Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommendations for first western-US HIM?
Quote | Reply
I'm planning on doing my first half-Ironman distance race next year. I'll be doing the "long course" event (really a non-branded HIM race) at Pacific Crest in June, but I would like to do an Ironman-branded event that fall, too. I had originally thought maybe Tahoe, but I hear the bike course is pretty rough. While I don't want it to be "easy", I'd like to survive. :)

The other caveat is that it has to be driving distance (overnight is fine) from Oregon; I don't fly, and don't have any desire to ship my bike (though renting one at the venue might be an option).

Here's what I'm seeing as options:
Silverman
Tahoe
Vineman
Boise
Lake Stevens
Victoria, BC
Vancouver, BC

Any recommendations?

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for first western-US HIM? [fitknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone? :)

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a wonderful time at Leadman Bend a couple years ago. First time in Oregon and I fell in love - you've got a beautiful state there! Unique format and the 125 option might be worth considering.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for first western-US HIM? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard of Leadman before from other locals, I'll have to give it some serious thought. Thanks!

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on what I've heard of Leadman 125, I'd recommend it based on hearsay. Lake Stevens is not a fantastic race (setting is great, course okay, everything around it medicore at best; note I haven't done the race itself, but have been around it + trained on course + spent enough time in Lake Stevens to have a somewhat informed opinion), but cannot say much about the rest of your options. I know that the BC races were pretty well regarded prior to WTC, but no idea how they are these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you are already doing a Half in June, might I suggest doing Vineman AquaBike full. I just did it as part of my training program for IMAZ in the fall. Its similar in effort level and time expenditure as a HIM, but without the run injury risk (which is probably overplayed in my opinion at least). Plus it s a Saturday race, and its in Wine Country, great restaurants etc. Also, cost is lower, since it is not an MDot race, but it has the same support level as MDot since its the same crew that puts on IM70.3Vineman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Boise in 2012 and it snowed, so bike course was cut short. It was really cold at the start, but sunny and warm at the finish. I did LS last year, which was in late July. I thought both courses were great, with good local support. For me, the logistics might be a key factor for someone decided between the two.

Boise –
Swim – the reservoir is outside of town and you bike into town. The water is usually pretty cold. The run is a double loop flat course. It’s great for family to watch and along a small river. You can stay in Boise and take shuttle to start line. It also starts at noon, so that is a plus for some people. Overall, I would do this again, but weather can be a factor.

Lake Stevens – swim in a warm lake with markers below water you can use as guides. The bike as a lot of turns, up and downs, but it was fun and challenging. The run is a loop (about 3mi) that brings you back to town, then you do an out and back. This is done twice, so it is great for family to watch. Lake Stevens is a small town and no places to stay. If you stay in Everett/North Seattle you’ll have a 20/30min drive in the morning, plus you may have to pay for parking around lake stevens. I live in Seattle and would consider doing this again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Early May could be too early for your schedule but I usually start the season with the Wildflower long course, it's not easy, but as they say it's more than just a race, it is a festival and it is certainly well run, hopefully we will get some rain in Northern California this year so there will some water to swim in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Tahoe. It's in September. No clue what the course is like, but I'll be able to tell you in 2 months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...and to just try to set the hook on Leadman, some other things I really liked about it:

1. Lake Cultus is amazing. It's a pretty lake and super clear - it was like swimming in a bottle of Evian. Being able to clearly see the bottom the entire time is a visual that I will have etched in my brain for a long time.

2. The bike course is tough and beautiful - breathtaking squared.

3. The run through the Bend area was also nice and challenging.

4. And if you like swag, when I did it, they gave away a bike jersey, long sleeve shirt, a hat, and a bunch of other stuff. The nicest collection of stuff I have ever received at a race. The after race had good food, and they gave us a glass from the Deschutes Brewery, with a free beer if you like that kind of thing.

5. My race actually didn't go all that well, but volunteers were great all along the course, helping keeping me motivated.

