Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Recon Jet Reviews?
Quote | Reply
The early adopters were supposed to get theirs in December, now that you should have had them for around 6-8 weeks, wondering what your initial thoughts are? How heavy are they on your face? is it information overload? Is it annoying? Have you both run and ridden with them?

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Recon Jet Reviews? [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they announced a delay in shipping to spring 2014.... so don't think any of them are out yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pre-ordered. Yep, I'm a gadget whore. The last update was November 8, 2013, saying shipment was delayed. No updates since. I have contacted the company this week and asked for an update.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Recon Jet Reviews? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got this on Jan 17

"It is my pleasure to deliver this update on Jet's progress. In my my last note to you, you read that the team and I decided a hardware re-design was required. Today, I am pleased to report that the re-design was successful and we are pleased with the results. Design and hardware engineering are now complete and I've greenlighted production ramp up."

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Recon Jet Reviews? [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I never received that update. That does not make me happy at all.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all, WOAH, you venture out of the LR!

haha

I am a gear whore too, and I really want these to be awesome. I preordered but then cancelled, Now just waiting to be able to click buy and they show up in a couple days.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just returning to my roots!

I have never invested in vaporware before. Now I remember why ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been doing some proof of concept code on the Recon Snow2. It has a bluetooth hand control which works pretty well for navigating. Easier to use that the Google Glass on frame control. It will be interesting to see how the Jet on frame touch pad works. It maybe hard to use too. The screen I think is easier to read than Glass as it is not transparent, which is problematic in changing light conditions. I think the big thing that most will quickly realize is that the screen is pretty small and having more than one metric on screen may not be practical. That and you still have to take your eyes off what you are doing, much like looking down at your bike computer. You just don't have to move your head.
Quote Reply
Re: Recon Jet Reviews? [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah when I realized you still have to focus on something just in front of your eye I kind of realized I probably don't want one.

I wonder if it is possible to make the image out of focus in a way that you can see it clearly at the infinite focal point?

am I talking madness?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Recon Jet Reviews? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be an interesting trick. I'd guess that it is a bit like trying to make a full sized image from a thumbnail. If it is out of focus because of your eye all the data is still there, but if it is out of focus because of the screen you are now missing data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dogmile wrote:
That would be an interesting trick. I'd guess that it is a bit like trying to make a full sized image from a thumbnail. If it is out of focus because of your eye all the data is still there, but if it is out of focus because of the screen you are now missing data.

You may be right, you might have to have a large display mapping to a smaller image to do it, if it can be done at all.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe you can do it with lenses etc, but it might be bulky. From flight HUDs below.

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ohhh, I wonder what the theoretical limitations are on shrinking that are.

Mrcooper wrote:
I believe you can do it with lenses etc, but it might be bulky. From flight HUDs below.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, through the magic of optics, the image can appear to be focused further in front of you than the surface on which it is projected.

As an example, Google Glass' image appears to be ~8' in front of you, even though the surface on which it's projected is ~25mm in front of your eye.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Recon Jet Reviews? [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True. I was more thinking about modifying the view at the pixel screen level which wouldn't work. Lenses can do it. I should stick to domains I know something about. The Recon has an external facing convex lens, Glass just has the 45 degree screen surface that is projected from behind visible. (I won't be disassembling either to see what else is going on inside) You are still limited by the number of pixels on the small screen. The 640x360 Glass screen or 428x240 Recon screen do not feel like you are looking at a 30in HD TV. Even if the Glass screen appears to be 8ft away. Interestingly the Glass image may appear 8ft away, unless you are looking at a surface that is closer. Like a wall, in which case it appears to be on the wall if it is closer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried google glass (brother-lin-laws) with strava, pretty much felt like I would definitely die if I used it for running or cycling. I assume you maybe get used to it and train to only look occasionally. I'm hoping the jet's screen position will help quite a bit. Focusing down every now and then (similar to what we do with a garmin) as oppose to squinting up. Saying this all though, maybe I should just get a new garmin instead :). At least till some cool apps come out for Recon. I could think of one useful one...:)

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no problem; this was working on head-mounted displays I was wearing 20+ years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, certainly will take getting used to. For me both require I take my eyes off what I'm doing. Like looking down at your bike computer or watch.
The other interesting thing is the Recon has on board gps. Glass requires the paired device to provide gps, which will likely make it much less appealing for athletic use. That and Recon supports ANT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of recon goggles for skiing a few things I have noticed.

- Depending on lighting the screen will wash right out
- My goggles allow me to adjust the screen this is good because if the screen is not in the correct place you will not see the whole thing, if my goggles move down just a little while skiing I loose the entire lower section
- At first its distracting but after a while you kinda forget about it
- I run a garmin 500 with a full screen of information not sure how that will all fit on the Recons?
- I really like the music app not much use on the bike
- I like that when paired to my phone my info is updated to the recon engage website automatically so no downloading when I get home.
- I found it funny that when I look at the screen I still move my head down
- I am getting around 5 hours per charge in the cold.

My Blog of Me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just received another update today. Looks like they now hope to ship by September 25, 2014.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTF, that's lame.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just received another update today. The September 24, 2014 ship date has officially been scrapped. Now projected to ship Jan - Mar, 2015.

They are providing a great deal of info on the product. Sure looks incredible (if we ever see it).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you share the info that they sent you? Or is it listed on the site?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remind you of anything? cough<vector>cough

:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nebmot wrote:
Can you share the info that they sent you? Or is it listed on the site?

Here you go. This is what was in the email: http://www.reconinstruments.com/...-update-august-15th/

Quote Reply

Prev Next