Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any suggestions? I'm planing to use it to hopefully polish up my catch and pull.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
small speedo basic rectangular paddle is all you need. take off the wrist strap, just use the loop for your middle finger.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could not be happier with these. I love them.
Speedo Contoured Swim Paddles

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the small TYR catalyst.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a pair that look similar to this:
http://www.triboutique.ca/Speedo-IM-Tech-Hand-Paddles-p/speedo_imtech.htm?1=1&CartID=0

As mentioned, take the wrist strap off and just use the loop around the middle finger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FINIS Freestyler
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strokemakers or Tyr catalyst. IMO these are 2 of the better if not best paddles on the market for general use.

Do not buy paddles too big. (classic triathlete mistake & here's the accompanying joke: how can you spot a triathlete in the pool? Look for the slowest swimmer with the biggest paddles - I'm here all week folks follow me on twitter for more swim jokes) Many triathletes swim in a size or two too big. Most triathletes if they swam in HS should be using the green or smaller stroke makers (size 1 or smaller) and the yellow or smaller catalysts (size S iirc and smaller).

When you are in less good or poor swim shape sizing down one size is not a bad option. At all. Then as you develop better swim shape move up to the bigger size.

Remove the wrist strap. That way when the paddle falls off you'll have a better idea of where your stroke is sloppy.

You want flat paddles not the one's that cup. When you swim you want a flat palm, not a cupped palm. You also want your fingers spread apart slightly, a few mm. Firm but not rigid hands and fingers when you swim, same with paddles.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried or do you have thoughts on the Finis Agility paddles? They are smaller, and they have no straps so they fall off if your entry or finish is bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use these paddles from Finis - they are super small and basically just make you aware of entry, catch, and follow through. http://www.finisinc.com/...nger-paddles-sr.html

They provide great feedback - I use them with only the middle finger loop. Avoid the dinner plates - it's not an all you can eat buffet.

Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [lotzn3119] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lotzn3119 wrote:
FINIS Freestyler

+1

Specifically designed for freestyle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finis Agility Paddles here as well, they're awesome, allow your fingers to stay spread slightly apart, and I feel like it is a very true representation of how my hand grabs water during my pull.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [jonfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonfl wrote:
Finis Agility Paddles here as well, they're awesome, allow your fingers to stay spread slightly apart, and I feel like it is a very true representation of how my hand grabs water during my pull.

+2 to the agility paddle. IT's also great to not have to switch up paddles when doing other stroke drills. I can do breast, butterfly and freestyle with these bad boys and if done wrong I'll know as they fall off. I have 2 other sets of paddles in my bag that I rarely ever use, including the aforementioned freestyler and the bolster. Agility's are used 99% of the time while the other collect dust.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to improve catch and overall connection between the arm and the core, try VoloBlades by AquaVolo.

Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [krull_etc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not, but they look interesting. Since I already have 5 pair of paddles 6 can not be one too many. I'll have to pick up a pair and try them out.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [eduard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eduard wrote:
If you want to improve catch and overall connection between the arm and the core, try VoloBlades by AquaVolo.

I'm not a very good swimmer but I've been using these and like them a lot. I think they're helping with my crappy catch and pull quite a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
krull_etc wrote:
Have you tried or do you have thoughts on the Finis Agility paddles? They are smaller, and they have no straps so they fall off if your entry or finish is bad.

Those look awesome. I tend to leave my swim gear in the car, and no degrading elastic sounds fantastic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I use the agility paddles all the time. Here is another toy from Finis that use when I do drills - the forarm fulcrum. Helps focus on the forearm position during the pull. Really helps get the arm position correct when setting up the catch.

Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey DD, when you set up the strokemakers - do you use the finger holes they suggested or different ones?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for finis agility paddles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My problem with the agility paddles is actually summed up in their ad pictures.

http://www.finisinc.com/agility-paddles.html

The guy clearly has his elbow below his hand at extension. Is that partially because he is looking for pressure to hold the paddle on his hand? I don't actually want swimmers looking for more pressure on their hand when it's our front and palm facing down, that doesn't help anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finger paddles are fantastic. I use Speedo finger paddles, got 'em from amazon. Did a long pulling set the other day and you really feel every part of your stroke from the early catch to pushing w/ triceps down by your hip. After the set I felt like I was slicing through warm butter.

I've been using the agility paddles, and I did notice that on the extension, you will tend to angle your fingers up to keep the paddles on. Not a big problem for me, since most of the extension in my stroke is above water, I have a somewhat straight arm recovery phase.

It's just something to be aware of, not necessarily a huge negative. The other positives outweigh that one minor issue, for me.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions? I'm planing to use it to hopefully polish up my catch and pull.

Weaz, Strokemakers as seen here. The best and originals! You'd probably want green size #1 or maybe red size #.5. Don't go any bigger than greens #1's unless you're super huge and strong since we last worked together:). I still use red #3's to this day!

Quote | Reply
I ended up getting the Agility paddles in size medium. It's not snug at all but that's how it's designed. My stroke rate slows down quite a bit when wearing them but you get a good feel for the catch.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next