Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rear Direct mount brake for Felt IA
Quote | Reply
The rear brake that came on the IA16 absolutely sucks, it is crazy how bad it is, given its only purpose is to slow the bike. And it fails at that.

That being said, I have been looking at the 105 Direct mount rear brake and thought maybe I'd give it a go. I don't really want to shell 150 for a brake and thus, has lead me to shimano.

Any help, Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Direct mount brake for Felt IA [swim_corey_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s a great choice. My LBS recommended the Ultegra direct mount. Not sure what the differences between the two are. I put a Tririg Omega X on mine. It’s spendy, but I love it.

The other improvement to make is put Shimano TT brake levers on the bike. They have a stronger pull ratio than the stock IA16 levers.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Direct mount brake for Felt IA [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I will for sure look at the levers too, never thought of that.!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's nothing wrong with the IA rear brake. Most likely it's a cable issue. Could be binding where it goes through the stem. If it's adjustment and your shop can't adjust the brake, take it to a mountain bike shop and they will have it adjusted perfectly in 5 minutes.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another likely cause could be excess table in the frame. Try pulling the cable from the brake side and see how much extra is coiled up
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Direct mount brake for Felt IA [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
There's nothing wrong with the IA rear brake. Most likely it's a cable issue. Could be binding where it goes through the stem.
It depends on which IA you have. In the IA16, Felt chose an un-branded brake that requires a noodle to get around to the side. The noodle adds a little cable inefficiency, and the brake itself is not as stiff so flexes under load. For the more expensive IAxx models, Felt uses a Shimano direct mount rear brake.

Your point about the cable issue is very real and common across all of the IAxx models. That is the first thing I would change-- check that the shop did not over-tighten the stem cap and crush the rear brake cable. If the cable housing is smashed, you will need to replace the cable housing.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Direct mount brake for Felt IA [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just looked and my IA16 has the noodle. I understand how to adjust this brake and the only time I had a problem it was when it was binding inside the stem. Ran a new cable without going through the stem and the problem was solved.

Flexing? Come on, this is the rear brake, how much braking to you think this thing is doing? (with a TriRig front brake and the Felt rear, I've brought it down from over 50 into a hard right turn with no problem) (no matter what bike I've been on, every time I grab the brakes at the end of the front drop at AZ I think ''Jeese, I hope these brakes work'' so far they have!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Direct mount brake for Felt IA [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you do an upgrade to a direct mount brake someday, you will not be disappointed. It is cheap, and so much better than the factory setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go with a center pull , direct mount type of brake. I have the Shimano ultegra and it is better but still not what it should be.

I have also replaced levers. It is getting there. I have the bike apart right now with a longer extensions, cal pac and rear box as the latest upgrades.

I believe part of the issue is not having any support for the cable as it runs through the frame and the frame being very large in a majority of that pathway. I originally had a torque / instability sensation when braking hard on the rear wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My IA10 came with a Shimano direct mount brake in the rear. It works good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want the shimano direct mount brakes both front and rear, let me know I bought and never used them willing to sell super cheap.

RL
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Direct mount brake for Felt IA [Rlinden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rlinden wrote:
If you want the shimano direct mount brakes both front and rear, let me know...
Only the Felt IAxx rear brake is direct mount. The front brake attaches with a center bolt.
Quote Reply