Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recovery method applications/comparison
Quote | Reply
I'd like to hear a comparison of ice therapy (of any means, such as ice bath or packs) vs compression therapy (such as Normatec, etc).

They obviously work by different means - ice by decreasing inflammation and pain, and compression by encouraging lymphatic/venous return.

Both would be very useful after extreme efforts, such as IM, where there is lots of inflammation and edema. I would assume both would be most beneficial in the first 3-5 days following the trauma of a race or hard training.

If you had to choose one, from a training perspective, when the trauma is not as significant as a full IM, which is more advantageous? More frequent ice baths, or compression? I'm guessing that since edema is unlikely during training, that ice would be the more applicable therapy (choosing only one).
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery method applications/comparison [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some experts have suggested that ice bathing (and hindering the post workout inflammation) may reduce the adaptation that a body experiences from a hard training session.

I have no idea if this is actually the case. Some say that's not quite accurate.

In my opinion, even the fact that some suggest that could be the case, is enough for me to generally avoid ice bathing.

My understanding is also that compression does not hinder this inflammation.

This has been discussed on these forums previously as well:
http://buff.ly/YNTRdx
http://buff.ly/1rqNgCz
http://buff.ly/YNTZJN

My approach is to keep it simple. The best recovery or way to prevent/reduce DOMS is to simply train proper before a hard session or race, progress your training properly into hard sessions, do a thorough warmup, and practice adequate rest/recovery after a key workout.

---
KyleKranz.com
Win a pair of SKORA Running Shoes!
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery method applications/comparison [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For training, I would choose compression (such as normatecs) because you are healing the inflammation rather than reducing the inflammation. However, for something like back-to-back events when you just need to recover fast, I would do both. For example I am racing and IM in October and in November, and for sure I will do both the icing and compression, because I need to get back into training as soon as possible.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery method applications/comparison [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
For training, I would choose compression (such as normatecs) because you are healing the inflammation rather than reducing the inflammation. However, for something like back-to-back events when you just need to recover fast, I would do both. For example I am racing and IM in October and in November, and for sure I will do both the icing and compression, because I need to get back into training as soon as possible.

I concur with this.

---
KyleKranz.com
Win a pair of SKORA Running Shoes!
Quote Reply