Man. Good memories. Gotta get back out there soon. Might have to talk to the wife about a trip next year...

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for first western-US HIM? [stinkerpeter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stinkerpeter wrote:
Lake Tahoe. It's in September. No clue what the course is like, but I'll be able to tell you in 2 months.
I've heard the bike course is brutal...I'll be looking for race reports after this years' event to get people's impressions.

- John
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for first western-US HIM? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, the "clear as Evian" might freak me out...I'm not a great swimmer, and the less I see the better...

That being said, Bend is practically my backyard (only a 2.5 hour drive) and a great overnight/weekend trip. Definitely going to add Leadman to my list of possibles for next year!

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Silverman - Is that race still on? Oh wow yes it is. The course is your typical southwest setting if you like that sort of thing. Swim may not be wetsuit legal not even in early October. It may be hot. Or not.

Tahoe -High elevation and lots of hills on the bike course. Don't do it unless you like bike climbing and you know you can run okay at altitude. Late September so it's anyone's guess what the weather will do.
Vineman - I'd go with this one if you can get in. Race is popular and sells out quickly. The course is scenic. Nothing too tough. And the area is a nice travel destination if that's important to you. Weather will probably cooperate.
Boise -Noon start and early season date define this race. Good and bad. Good because you can get up late and have a real breakfast. Bad because run is in late afternoon. Strong winds pick up mid afternoon (on the bike). Swim is coooold and it could be snowing. Or not.
Lake Stevens - Yeah that race. The town is hicksville. It is an hour out of Seattle. Race got pushed to August. The lake is the town dump and it smells by August. Bike course is scenic and has almost 4000 feet of climbing. Only one long steady climb. The rest are small relentless hills. Run is a 2 loop course through town with three smallish hills on it so you are climbing 6 times.
Victoria, BC - Swim is great. Warm which is odd. ;) Bike again small hills and rollers but nothing like Lake Stevens. Run is a trail run around the lake with virtually no elevation. This is a great race and Victoria is a great travel destination. You can take a ferry from Seattle to get there.
Vancouver, BC - Never done it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fitknight wrote:
Ha, the "clear as Evian" might freak me out...I'm not a great swimmer, and the less I see the better...

That being said, Bend is practically my backyard (only a 2.5 hour drive) and a great overnight/weekend trip. Definitely going to add Leadman to my list of possibles for next year!

I did Leadman 125 last year and loved it. I love Bend and I have been trying to move down there for the last several months. It is just hard for a consumer electronics engineer to find work. We had a "freak" storm last year that made the race very interesting but those who were "layer ready" didn't have any problems.

Here is my race report:
http://triathlontrainingupdates-shaun.blogspot.com/...125-race-report.html

The morning temp was 39 degrees and there was a high of 54 degrees. It was sleeting at the high point of Mt Bachelor.

Leadman draws a bit more competitive of a crowd than Pacific crest so that is kind of cool. I am usually a 25%-35% finisher, but this race I finished about 50%. It was a real challenge but it was AN AMAZING challenge.
Last edited by: lifejustice: Aug 1, 14 15:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Judging by elevation gain alone the Lake Tahoe 70.3 bike will be easier than the Pacific Crest long course you plan to tackle. (+- 500' less gain) Although the higher elevation may even things out a little. You might consider Challenge Rancho Cordova as an easier fall option
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Stevens is a solid meh. Nice bike, mediocre run. Not a whole lot around the area. Having the cable under the water for sighting on the swim is cool though.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for first western-US HIM? [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boise: good overall, late start which is good and bad. Weather is a crapshoot, was there during the snow and then this year which was a good temp but windy. Very nice run, much in the shade and pancake flat. Bike is pretty good, not terribly scenic. Swim is fine, rectangle in Lucky Peak.

Lake Stevens: good swim....or was. Moving to late August has me concerned as I have heard the lake becomes smelly. Awesome bike, one loop, very scenic and shady. Hills, turns, descents. Great bike. Run is meh, kind of through the town of Lake Stevens, some parts good, some bad. If you have family coming, there is a hot corner where you pass 5 times IIRC

Leadman: definitely on my list!

