Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommended race day tire pressure for Zipp 404/GP4000S Combo
Quote | Reply
215 lb rider, 23mm Conti GP4000S tire, Zipp 404 clinchers, dry conditions. I usually train at 110 psi but wondering if this is correct. Thoughts? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended race day tire pressure for Zipp 404/GP4000S Combo [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm about 40lbs lighter than you and usually run my FLO 60/90 set with 23mm GP4000s and latex tubes at 105f/110r if the pavement is good. If it's rougher I drop both by 5 psi.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended race day tire pressure for Zipp 404/GP4000S Combo [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should ride at the max psi with that weight. I weigh 180 and tried only 110 psi and was significantly slower. You're giving up a lot of speed for sure.

1xatbandcamp wrote:
215 lb rider, 23mm Conti GP4000S tire, Zipp 404 clinchers, dry conditions. I usually train at 110 psi but wondering if this is correct. Thoughts? Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended race day tire pressure for Zipp 404/GP4000S Combo [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
I weigh 180 and tried only 110 psi and was significantly slower.

Hmmm, I had a hard time detecting any difference with a powermeter field test from 90 to 120psi @ 175lbs

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended race day tire pressure for Zipp 404/GP4000S Combo [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
I'm about 40lbs lighter than you and usually run my FLO 60/90 set with 23mm GP4000s and latex tubes at 105f/110r if the pavement is good. If it's rougher I drop both by 5 psi.

Try 90F/95R... rides so much better. I'm same weight as you and don't have any pinch flat issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended race day tire pressure for Zipp 404/GP4000S Combo [CDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a formula out there somewhere but it escapes me now. Try this little tool, it's crude but I think it should give you some idea.

http://www.biketinker.com/...pressure-calculator/

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended race day tire pressure for Zipp 404/GP4000S Combo [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you detect a difference in comfort across that range?

Everything I have seen says it's much better to err on the side of too low than too high. I have some 22mm GP4000s tubulars on the road bike and it's amazing how much more I like them at 80psi than 110+.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended race day tire pressure for Zipp 404/GP4000S Combo [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

kjmcawesome wrote:
Could you detect a difference in comfort across that range?

No, but I have never been sensitive to comfort, and the road fairly smooth.

I did crash myself for the first time ever in a crit after I tried a higher (120psi) pressure because the data indicated that *maaaaybe* that was a little faster.

So I go back to around 110psi now

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended race day tire pressure for Zipp 404/GP4000S Combo [CDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious, better in what way? Handling, comfort, something else? I've tried running them lower and didn't really notice a difference. I ride a TitanFlex so comfort is rarely, if ever, an issue.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michelin has a chart that gives you a rough idea. Sorry, but I don't have a link.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At your weight you should be riding 23mm tires at the max.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended race day tire pressure for Zipp 404/GP4000S Combo [xine2kgts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thx I'll try 120 psi on my last few training rides before the race. Yes I'm heavy at 215 but at 6'4" my co workers keep telling me to eat a sandwich! Tx everyone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't tell us what the road surface is like. Nice and smooth, pump them babies up to max (120psi?). Hmmmmm, thinking back to another thread, should we be using "bar" instead?

But, with a rough road you may want to drop a bit, down to 110. I've always ridden at higher pressures, typically 120 and that's with a weight from 180 to 210 (depending upon how large I am at the time). Now that I'm at 185 and hoping to drop, I may try some lower pressures as I've also moved to 25mm tires for my Flos.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended race day tire pressure for Zipp 404/GP4000S Combo [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
Michelin has a chart that gives you a rough idea. Sorry, but I don't have a link.

Here it is. And like it says, if you weigh over 180 lbs., inflate to the maximum pressure indicated on the sidewall.

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended race day tire pressure for Zipp 404/GP4000S Combo [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
texafornia wrote:

Hmmm, I had a hard time detecting any difference with a powermeter field test from 90 to 120psi @ 175lbs

What sort of road surface? This is on my "to-do" list. My go-to loop is mildly coarse... probably representative of the average road in the southeastern U.S: old but not too many potholes.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended race day tire pressure for Zipp 404/GP4000S Combo [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been involved in numerous tests on this topic and when the riders are blinded and power-meters are used (one of them we even used an aerostick to remove ambient wind as a variable..or at least compensate for it) and have never seen anything like texafornia's experience.

