Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Religion at Races: Your Thoughts
Quote | Reply
Anyone ever have any issues with religion making its way too heavily into a race? This past weekend I participated in a race and there was a prayer before the race, over the loud speaker, right after the course preview chat and right before the national anthem. Was led by a pastor and he blessed us all and the opportunity to be able to race. Then the national anthem and then the race started. This was a USAT sanctioned event and one of the larger events on the tri-circuit. Also along the entire bike course (56 miles/90 km) there were phrases taken from the Bible put out by FCA, I didn’t mind that as much as I minded the prayer before the race. My issue is what about the other religions that are not Christian? What if anything in the USAT says if sanctioned races can’t or shouldn’t throw so much religion upon everyone? I can understand a general announcement, “hey we are having a prayer circle over here 30 minutes before the race,” but over the general announcements loud speaker kind of threw me for a loop. Anyone have thoughts? Comments? Am I way out of line here? Just seemed odd that there wasn’t a “this is a religiously affiliated race” disclaimer on the race, but the religion was just there unable to be avoided. Don’t know just an unsettled feeling. Thoughts?

"Grind it til' you find it..."
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [eaz_b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I would be greatly annoyed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, good old wildflower

I'm not a particularly religious person, in fact not at all. I've done that race 5X and can't ever remember being bothered by it. Just go about your business, setting up transition, etc.. That RD runs a pretty good race, if he wants to pray before it, more power to him, doesn't bother me if it's broadcasted. I suppose if you want a jewish or muslim prayer, go to a race RD'd by someone of that religion?

ETA however that I am greatly annoyed that these religious leanings spelled the end of the mile 4 aid station. Where coeds were naked, or at least topless. Yup, this religious race used to have the best run aid station ever.

Seriously, what's the issue to get your panties in a bunch?
Last edited by: ChrisM: May 5, 14 16:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume you mean Wildflower? Not to make things relative in terms of how you felt, but the opening invocation was super light compared to other public event invocations I get throughout the San Joaquin Valley that I attend on behalf of my job, representing my employer (a State institution). Perhaps I'm numb to it, but the signs are pretty small, and the invocation pretty general. While it was a USAT sanctioned event, it's also a privately funded and hosted one (though in a park). I can see how it may slight those of a non-christian denomination, but it's a private event and I just ignore the small religious overtones that comes with participating in it.

I may be off base in terms of funding, etc., but I feel this one has a light hand in terms of religious messaging
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At all races, when they play the Star Spangled Banner I recite (out loud) the Lord's Prayer instead. It confuses the [heck] out of everyone.

And if I'm carded for drafting, instead of going to the penalty tent I simply do 5 Hail Mary's on my rosary beads and call it good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me, it is no more annoying than the national anthem - which is to say I find it quite a nuisance, but recognize that others may feel rather differently. In fact, it is not something that would make me not attend a race, but it may actually factor into religious people's decision as to what race to participate in.

That being said, why do we have to all stand around and listen to a national anthem for every sporting event out there? It feels rather nationalistic. I do find it has its place in international competition (i.e. international soccer games, olympic games, etc), but not in this setting.

In closing: Matthew 6:5
Last edited by: cloesch: May 5, 14 16:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live the bible belt of the south, and as an atheist, this is something that has been on my mind for quite some time. I have no problem with people praying or doing whatever they want to before races, but I share your view of it should be seperate. I don't raise a stink about it outside of bitching to my wife (who is a christian) in the car on the way home.

You can imagine where I live it is before pretty much EVERYTHING...5ks, sprints, olys, halves, fulls, fun runs, walks, obstacle course, bike races, bike rides, swims, I mean everything.

IMO I find it to be somewhat exclusionary of others.

I just use that time to get into my happy place before unleashing the fury.

Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was Wildflower. First time doing it so not sure if it is something new or not, but the aid stations seemed tame compared to the stories I've heard, plus my sister (oooff) used to be one of those girls unfortunately...

I think my panties were in a bunch over the lack of naked-ness ;) and also just kind of shocked to it. Race however was really well run, everything I thought went smoothly except for the way back up the hill after, but then again I had my own beverages to partake in and didn't festival it up as many I'm sure did. I guess growing up not in a religious household at all, just kind of shocked me. Who knows.

"Grind it til' you find it..."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think your out of line at all, my take on it is this....
If the prayer was general in nature, wishing me a safe race....I'd say thank you for the kind words....I'm ok with that.
Anything more devout than that, may walk the line of being offensive, unless of course, it's my Rabbi delivering the prayer :)
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would definitely be greatly annoyed by a race that forces me to participate or have to listen to anything religious without upfront warning or opportunity to escape from it. It is very disrespectful towards anyone with no or a different religion. For me personally, it would be totally unacceptable and I would never sign up for a race if I would have known this upfront. Or I would never do the race again if there is suddenly some religious event that is forced upon me. And I'd definitely go to USAT and file a complaint about it.

People are free to chose whether they want religion yes / no, and if so, which one. But when you are there for a triathlon, you should not be getting some religion shoved down your throat.

