Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recovery Advice Request
Quote | Reply
I'm a 55 year old male who is returning to the sport after a 4 year hiatus. For the past 4 years, I have been staying very modestly active....run 3 - 4 miles once or twice a week, 30 - 45 mins on the spinner once a week, did the crossfit thing for about a year and have been doing power yoga once or twice a week for the last year. Over those 4 years I have put on about 20 pounds. My goal is to be ready for a HIM in late October, with an OLY on Aug1 and Aug 30 currently scheduled.

I am right now primarily biking one day and running the next, for about 75 minutes to build my endurance and cut weight and feel I am making progress. However, I continue to be pretty sore and my legs are feeling somewhat fatigued. I know that I need to build in some rest days as well and am doing that but wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions on (1) general training guidance and (2) recovery nutrition (and overall nutrition for that matter).

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery Advice Request [tojunialto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's no magic bullet when it comes to nutrition. Just eat a healthy, balanced diet of healthy fats, carbs, and protein. Don't get caught up in the snake oil companies will try to push -- the advantage, if it exists, is negligible at best for the level of work most of us put out.

Stop running 75 minutes. It's too hard on your body at first, even for a crossfitter. Run 6 days a week, but shorter in duration. Read the Barry P plan that all of ST vouches for -- it will lead you to new heights with your running. Frequency beats duration every time. Consistency is key.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My recovery rule: If your muscles/joints are sore...do not work them out. Maybe a little 10-20 minute jog or ride at an enjoyable pace...also called a recovery run/ride. Soreness means they have not recovered enough for a stressful workout.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a foam roller tool like the "Grid" from Trigger Point Therapy and make that a regular practice. A simple 10-15 minutes each day will do wonders for the longevity of the soreness. I find the more I've worked the tighter my ligaments get which is the source of a lot of aliments. IT band, Achillies, and the hipflexors. Keep them loose as possible.

As for nutrition I agree with the other poster above. Just try to eat healthy, load up early on in the day and keep drinking water and nothing else. The weight will fall off quickly.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Jul 6, 15 7:43
Quote Reply