Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recovery time window for physical improvement post workout
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I could use some education on a specific question regarding recovery.

Like so many other father and mother athletes I struggle a bit with my recovery at night after having my first baby last year.

Let's say I do a solid workout, be that a 6 hour endurance ride, a 1 hour of VO2Max or some threshold work or whatever.
Then I might be the one on "nightshift" later that day while the missus sleeps in the other room. My little baby boy is not overly fond of sleeping at night which means lots of lots of times where I need to get up and make him go back to sleep = no real quality sleep that night at all.
I might then get a good night sleep the day after though, when mummy takes the nightshift.

My question is how big of an impact on recovery and thereby fitness improvement do you think that has? I might be able to catch some hours of sleep in the early morning hours if im off from work when baby is kicking around in the living room with mummy and I zombie back to bed.

I supposed it vary from people to people but maybe someone have some good knowledge on this topic. I do take good care of my nutrition post workout, but the sleep is another matter :)

Thanks.

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery time window for physical improvement post workout [MichaelB88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well sleep is huge,that’s for sure.Not sure how old your baby is...from your post it seems like could be almost a year.. maybe it’s time to start some sleep training (for the baby,not you;))
It is really tough I know-i have 2 kids-but the sooner you can get them to sleep on their own(and get them to fall back to sleep on their own)-the better it will be for all of you.My son was the worst it seemed like he never slept.So I sympathize.I do not think it will affect your performance in the long run you will just be tired.
Of course-this is probably not helpful in your sleep deprived state!Take naps when you can and remember that this too will pass.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery time window for physical improvement post workout [MichaelB88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sleep is possibly the most important variable to your recovery. You might want to re-think those 6 hour endurance rides with the understanding you may get little sleep. I knew this would be an issue when my kids were young so I decided to take extra down time during the first few months. We just had our 3rd last year and decided to take an entire year off of competitive racing. Sure, I exercised but the when you are up in the night and that baby needs you when you get home from work as well, it makes you re-think your priorities. My advice: take some time off and when he is sleeping better, try and resume competitive stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took me awhile to acknowledge this, but I’ll share in case you’re listening (I didn’t for a long time)

Your training will not be the same for a long time. Even if you can squeeze in a 6 hour ride, you will recover slower. Your power / speeds will drop. Overtime, the allure of a 5 hour weekend workout will become a fleeting memory.

If you keep doing this to your body, you’ll start to get sick. Your body will just break / tear

You’ll turn to shorter workouts and just be happy to get something in

Slow down, train less and make the most of limited time you have with your new kiddo

I kind of wrote this to you, and also what I wish I would’ve listened to when I was just getting started being a dad
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery time window for physical improvement post workout [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with this. What you don't want to do is train yourself into a hole, continue to train hard off very poor rest (frequent 4hrs of sleep a night), ignore illnesses that you should have rested from because you don't dare miss more sessions than you already have, and end up giving yourself infective mononucleosis with impaired liver function causing you to pretty much stay in bed for 3 weeks, not train at all for 8 weeks, lose your red blood count, and ultimately never come close to being as fit as you were before you stopped using your brain.

Ask me how I know.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery time window for physical improvement post workout [aford_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My child arrived just the other day
He came to the world in the usual way
But there were planes to catch, and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away
And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew
He'd say, I'm gonna be like you, dad
You know I'm gonna be like you

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man in the moon
When you coming home, dad?
I don't know when
But we'll get together then
You know we'll have a good time then

My son turned ten just the other day
He said, thanks for the ball, dad, come on let's play
Can you teach me to throw, I said, not today
I got a lot to do, he said, that's okay
And he walked away, but his smile never dimmed
Said, I'm gonna be like him, yeah
You know I'm gonna be like him

When you coming home, dad?
I don't know when

Well, he came from college just the other day
So much like a man I just had to say
Son, I'm proud of you
Can you sit for a while?
He shook his head, and he said with a smile
What I'd really like, dad, is to borrow the car keys
See you later
Can I have them please?

When you coming home, son?
I don't know when

I've long since retired and my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said, I'd like to see you if you don't mind
He said, I'd love to, dad, if I could find the time
You see, my new job's a hassle, and the kid's got the flu
But it's sure nice talking to you, dad
It's been sure nice talking to you
And as I hung up the phone, it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me

When you coming home, son?
I don't know when
Last edited by: imsparticus: Dec 7, 17 18:43
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery time window for physical improvement post workout [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said & so true! Wise advice, grasshopper!
Quote Reply