Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommend me a HR monitor to replace garmin soft strap
Quote | Reply
I have a garmin 910 XT and as well documented here and on the internet the soft strap HR monitor has become highly unreliable to the point where it is pretty much useless. I have done some research and I am considering between the wahoo tickr X and the rhythm +. I have not used either but understand both are compatible with my 910XT. So any preferences out there? Or any feedback before I purchase? Thanks all :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a HR monitor to replace garmin soft strap [theoneinskane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem and bought a polar strap (just the strap!) and clicked the garmin 'pod' in there (needed to cut some rubber away on the polar strap). Works perfectly, no more issues with erratic hart rates. The sensors in the polar strap just seem more consistent.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a HR monitor to replace garmin soft strap [theoneinskane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I did the same with this cheap one:
https://www.amazon.com/...onitor/dp/B00KNQG4WE

Much more consistent and is actually more comfortable. I don't have to do the DC Rainmaker band-aid hack to prevent chaffing anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old style Garmin hard strap. Mine is 6 years old & never missed a beat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another soft strap. See if Garmin will warranty a monitor that doesn't work well. Mine works like a charm and is much better than all the old hard straps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a fan of the Scosche Rhythm+. The straps that it comes with aren't great (I actually use an old Garmin 610 velcro strap for it now), but it works well.

My first one died after about 9 months, but got a warranty replacement and it's been great.

A bit slower to adjust to HR changes than the non-optical HRMs, but way more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another Rhythm+ vote. I switched almost a year ago, and I love it. Infinitely more comfortable than any chest strap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Garmin HRM-Run, with the smaller red transmitter piece. By far the most comfortable strap I've had, and stays in place a lot better than the old ones.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a HR monitor to replace garmin soft strap [montyzooma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
montyzooma wrote:

Also use a 910 and did this about 6 months ago. Works great. If you are in Canada MEC sells the hard ones at the best price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both work great, and each have their advantages...

Tickr will be more accurate for interval type training to due time lags than any optical. If you train via HR, then go with the chest strap...if you use HR as a guide, then wrist based (rhythm or miolink) are more comfortable...also, Tickr will last you 6 months where as you need to charge wrist based weekly...It's really a preference based on how you plan to use it.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a HR monitor to replace garmin soft strap [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks! I like to train in HR zones so I have decided to go for the wahoo. Also read that i can wear it when swimming and get my heart rate retrospectively via the app which is very cool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine has been solid, never had any issues with the soft strap. Garmin will probably warranty even if it is past the warranty date. I did have them warranty a strap for me because the washing machine ate it, but even after that, the strap still worked even though it was mangled and I had to tie it around my chest.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a HR monitor to replace garmin soft strap [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hardcore tying it round your chest! lol. I've gone for a tickr. let's see if how it goes. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a HR monitor to replace garmin soft strap [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Another Rhythm+ vote. I switched almost a year ago, and I love it. Infinitely more comfortable than any chest strap.

This. The Scosche Rythm is awesome.

Since I had 3 Garmin straps laying around I felt like an idiot buying another strap. Well, I can say that those 3 Garmin straps have barely gotten any use in the last year since picking up a Scosche. It works great on my forearm or upper arm. Sometimes it confuses cadence with HR at the wrist, but since I hate wearing it on my wrist it's a non-issue.

Another plus is the bluetooth on the Rhythm. A lot of gym equipment now can sync with bluetooth. Doing a MAF run? Many treadmills will allow you to set a goal HR and it will adjust speed and incline to keep you where you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a HR monitor to replace garmin soft strap [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tickr does both BTLE as an FYI.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a HR monitor to replace garmin soft strap [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
montyzooma wrote:

Also use a 910 and did this about 6 months ago. Works great. If you are in Canada MEC sells the hard ones at the best price.

I use the Hard Strap with my 920, worked well with my 310 before that.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
theoneinskane wrote:
I have a garmin 910 XT and as well documented here and on the internet the soft strap HR monitor has become highly unreliable to the point where it is pretty much useless. I have done some research and I am considering between the wahoo tickr X and the rhythm +. I have not used either but understand both are compatible with my 910XT. So any preferences out there? Or any feedback before I purchase? Thanks all :-)

I have always preferred the regular old garmin soft strap. They can crap out, but at $35 usually, and given the amount of sweat + salt that occurs, I am ok with buying one now and then. With that being said, I have not had one crap out in a while and I have no use for my Garmin HRM Run (Red) that came with this Garmin 735xt. Was going to list it in the classifieds soon. $70 shipped.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a HR monitor to replace garmin soft strap [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. The Scosche is still a better choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a HR monitor to replace garmin soft strap [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will go for one if the wahoo doesn't work out. I looked into it and I don't fancy having it hanging out on my forearm like that and I used to wearing a chest strap. Let's see how it goes. thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. Good luck! If you were committed to a chest strap, the Tickr is the way to go. Your post about buying one came in while typing my original reply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The schoshe doesn't have to be worn around the wrist or forearm. I am a cyclist only these days, I wear it between my delt and the top of my bicep, my jersey sleeve covers it and it works great there. Can't even tell I have it on, won't be going back to a chest strap, ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I actually missed your post as it came at the same time. Thanks for the advice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried emailing/calling Garmin? Their CS has been great for me...you might be surprised.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stryd is an option it does power too
Quote Reply