Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Reflux and Running
Quote | Reply
For the past 15 months I have been experiencing massive reflux when running. When I don't run, there is very little reflux. Running (and other cardiovascular activities) seem to set it off. The faster I run, the more I reflux. The more I reflux, the less I can breathe - sometimes gasping for air.

I've tried just about everything, diet (gluten free for 2-months, cutting out coffee/caffeine for months), core exercises, drugs (proton pump inhibitors, Baclofen), breathing exercises, and even strapping my torso attempting to "cinch" my lower esophageal sphincter. Nothing has worked. I do get some minor relief if I suck on a cough drop while running since it stimulates the salivary glands and I can swallow periodically while exercising. But I'm still refluxing like crazy.

Anyone else experience this? How did you "solve" the refluxing mystery or what coping mechanisms did you use to continue running?

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Re: Reflux and Running [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you do omperazole 20mg BID?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I experience reflux while swimming, primarily due to the horizontal position, especially during hard sets. I use Gaviscon prophylactically; it is different from proton pump inhibitors ( like Prevacid) and H2 antagonists (like Pepcid or Zantac), and antacids. It's worth a try--you can purchase it OTC; it comes in a liquid or chewable tablets, and is somewhat foamy. It "coats" the stomach. Without the Gaviscon before swimming, I get reflux and sometimes esophageal spasms.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Reflux and Running [dakg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on gaviscon. It was a life saver for me.

Be very careful with the proton inhibitors, they block iron uptake. As an endurance athlete your iron levels and blood count can get messed up in no time. I’m about a year in to trying to get my numbers back up from a stint on them.

Reflux has largely been corrected by diet. I stay away from Gatorade and Powerade now. I drink mostly water and use gels. When I need a sports drink I go with infinite or scratch.

For me I get a lot of relief from burping. So, I never hold them anymore.... maybe TMI, but....

Good luck. I hope you get to the bottom of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to get that. I don't run with food in my stomach anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Reflux and Running [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Did you do omperazole 20mg BID?

Yes, exactly.
Quote Reply
Re: Reflux and Running [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:

Be very careful with the proton inhibitors, they block iron uptake. As an endurance athlete your iron levels and blood count can get messed up in no time. I’m about a year in to trying to get my numbers back up from a stint on them.

Reflux has largely been corrected by diet. I stay away from Gatorade and Powerade now. I drink mostly water and use gels. When I need a sports drink I go with infinite or scratch.

For me I get a lot of relief from burping. So, I never hold them anymore.... maybe TMI, but....

Thank you. Yes, I'm not a fan of pill popping. My general rule with meds is if its something I'll need to take daily and for the rest of my life then I'm very resistant. I was on-and-off PPI for about 8 years until I had my first kidney stone. When I read that PPI may contribute to stone development I swore them off. However, I started using them again to get some relief from all the reflux but to no avail. I also avoid Gatorade and similar products as they almost always make me reflux. Only in the last 10k of a marathon can I tolerate Gatorade (weird).
Quote Reply
Re: Reflux and Running [dakg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dakg wrote:
I experience reflux while swimming, primarily due to the horizontal position, especially during hard sets. I use Gaviscon prophylactically; it is different from proton pump inhibitors ( like Prevacid) and H2 antagonists (like Pepcid or Zantac), and antacids. It's worth a try--you can purchase it OTC; it comes in a liquid or chewable tablets, and is somewhat foamy. It "coats" the stomach. Without the Gaviscon before swimming, I get reflux and sometimes esophageal spasms.

Good luck!

Gaviscon is new to me - thanks for the recommendation. I'll research this and discuss it with my gastro during my next visit.

Edit: after reading about Gaviscon I'm very intrigued, here is their description: "Gaviscon Double Action gets to work quickly. It neutralises acid, and also forms a raft, or layer, on the top of your stomach contents. This helps to physically keep stomach acid in your stomach, where it belongs. Gaviscon Double Action also lasts up to twice as long as other acid reflux treatments known as antacids."

This sounds exactly what I need. And I can't believe it's available OTC. I wish I posted this 8-months ago! Fingers crossed.

Thanks again!!!
Last edited by: DC Pattie: Nov 22, 17 7:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you seen a doc or had any tests that would exclude other causes than "reflux?" Espohageal motility disorders, including achalasia, as well as other structural causes? Of course common things being common, reflux with or without hiatal hernia would be most likely but the happening during running vs. lying down supine seems a bit unusual...

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:

On phone now, so can't find good sources, but avoid the proton pump inhibitors, they have deadly consequences . I myself have this problem sometimes, chewing gum helps
Last edited by: synthetic: Nov 22, 17 10:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my gosh, you must have a seriously bad reflux... normally for me when I am having a reflux episode and run then I begin to burp it up and it goes away! same thing during the bike rides... normally coffee causes me most for my issues with acid reflux and unfortunately I cant stop drinking it either lol

I hope you find a way to control that issue!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:

Yes. Besides that, there is evidence emerging that PPIs cause long term GI problems like inflammation and food allergies and permanent (and quite unpleasant) bowel movement changes. These symptoms are usually diagnosed as IBS which is a placeholder for our ignorance right now. It is an emerging field of study. So is effects of antibiotic use on intestinal bacterial flora. This will some day be the new smoking. Lots of people have reduced their quality of life and greatly increased their chances of getting intestinal cancers by taking PPIs or unnecessary antibiotics.... probably. Like I said, it's still being studied.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Nov 22, 17 13:16
Quote Reply
Re: Reflux and Running [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
SBRinSD wrote:

Yes. Besides that, there is evidence emerging that PPIs cause long term GI problems like inflammation and food allergies and permanent (and quite unpleasant) bowel movement changes. These symptoms are usually diagnosed as IBS which is a placeholder for our ignorance right now. It is an emerging field of study. So is effects of antibiotic use on intestinal bacterial flora. This will some day be the new smoking. Lots of people have reduced their quality of life and greatly increased their chances of getting intestinal cancers by taking PPIs or unnecessary antibiotics.... probably. Like I said, it's still being studied.

Totally agree. For me, it was my first kidney stone. I cannot explain the pain. And the thought that PPI's may have played a role - that was the end for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope it works for you. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Best of luck!
Quote Reply