Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recovery from 70.3 in Peak IM training
Quote | Reply
I did a 70.3 last weekend and I'm finding the recovery is taking longer than expected compared to other 70.3s I've done. I'm 4.5 weeks out from my IM. I had a long run and long ride planned for this weekend but I'm wondering if I should skip it this weekend. This would only give me 2 more weeks for a long ride and run. My average volume per week since June 1st is 18hrs which includes tapering for races, recovery weeks, and crashing my bike recovery time. So I feel I have adequate volume.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery from 70.3 in Peak IM training [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you answered your own question. Better a little under-done than a little over-cooked
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced a 70.3 last weekend as well. Took me a little longer to recover as well. All week was easy stuff but I did go for 5 hr ride today (IM in 7 weeks). Coach has me just doing a short run tomorrow. I asked if I should do more and he adamantly said no because of the race and today was my first century all year.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:
I did a 70.3 last weekend and I'm finding the recovery is taking longer than expected compared to other 70.3s I've done. I'm 4.5 weeks out from my IM. I had a long run and long ride planned for this weekend but I'm wondering if I should skip it this weekend. This would only give me 2 more weeks for a long ride and run. My average volume per week since June 1st is 18hrs which includes tapering for races, recovery weeks, and crashing my bike recovery time. So I feel I have adequate volume.

In terms of risk vs. reward I would just do a shorter bike and run instead. The loss of potential fitness from missing a single long ride and long run session is likely to have little impact on race day, but burnout or inadequate recovery in the weeks leading up to an IM can be significant. It also sounds like you have a lot of volume in your legs since June so a bit of recovery shouldn't hurt :)

I personally don't do well with complete rest days, which is why I recommend replacing the sessions with a short bike and run.
Last edited by: jakobsandberg: Sep 16, 17 19:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have 4.5 weeks to go. One is a taper. Out of the 3.5 left, some beeds to be recovery. Why not take that when you know you are tired and cooked from a 70.3? 18-20 days is PLENTY for one last block. It takes discipline to lay off, especailly when you getting close. I took a full 6 days ez, (2 completely off) 3 weeks out IM Texas. 9 hard days then 4 days to taper and won my AG. You need to rest to fill up the tank for the end of those races.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery from 70.3 in Peak IM training [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I decided to get my long run in yesterday and skipped my long bike. I made today easy bike, run, swim day. I feel like once I hit 40 this year I need more easy days...haha! I think laying off things when needed has payed dividends for me since I had a 7 min PR in my HIM last weekend. So next two weeks is going to be an epic block and I should be a lot fresher for holding back this week a little.
Quote Reply