really much of a problem for me either, since my body position was fine. But swimming with the belt, at first it required concentrated effort to keep my hips and legs up in the water. This made it natural to swim with a lower head (like Gary Hall Sr. has talked about on the forum here and elsewhere) and to kick harder. Now, when I swim without the belt I have a stronger kick and even better head and hip/leg positioning than before.

It's definitely better than not swimming at all, is a good addition to a normal swimming routine, and is a decent replacement when swimming in a real pool isn't an option.
Quote Reply
Re: Remote work placement for 6 months - how to address swimming? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of tethered swimming, mostly because it ignores the body position component and is all about the pull, and it does have the potential to mess up your stroke. .

I've found that it actually improves body position because you don't have water flowing under you. In order to keep your hips up you have to keep your head down and kick harder. It has strengthened my kick and improved my body position, which was already pretty decent. I can't find it now, but I read somewhere that Tim and Tony DeBoom did much of their swim training with a tether/belt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
umcade wrote:
Today I achieved my 2015 Chicago world's qualifier for Canada (yay). However come November I will be on a northern remote work placement until May. I will definitely be bringing rollers and there is a gym facility with treadmills, but what to do about the swim? There is a recreational pool that is hot, shallow, and about 15m long. Is there any benefit to training in a pool where once I push off I'm 1/3 done the length? Are there any dryland exercises that can come even close to pool training? Does anyone have experience being unable to swim for this long or am I straight boned? Note: this is *very* northern. Outdoor runs and cycles are not an option with extreme windchill all of the time.

I had to swim in a 50-ft pool for about one year during similar "remote" work, which is essentially same length as your 15-m pool (15 m = 49.2 ft), and I just got used to turning more often. If you have decent flip turns, you'll def be faster by about 1 sec/extra turn, e.g. a 100 yd swim will be about 6 lengths of your 15-m pool, so 2 extra turns compared to 25-yd pool, so 2 sec/100-yd faster. Actually, the shortest pool i've ever swum in was only 30 ft long so it was only about 3.5 strokes per length between every flip. I did have bit of a headache after all those turns, but fortunately only had to swim there for 3 days:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would "second" the suggestion for the Vasa Swim Ergometer. Rather than just maintaining your swim, you will most likely find you will emerge from the six months away with improved power, endurance, technique, and speed from six months of use!

This is a sample of my Vasa swim training log: http://www.cortthesport.com/p/vasa-training.html. I'm not logging my workouts on the blog now that it's more of a part of my routine.

Here's more info on it here: http://www.vasatrainer.com

See you in Chicago next year! I'll be racing too!

Cort the Sport | http://www.CortTheSport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whine a lot to the management about the pool temperature. Remind them that turning down the heat saves them money.

During our pool closures, I have found the dry-land route to be of very little value because for me at least swimming is more about technique than anything else. I have used the tether and found it to be quite tedious. I soon started just doing short laps in the motel pool. The tether does seem to help you identify dead-spots in your stroke because if you are not pulling, you feel the elastic pulling you back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar problem during a 93 day deployment to a Middle Eastern garden spot, although there were zero pools. I used a combo of pull bands and lat pull downs in the gym, and was fairly happy with the amount of swim fitness I maintained (although I lost some, for sure).

Spot

Quote | Reply
Look at swimmersguide.com and see if there is a pool near where you are going.

Stay at a hotel close to the pool.

That is what I do when I travel and I have been in pools all around the world that are awesome.

I fly 125K miles per year for work and I always look at swimmers guide, then decide my hotel in a given place.
Quote Reply
Re: Remote work placement for 6 months - how to address swimming? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are no hotels this is remote, but thanks for the tip!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run PR's: 18:05 - 36:58 - 1:22:59 - 3:07

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My freshman year in high school we ended up having to train almost exclusively in a 20 yd pool (18ish meters) for the high school season. We did just fine. A guy on our team won states in the 50 free and we won our league. I dropped time from the summer long course season. And our turns were awesome ;-)

Of course it is not recommended it if you can get lanes in the local long course pool but you can get a very decent workout in in a 15m pool. You'll just be turning a lot and need to factor that in by lengthen your workout distances to compensate since you'll have a relatively high percentage of gliding time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, look at the bright side, you at least have some water to work with from time to time and this will help you keep a feel for the water. Dryland training would be optimal if you could add a Vasa Ergometer http://vasatrainer.com/...-swim-ergometer.html to the rollers you are bringing along. Maybe you could share cost with other athletes or the local gym to bring one in? Very sport specific training, no walls so great to simulate open water and monitor to track power, stroke rate, distance, time.
Additional dryland would include using resistance tubing, swim specific core and strength exercises. For pool, getting a swim cord http://www.nzmfg.com/products/sku/S119.aspx to tether up with will be great for sustained, no wall swimming for as long as you can tolerate with the warmer conditions. Best of luck with the month journey. Coach Eric
Quote Reply