Toughman: you might look into that as well, it's on the WA coast.

Troika: in Spokane and is a 1/2 with quite a history, used to be a Kona qualifier.

ChelanMan: I think that's the name, another that has a huge variety if options at just about every distance.

Victoria: almost did that this yr but it was a week after Boise. Looks like a great course, I would put this on your list. Good reviews from what I have seen and was quite an established race prior to WTC got it this yr.

Vancouver: put on by the same people as Victoria. Looks pretty good too.

I would look at Victoria first, Boise then LS if you want IM branded. If not, I would look at Toughman, ChelanMan and Troika. Rev3 had a race in Portland but pulled out. Too bad because I would have loved to try it the only CA races have done is Oceanside and it was great but already sold out for 2015. I did Calgary this yr and it was great but a bit far for you to drive. Best of luck, there are plenty of options up here.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for first western-US HIM? [Minicane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Minicane wrote:
Lake Stevens: good swim....or was. Moving to late August has me concerned as I have heard the lake becomes smelly. Awesome bike, one loop, very scenic and shady. Hills, turns, descents. Great bike. Run is meh, kind of through the town of Lake Stevens, some parts good, some bad. If you have family coming, there is a hot corner where you pass 5 times IIRC

And how! There's an oly distance race there in early September which I've done once. The lake literally smelled like sewer (you know that smell?) and in one particular spot near the shore while swimming back toward the dock my lips were tingling like they were asleep. :scared: It was a two loop swim and on both loops my lips did that in that same spot. No idea what that was. I didn't get sick. The lake was so gross, that was all everyone was talking about at the food tent after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vineman is an obvious answer here - provided you get in with the minutes-online sellout. (Sold out in <4 mins this year.)

Deep field, top-rate race production, experienced race directors, beautiful course and easily a top rated vacation area if you fly. ]

Swim is about as easy as you can get while still being legit distance and rewarding strong swimmers - you can actually stand and walk since it's a shallow riverbed swim out n back, but it's still significantly faster to swim unless you're a BOPer.

Course is fair, nothing particularly hard about it. Can't go wrong with this one, provided you get in.
Last edited by: lightheir: Aug 2, 14 23:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my .02 from Lake Stevens is that it isn't a bad race. I'm easy to please so no major complaints, nice scenery and deep competition should be enough for most folks ;) . The bike is a little congested with riders and trucks at times especially if you are riding the watts/in the MOP. It rained when I did it and found myself backing off owing to the unfamiliar course, heavy traffic and slick roads. But that's just me being extra careful 2000 miles from home. It's a fairly hilly bike course but not terribly so. Swim was ok. Didn't notice the water being particularly dirty. The run wasn't bad and I had a really good day probably partly due to holding back so much on the bike. There was some shade on the hillier section IIRC which was nice for a little boost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did both, Victoria (this year, freshly re-branded as IM 70.3) and Vancouver (back in 2012, course is still the same).

IMHO I don't think Vancouver will happen in 2015. It is now a 4 loop bike course which doesn't allow the participant numbers WTC wants for these kind of races. They would need the get a new course licensed. Swim is on the slow side since you will be fighting currents in the ocean. The bike course now is challenging with quite some climbing condensed on a approx 1-2k hill per loop. Run is 2 loops along the ocean. Flat and fast on gravel trails.

Victoria was a really nice race (and already has a date for 2015 so that will happen for sure). 1 loop swim in a lake, 2 loop bike course mostly rolling, no crazy climbing. 2 loop run on gravel trails as well but much hillier than in Vancouver.

I would do Victoria over Vancouver, but cannot speak for your other options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Victoria hands down.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for first western-US HIM? [Minicane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Troika used to be perfect point to point bike & finish in downtown Spokane in early August (hot run) but now it's in late May before Boise & totally different course.
Quote Reply