Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Regaining run fitness
Quote | Reply
Hi there

I'm a very average club level triathlete, mostly racing standard distance.

I tore my PCL a year ago (in the Dad's race at my kid's school sports days of all things) and had six months off running whilst recovering.

I'm now back to racing at the same level in swim and bike, but dropping 30" per km on the run compared to a year ago.

I don't get a lot of training time, but I use the Time-crunched Triathlete approach as much as I can.

I think I've lost my base run fitness and want to try and regain it; next race is not until September so I've got time to play with.

I've experimented with the BarryP approach to running previously; what's your advice for getting back up to speed on the run again in the next two months?

Thanks!

Huw
Quote Reply
Re: Regaining run fitness [BigOlPapaBear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just don't try to get back to those previous paces in 2 months.

I've taken extended time off of consistently running due to a nasty sprained ankle that took a long time to get better. Tried to up run paces too quickly and catch up to pre injury paces. Had an odd foot pain injury as a result.

Once that healed I inconsistently ran for the next year due to life (work, longer commute, first kid). During the winter tried to ramp up the run paces a bit too quick again. Knee pain hit me.

I'm still sidelined from running now for a different injury where I don't know how it really happened. Just moved wrong and then it got worse from there. At least I can still bike pain free (mostly) when I do get a chance.

Just try to get in a base and don't push it too hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Regaining run fitness [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long run, intervals or fartlek, tempo once a week.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply