Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommended cable and housing
Quote | Reply
I would like to replace the brake and shifting cables on my bike. I have never done this before. Are all cables and housing created equal? Is it more about personal preference or are some manufacturers better than others? Recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended cable and housing [Dallcro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've not really noticed much difference between Shimano and Campy kits, or Jagwire or REI kits. Gore Ride On is nice, but expensive. Just make sure the housing and cable diameter is the same you are changing out, you'll be fine. Oh.. I don't like the Teflon coated cables, the coating comes off, they look bad, and really don't perform better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Jagwire for my shimano components. They are not the lightest or most expensive but I've never had failure and my shifting and braking always works.

On my bike with campy, however, I use campy stuff...I just think that it can be a bit finicky using off brands.

Matt
Race-Ready Endurance Training
Team BIKEWAY.com
NYPD Racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go for budget items and replace first sign that inner isn't sliding freely. I look for a stainless inner, and will replace these often. I usually only need to change the outer when I'm changing fit or color scheme.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just stick to the Shimano ones. Relatively inexpensive compared to other parts on a bike and last me for ages. Other than the chain, my attitude to bike maintenance is generally that if it's not broken, not making any noise, and not impacting my riding experience (e.g. bad shifts or braking) then it's fine. On that basis I've had cables that lasted me 8 years and ~25,000 miles on one bike (and it was a bike that got ridden year round in rain, with salt on the roads, etc). Brake cables on my single speed commuter are 6 years old and still working (and looking) fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me what makes the biggest difference is not the manufacturer of the cable or housing but how I prep the ends of the housing where I cut it.

If you don't have a dremel or something similar that you can sand/file down the ends of the housing where you make the cut , the braking and shifting will suffer.

It's more about your effort than the supplier of the housing and cable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mostly use Jagwire because it available to me but I also like Shimano and REI brands.

I probably re-cable my tri bike 2 times a year cuz I'm crazy about perfect shifting.
Last edited by: jaretj: Dec 18, 14 5:02
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended cable and housing [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a fan of the Jagwire housing in combination with Shimano cables, they work great and the Jagwire housing is also available as bulk (not pre-cut). The standard Shimano housing I could only find precut last time and some parts are just too short so I need to start messing around and coupling them.

Quote | Reply
OMG!

Thanks for this thread.

My cables are over-due (like more than 4 years - no kidding).

And, I'm actually fairly mechanical - (lazy I guess, or, not so picky) :-|

good info here though.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally speaking, Shimano cables (Dura-Ace/XTR) have marginally better performance. I have heard good things about the new cables for DA9000.

That being said, the difference is small, and as mentioned, installation can make a big difference, as can the weather conditions your ride in

You need to decide what is important for you:
The absolute best performance, even if you have to pay more, and change it more often to maintain that performance. (Shimano)
The least hassle, not having to change it often, even if you have to pay more. (Ride-On, or the Jagwire equivalent)
Low cost, even if you have to change it often to maintain acceptable performance. (Jagwire or other 3rd party)

Installation is a big deal. Don't assume that the factory cut the cables to the right length. Get quality cutters. Some people swear by having different cutters for the cable and for the housing. Filing or Dremelling the ends and at least making sure the inner hole is open and round is critical. The Jagwire and SRAM cable cutters have an integrated awl for prepping the hole.

Quote Reply