Quote | Reply
Did it harm you Ezra? Remember you live in America. The race director is openly and unapologetically Christian. He has every right too since its his race.

Quote | Reply
eaz_b wrote:
It was Wildflower. First time doing it so not sure if it is something new or not, but the aid stations seemed tame compared to the stories I've heard, plus my sister (oooff) used to be one of those girls unfortunately...

I think my panties were in a bunch over the lack of naked-ness ;) and also just kind of shocked to it. Race however was really well run, everything I thought went smoothly except for the way back up the hill after, but then again I had my own beverages to partake in and didn't festival it up as many I'm sure did. I guess growing up not in a religious household at all, just kind of shocked me. Who knows.

Fair enough... but.... what year did your sister volunteer there???? ;)

ETA - MY PT went to Cal Poly, as did his sister. A client was showing him a pic from triathlon mag, of the aid station, girls shown from the back, clearly no top. One of whom was his sister.....
Last edited by: ChrisM: May 5, 14 17:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 59 and not all that great of a swimmer so I don't mind it so much.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting to read as someone posted something on our tri club's facebook page about what a great race Wildflower is (nothing religion related). But hearing this is enough for me to not even consider racing Wildflower (whereas before it was more of a 'maybe next year' sorta thing).

Quote | Reply
It annoys me greatly and seems rather unconstitutional. But then again, our Supreme disagreed today:

Legislative Prayer Backed in U.S. Supreme Court Ruling
http://www.bloomberg.com/...me-court-ruling.html
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
Interesting to read as someone posted something on our tri club's facebook page about what a great race Wildflower is (nothing religion related). But hearing this is enough for me to not even consider racing Wildflower (whereas before it was more of a 'maybe next year' sorta thing).

Hmmm, maybe I'm just a less offensible kinda guy, but i really don't get this line of thinking. Don't get me wrong, a less crowded transition is a good thing. But I can't imagine being so offended by hearing a prayer from someone else's religion that I'd stay away from such an iconic race.... Like I've said, i've done it a bunch and think i've heard it once or twice? Not like they shove a communion wafer down your throat in T1 or anything
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. I'm not going to be doing that race.
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [DeeAye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How's it unconstitutional as a private event? I don't even like the idea of having the prayer, but it wouldn't stop me from doing this race if I get the chance and that's all there is to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I wanted a fairy tale I would go and watch Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Cobble wrote:

Hmmm, maybe I'm just a less offensible kinda guy, but i really don't get this line of thinking. Don't get me wrong, a less crowded transition is a good thing. But I can't imagine being so offended by hearing a prayer from someone else's religion that I'd stay away from such an iconic race.... Like I've said, i've done it a bunch and think i've heard it once or twice? Not like they shove a communion wafer down your throat in T1 or anything
It doesn't fit with my ideology. It seems it is not done in a way it provides equal opportunities to all religions to have their say... only one gets preferential treatment with no opportunity to avoid it.

Say this happens at the beginning of a race, there's a prayer and since I am an atheist, i chose not to listen and continue the conversation I was having with my other atheist friend. Would it be offensive to the prayer people? Or would I have to be quiet and essentially have my freedom of speech rights taken away from me under social pressure?

Quote | Reply
Cobble--It's annoying (and I am Christian!), but if you're going to be all that bothered by it, then do the rest of us that go to WF frequently a favor and don't. Especially if you're going to write USAT and all that shizz...spare the rest of the trouble of potentially being near you.

Ezra--I'm sure this weekend was par for the course. I just tune it out and/or let it be a quieter moment to get a bit zen before the race. How'd the race go? I'm expecting my email about it! :)

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
Cobble wrote:

It doesn't fit with my ideology. It seems it is not done in a way it provides equal opportunities to all religions to have their say... only one gets preferential treatment with no opportunity to avoid it.

Say this happens at the beginning of a race, there's a prayer and since I am an atheist, i chose not to listen and continue the conversation I was having with my other atheist friend. Would it be offensive to the prayer people? Or would I have to be quiet and essentially have my freedom of speech rights taken away from me under social pressure?

I've been there for the prayer and talked to my friends throughout No one said anything to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are asking if you are out of line.

My opinion: yes
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All religions are exclusionary, divisive and intolerant of those who don't believe in their particular myth. It's mission to explicitly to separate the flock for the final days.

Oh sorry, I thought I was on the American Atheist website.
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [Derf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally understand the position that it’s their event and they can run it whatever they want, and if I don't like it I can certainly not go.

That said, its a USAT sanctioned event, and my guess is USAT would like to be welcoming to people of all religions. When you bias in favor of one religion, how are the rest of the non-Christians there who have to listen to this loud prayer with everyone around them bowing their heads supposed to feel? It's the subtle (and not-so-subtle) things like this that turns people off to organization and groups that hold different religious beliefs. Religion is obviously pretty unique (legally and philosophically) than other issues.

If they want to have Christian prayers and signs at an event, then by all means go ahead, but I think they should drop the USAT designation and maybe let people know ahead of time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next