Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recurrent flats on trainer
Quote | Reply
Help appreciated for my technical muppetry..

I have had two flats on the indoor trainer in recent weeks. There was a decent time interval between them. Using continental indoor trainer tire on cycleops trainer, mavic rims.
Here are pictures of the second flat. I don't think I'm being crappy at installing the tubes. Looking at the second flat it's occurred on the rim side of the tube, off the centre line. The rim looks OK and the rim tape is all intact. There is a powdery residue and fibres of whitish material towards the edge of the tire.

Any suggestions? This is driving me mad having managed to cycle an entire season outdoors without a single flat.

https://drive.google.com/...4ZHc&usp=sharing
Last edited by: Drdan: Oct 19, 14 12:37
Quote Reply
Re: Recurrent flats on trainer [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replace the rim tape, it's cheap (if it's not the cause) but 99% likely that it is.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Recurrent flats on trainer [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at it further I wonder if the rim tape has shifted slightly on that section - it looks to becoming up almost to the very edge of the rim on that section and is slightly off-centre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is good to know. I had a blow out on the computrainer a few weeks back as well. I will check the rim tape!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is like a talic powder in the tube so that may be what your seeing. tires under inflated will also generate more heat on the trainer and cause flats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velox
Quote Reply
Re: Recurrent flats on trainer [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufit323 wrote:
Replace the rim tape, it's cheap (if it's not the cause) but 99% likely that it is.

This and also reduce the pressure on your roller so that your tire does not heat up as much. Try to ride with high wheel speed so that tire is inherently having more cooling than when you ride high wattage low wheel speed, high press on force. But even if you do that, there really should be no flatting. I recently had a trainer flat after perhaps 300 hours on the same tire (if not more) !
Quote Reply