Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommendation for a wide road bar?
Quote | Reply
Hi all. I'm looking for a 46cm road bar, but it seems that almost nobody makes them anymore. I guess narrow is the new black when it comes to road bars these days. Does anyone have one they can recommend? Thompson makes one of undoubtedly high quality, but $250 might be a little pricey for me. Fizik makes one as well in both aluminum and carbon, but I don't love their drop/reach measurements.

Thanks,
-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for a wide road bar? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always liked my Easton bars, looks like the non-aero ones come in a 46cm width, top end carbon linked, but I use the aluminum EA50. little heavier than the carbon, but still pretty nice. http://eastoncycling.com/...ents/bars/ec90-slx3/

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for a wide road bar? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought a 3T Ergonova in 46 width. It's alloy and cost about $90 on Ebay. I believe Zipp also makes a 46.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for a wide road bar? [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll check out the 3T. The zipps are measured outside to outside, so their 46 is really a 44 for most normal measurements.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the 3T is going to be the same. It's 46 on the drops but angles in to 44 on the hoods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the eastons are measured 46cm c-c....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might try eBay...alot of take off equipment and old bike shop stock finds its' way on there. Go to the cycling category and search "46 cm."

Speaking from personal experience, I have wide shoulders and my fitter recommended going from 42 to 44 cm bars. I never quite liked the wider bars, despite racing them for at least a season (maybe 2?). I eventually went back to 42's.

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp measures their width at the hoods:

http://zipp.com/...EMENT-DIAGRAM-OL.pdf

I learned this the hard way as I bought a very expensive set of 44cm bars expecting to get 42 hoods/ 44 drops like most other manufacturers. Instead I got 44 hoods and 46 drops.

So if you order a 46 bar you will get 46 and 48.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for a wide road bar? [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I believe that. This is going to sound weird, but I don't have wide shoulders at all. The 46s are for my cross bike. Like most CX bikes, it came with a 42, which I had no issues with. But last season I switched to a 44 for better handling. For the first couple of rides it felt like I was driving a monster truck, but after that I loved it. So next season I'm going to try 46s.

I think the Eastons might be the winners here, it's hard to find a compact 46. I have small hands, so a compact bend is really nice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a 46cm bar - mine is a cannondale. Not sure if they still make one - I purchased it in 2012.

Hope it helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bikeman.com shows 25 models of 46cm 31.8 bars in stock

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for a wide road bar? [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, that's pretty weird. Do you have any idea when that diagram is from? Looking at the zipp site, they indicate some of their bars measured C-C and some O-O. Looks like only the SL-80 sells as 46cm C-C.

Quote Reply