Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Recommend to me a pair of very cold weather running gloves
Quote | Reply
I am looking for a pair of running gloves good down to about 15-20 degrees. All my pairs either freeze in the fingers with my sweat (don't wick away moisture) or just aren't warm enough. Would also be great if they were easy to take on and off while running...in other words, they aren't tight and/or impossible to get on when damp. Those things on the fingers to be able to use a touch screen would be a plus.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend to me a pair of very cold weather running gloves [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My hands get cold very easily. For example I wore gloves this morning around 55 degrees while running shirtless. Anyways, I've tried just an unimaginable number of different gloves and have yet to fine ANY that work for me regardless of how big or insulated they might be. However, that doesn't mean I simply suffer when the temps dip. Instead, I've found a solution that works down into the teens (colder and I hit the treadmill). I use two pairs of gloves - a medium weight fleece type glove over a light weight pair of running gloves. This works for me for both running and riding although I don't ride below about 30 degrees.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend to me a pair of very cold weather running gloves [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know the specific model type, but I have two fixes I use:

1. A pair of New Balance gloves that are made with fleece, but that also have a bright yellow mitten-like cover that pulls over the fingers. Mittens are warmer than gloves, so this helps.

2. I also sometimes use the really thin glove liners I usually use for skiing. I put those on, and then a pair of running gloves on top. All the ski apparel manufacturers make those (North Face, Hester, OR, etc.).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My fingers get very cold as well (likely Raynaud's). After trying many different gloves, I've settled on mittens instead of gloves. True mittens. Not those gloves with a wind-dampening mitten cover. The fingers help keep each other warm. Seriously. I have a pair made by Saucony, and I wear light Smartwool glove liners on underneath the mittens. I've run in them in all conditions and have never had cold hands. If it's really cold, I'll throw some of those hand warmer things in as well (and the mittens work well for distributing the heat from those), but that's probably overkill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use ski mittens for temps under 20 degrees. I use ones from Salomon but they were made for skiing, not running - they aren't perfect by any stretch, and actually get too toasty most of the time, but I'd rather be toasty and sweaty handed than freezing handed.

I will recommend that if you get thick ski-type mittens for running, seriously consider investing in a 4-headed air-dryer for shoes (about $35 on Amazon). It's totally worth it for cold weather conditions - you just pop your mittens on 2 heads and the sneakers on the other 2 heads, and they'll be blow-dried fairly quickly.

Without this dryer, the thick mittens take forever to dry, and will be wet even after 24 hours indoors.

I actually love my shoe dryer - I use it a lot, and keeps my shoes from stanking!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use wool socks for mittens, they stay the warmest, wool retains heat when wet, easy to wipe your dripping nose and easy to wash afterwards unlike gloves.

I wear them all the way down to below zero, had to laugh when you said "very cold weather". We all have different perspectives. With that said, hot and humid for me is about 80 degees. Ha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
I am looking for a pair of running gloves good down to about 15-20 degrees. All my pairs either freeze in the fingers with my sweat (don't wick away moisture) or just aren't warm enough. Would also be great if they were easy to take on and off while running...in other words, they aren't tight and/or impossible to get on when damp. Those things on the fingers to be able to use a touch screen would be a plus.

Thanks

If your hands are sweating then freezing bc they are wet, wouldn't you want a thinner glove? I use a pair of really cheap thin wool gloves down into the teens. They keep my hands warm enough, not toasty and sweating, but not too cold either.

I thought the rule on winter survival was not to work so hard you sweat. Then your clothes get wet and you can't keep warm. So as you warm up you shed layers to regulate body temp. Same with running gloves?

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suffer from Reynolds and I use the the Montane Prism glove, on really cold days I will add a merino liner as well but these suit me well in sub zero conditions wet or dry.
https://www.montane.co.uk/...-c47/prism-glove-p39
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend to me a pair of very cold weather running gloves [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the ski mittens. My hands get cold really easily and I picked up these from REI this past winter after the most painfully cold run of my life. The mitten part really blocks the wind and keeps the heat trapped in. These also came with a set of thin liner gloves that are pretty good for when you just need some light hand coverage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mittens are much better.

You need less bulk and insulation to stay warmer in colder temps for running.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You spelled "treadmill" wrong.

Seriously, I've always used ski gloves because its what I already have.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend to me a pair of very cold weather running gloves [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
I don't know the specific model type, but I have two fixes I use:

1. A pair of New Balance gloves that are made with fleece, but that also have a bright yellow mitten-like cover that pulls over the fingers. Mittens are warmer than gloves, so this helps.

2. I also sometimes use the really thin glove liners I usually use for skiing. I put those on, and then a pair of running gloves on top. All the ski apparel manufacturers make those (North Face, Hester, OR, etc.).

I have those same NB ones.. I saw recently that Nathan makes a very similar glove (the Ranger, I think).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use these, down to about -20C. They're too warm for temps above -8C or so. https://garneau.com/...el-ex-cycling-gloves[/url] Edited to add that these temps are for running... wouldn't cycle with them at -20.
Last edited by: surroundhound: Mar 15, 17 11:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run all year round in Ontario and swear by Mizuno Breath Thermo. Of course it is totally subjective and they do not have the touchscreen capability you would like. But if it gets colder all I need to do is layer a pair of thin mittens over the top, like the Sugoi Wind Mitt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://ca.shop.runningroom.com/extreme-shell-mitt.html

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had great luck riding with a moisture barrier. For me that's latex or nitrile gloves, big enough to not constrict AT ALL. Your hands will sweat but they reach some kind of stasis and stop perspiring at some point. The key is that your gloves or mittens stay bone dry and insulate at 100 percent. Same thing with feet. A complete barrier on your bare feet then socks and shoes.
Luckily I do not suffer from cold hands, but that being said I can ride with a nitrile glove under a regular insulated leather work glove down to around zero american degrees and at least to 10 below in Lake winter boots, thick smartwool socks, and newspaper bags on my feet. No booties or bar covers needed.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mittens, not gloves. Any kind. And if your hands are still cold those little chemical hand warmers inside them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just use my snowboarding gloves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a similar Nike glove to these:
http://store.nike.com/...294570/pgid-11304644

I've run over 6+ hours in 10 degrees w/ it snowing and a windchill around 0. Basically the cold where any water bottle or reservoir freezes after an hour and my hands were good. I have super cold hands and wear normal Defeet wool gloves from 32 to high 50s.

My hands were cold to begin with but slowly warmed up and felt okay throughout. As I'm sure you know the goal with cold, is to keep the core as warm as possible so the body doesn't give up on the hands to keep you warm. ;) Another thing is the hand with your watch will most likely be colder due to a tight watch(I don't like mine bouncing on my wrist) so it may require a few puffs every so often until it warms up.

Good luck...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
buy these and move on

Pearl Izumi Lobster Mits

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:

Thanks

Thought you said very cold!!! ;)

I ran this past weekend in -8 with a -26 windchill. I wore one pair of pretty thin gloves covered by some Craft wind breaker 'lobster' gloves and my hands were fine. It was the face that was chilly!!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend to me a pair of very cold weather running gloves [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear a pair of cycling "lobster style" gloves. Work well down into low 20's on shorter runs. If it's high teenson a long run, I'll throw a pair of hand warmers in the gloves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wool socks.. warm, breathe well, stay warm even when wet, easy to remove.. think of them as a sort of mitten.
I have long arms so usually have an inch or so of wrist getting frozen between the glove and the sleeve, the sock lets me cover the gap.

Otherwise, light gloves with the touchscreen finger, with a Gore-Tex mitten to go over them. The mitten will be somewhat breathable, plus will block wind so don't need much of a glove under it.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
I am looking for a pair of running gloves good down to about 15-20 degrees

15-20 degrees is "very cold"? I'm assuming you're American so that would be -6 to -9c, which would hardly require gloves/mitts.. I went skiing today at -6c, didn't wear anything on my hands and was fine. When I ski, depending on the wind and how hard I go I wear gloves after -10c or so and after -15 I wear mitts. Running I don't wear anything on my hands until around -20 (wear a coat with longer sleeves so my hands stay warm at the start) because I heat up way too much and my gloves get soaked in sweat.

Don't listen to all the dentists on here telling you to buy some fancy expensive "running" gloves/mitts unless you're going to be out running in -40 or colder, even then you probably don't need anything special unless you stop moving. I currently run in a pair of Burton ski mitts that my brother gave to me when he got a new pair, it's all I or anyone should need. Probably didn't cost more than $20 new, could find better gloves/mitts at a thrift store.

TL:DR Don't waste your money // 15-20 degrees isn't cold, wear a coat with longer sleeves and you will be fine

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
“More often than not bad luck meant bad plans” -Joe Abercrombie
Last edited by: Joshawa: Mar 16, 17 17:29
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend to me a pair of very cold weather running gloves [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
My hands get cold very easily. For example I wore gloves this morning around 55 degrees while running shirtless. Anyways, I've tried just an unimaginable number of different gloves and have yet to fine ANY that work for me regardless of how big or insulated they might be. However, that doesn't mean I simply suffer when the temps dip. Instead, I've found a solution that works down into the teens (colder and I hit the treadmill). I use two pairs of gloves - a medium weight fleece type glove over a light weight pair of running gloves. This works for me for both running and riding although I don't ride below about 30 degrees.

Or wear a shirt? That way the blood doesn't cool as it goes down your arms and your fingers stay cosy.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply

Prev Next