What we have found is that often times a rider, blind to the variable as well as the data will comment on 'being slower' or 'feeling slower' but it has never borne out in the data. I always call this the 'wrangler effect' the idea being that you can go 80mph in a jeep wrangler on a rough highway and feel as if you are facing certain death..while the same road and same speed in an S Class Mercedes probably wouldn't be noticed if you were reading the newspaper in the passenger seat. High frequency vibrations are the one thing that people generally are good at detecting the presence or lack of, so I've been convinced for the last few years that much of our perception of speed comes from these vibrations more than anything else.

My first experience with this was testing the original Vittoria made Zipp tires vs the mid 1990's Zipp tires made by Tufo. We found that no matter what we did, the Tufo's were slower, and one of the test riders insisted that they were the 'fastest tire ever' if you put them at 160, so we did and while he came back with a giant 'I told you so grin' saying things like 'see what I mean, smoking' fast!' The data actually found that to be the slowest run we had done all day!

My recommendation is to start at 100 and don't just go out and ride, but corner. You are much more sensitive to tire movement when cornering than when doing anything else. If the cornering is vague, add a few, if it's skittish, take a few out. I'd say 90% of us will run a 23mm tire between 90 and 110, maybe 120 if you're at the heavier end of the spectrum, within that band, the rolling resistance change is extremely minimal, so you really can dial the pressure for feel and cornering grip/confidence to make the most of what you have.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running the same setup but as 606's and almost the same size currently 6'3" 203lb down from 214 in jan (not enough calories training for 70.3...). I run 125 max psi and have run tubies with Vitoria tires at 130. I previously ran around 100 a couple of years ago and changed up after timing
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended race day tire pressure for Zipp 404/GP4000S Combo [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa, that's really interesting... I weigh 155lbs and I usually inflate my front 100 and rear 105. According to that chart I should be at 78 - 80 psi or so.

Seems very low but I might have to give that a shot with the Flo 60/90 combo running latex tubes at GP4000S 2's.

***Edit... Whoops, transposed 32 and 23... I'm right at 105psi. Phew, thought I was losing it.

texafornia wrote:
Rambler wrote:

Here it is. And like it says, if you weigh over 180 lbs., inflate to the maximum pressure indicated on the sidewall.

-Alex

Last edited by: bostonalex: May 23, 14 23:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
You should ride at the max psi with that weight. I weigh 180 and tried only 110 psi and was significantly slower. You're giving up a lot of speed for sure.

1xatbandcamp wrote:

agreed.....unless I'm way off base, shouldn't you always run full PSI unless you are allowing for hot conditions and blown tires?

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended race day tire pressure for Zipp 404/GP4000S Combo [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am testing out the Vittorias this season (race and training) and they have a calculator that was somewhat interesting..I was running the 4000s last year but got a good deal on the Evo Tri's and Radial Pro's, so we will see how they go...no issues training on the Diamante's but the Evo Tri's do seem thin but really nice...couple test rides before race so we will see.

http://www.vittoria.com/...recom-tyre-pressure/
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended race day tire pressure for Zipp 404/GP4000S Combo [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shivermetimbers wrote:
texafornia wrote:

1xatbandcamp wrote:

agreed.....unless I'm way off base, shouldn't you always run full PSI unless you are allowing for hot conditions and blown tires?

No......and blown tires is an urban myth. Unles installed imporperly and that is not a heat issue. To blow a tire has to be way way way over marked max. Two, you only gain about 4psi per 20 degress. ......................see Josh's post above. Not much more of an expert than him out there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shivermetimbers wrote:
texafornia wrote:

1xatbandcamp wrote:

You're way off base. So is texafornia. Sorry.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
texafornia wrote:

Tried it on my regular loop ride a year ago or so. Lost about .75 mph on average, watts and weather all the same. After that, decided to stick with the experts who made the chart.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with Texafornia. The Conti web page recommends psi of 110-120 for that tire. Given a weight of 215, I'd say that was definitely at the higher end. Anything less than 115 and your waiting for a pinch flat (I think).
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended race day tire pressure for Zipp 404/GP4000S Combo [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the confirmation that 100-105 fr/105-110 rear is just right at 175-180lbs.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply