Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Recommend me a Hoka.
Quote | Reply
Can someone recommend me a Hoka shoe? Ive been to the website but I am having difficulty in selecting a shoe, as it seems overwhelming due to all of the different models.
Im currently about 200LBs, not fat just really stalky. Currently running in Nike Vomero's, Neutral foot strike. No Hoka dealers anywhere near me.
Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a Hoka. [Bubblehead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clifton.

I started w/ the Bondi and went through 2 pairs. BUT they proved to be too clunky (and retained sweat in the summer, making them clunkier). I then alternated with the Clifton's and now run in them exclusively. For me they have enough cushion and support. YMMV.

Btw I'm 195 lbs with a history of lower leg issues. Hoka's saved me.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a Hoka. [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was going to say the same thing I'd start with the Bondi 4 (don't get the Bondi 3) . I also run in Clifton 2 for races and really like the lightness it is noticeable. The Bondi 4 for me is the extra cushy training mileage shoe. I also like the Huaka which is more like the Clifton weight-wise but the sole is a little more supportive and stiffer, more like a traditional shoe but still WAY more cushy. These three models have worked for me Bondi 4, Clifton 2, and the Huaka. Im a 210lb neutral runner.
Last edited by: 1xatbandcamp: Jun 18, 15 13:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be conservative moving to either the Bondi or the Clifton. The Vomero's have a 12mm drop, so switching to a shoe with 4mm drop may require some transition time to allow your lower legs to adapt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cliffton for two race. It is great for flat course. Not so much for hilly run since the stability isn't its strength.
Anyway highly recommend.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a Hoka. [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coming from a Hoka One One dealer, I agree with the others comments. Bondi 4 has a more robust build to the upper such as a nicely reinforced heel counter and a little more meat on the sole. Try not to get overwhelmed with all of your options, keep studying up, and fwiw, new Vomero has been fitting very nicely and has a nice overall feel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About a year ago I got a pair of Conquests because of all the praise I'd heard about them. They just didn't do anything for me! I didn't get the "walking on clouds" hoka sensation I was expecting. About 2 months ago I decided to try again with the Clifton and this time I saw the Hoka light and am walking on the clouds.

I came from Saucony Kinvara's (would likely still race in them) but plan on training a lot in Cliftons going forward.

If you're looking for a pillow-y feel I reccommend the Cliftons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the Clifton and Huaka at same time. I have both pairs and settled on Huaka. Just a little more firm ride with Huaka but still lite enough for me. Clifton were lite but felt to squishy like i was wasting energy.

I switch between Saucony Kinvara 5 and Hoka Huaka depending on the day.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i train in the bondi 4, race in the clifton. i have some clifton 2 coming to me to review. so, i'll have that up in the next couple of weeks. but you're a big boy, you'd have to have a pretty neutral footfall to not break down a clifton pretty quickly, i would think.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a Hoka. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that that Clifton 2 model is out, anyone know when the model 1 is supposed to drop in price? Hoping to pick up a couple pair on clearance.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a Hoka. [DrMonkeyhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spoke with the Hoka rep at a race expo last month and he said most retailers were selling out of the Clifton 1 before the 2 arrived and that we shouldn't expect to see many huge deals. I'm sure there will be some online somewhere if you keep your eye out.

OP - I have a pair of Stinson Lite and they are okay. My right foot does something funny and it looks like I'm breaking my ankle, but I haven't had any problems in over 400 miles (I am 5'10 and in the 195-200 range). My Clifton 2s arrived last week and so far I love them, though the sample size is admittedly small (2 runs, 8 miles).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
be aware that many people have issues with the forefoot being a bit narrow on the Hoka shoes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i train in the bondi 4, race in the clifton. i have some clifton 2 coming to me to review. so, i'll have that up in the next couple of weeks. but you're a big boy, you'd have to have a pretty neutral footfall to not break down a clifton pretty quickly, i would think.

Dan. Is the sizing between the two models comparable. I have been in bondi 4's since January. Planning to buy some cliftons in July/early August to break in and race imwi in then back to bondis in off season
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a Hoka. [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sizing is comparable.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, i started with teh bondi unnumbered and then got bondi 2s and i might have a 3. i also have a stinson. love the stinson. but i almost never run on cement or hard surface. i have a wide foot and do not find the toe box to be narrow at all.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a Hoka. [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
FWIW, i started with teh bondi unnumbered and then got bondi 2s and i might have a 3. i also have a stinson. love the stinson. but i almost never run on cement or hard surface. i have a wide foot and do not find the toe box to be narrow at all.

For me, I find it's kind of an odd fit on both my clifton and conquest, not so much tight in the toebox but in the forefoot area a few inches back from my big toe. I have never had soes that grabbed me there. But I still use them
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a Hoka. [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have tried a few of the Hoka models a year or so ago at a running store on the TM and wasn't too impressed. I have been using Saucony Ride's for a few years, the Guide before that and NB for years before that and have never really found the so called cushioned shoes to be really cushioned. This year I started running in the Clifton due to ongoing knee and lower leg problems and I am very impressed. It is the most cushioned shoe since my Admiral Runners from the late 70's/early 80's! The fit is my usual size and there is no narrow toe box in my opinion. Roomier than the Saucony's at least. Not so good for speed work I would say, but I am buying this shoe again for sure!
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a Hoka. [urnotdone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the Replies. You have all been very helpful. Im in Lake Placid this weekend, will be heading to the local running shop to try out a few pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clifton race and train in, never liked tongue but guess thats fixed in clifton 2

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a Hoka. [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started with the Bondi 2 because of unbearable knee pain and they were nice and soft and saved my knees but I found my outer toes would fall asleep after a few KM. They wore out and I went to a different shoe but the blistered my feet in weird places ( my toes are all crooked). I bought a pair of Bondii 4 and no but that toe numbness came back. Tried a half size larger but no better. Now I alternate between blisters untill I can't take it and that toe numbness which has now become a major burning pain when I wake up in the morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fell in love with the clifton, then tried the valor [more cushion little more weight]. Love them both but prefree the valor
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a Hoka. [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was torn between the Altra Paradigm and the Clifton, so I got them both!!! They did not have the Bondi in my size so I was not able to try them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been wearing Kayanos for a number of years and have always struggled with foot issues (PF and recently morton's) as I've tried to increase my mileage beyond 25 mpw. Is the Bondi a good place to start?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a Hoka. [uksoxfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bondi is a good place to start.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next