Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rear Deraileur Pulleys have different 'spin rates', 6 months old
Quote | Reply
So I had LBS rehab my 6 month old TT equipped with eTap. We had the RD off and I started spinning the pulleys. One of the pulleys had free spin like I could flick it and it would spin several rotations. It actually seemed kind of wobbly as well.

The other pulley seemed to spin differently. I couldnt flick and spin it and it seemed overall more stable.

LBS said not to worry but why would there be a difference at all and does that mean one is failing? Again only 6 months old.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Deraileur Pulleys have different 'spin rates', 6 months old [Johnnyfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my understanding is that the top pulley is the guide pulley - this has a little side to side float to account for the gears not being perfectly aligned, this one will spin more freely.

The lower pulley is the tension pulley, this one is designed to be a little less free and has no side to side float.

All seems normal - shimano is exactly the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Deraileur Pulleys have different 'spin rates', 6 months old [esuuv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm...Great!! You sound confident enough that Im just gonna let this go and it makes sense. I actually cant remember which one was the free spinner. It was a week out of a 70.3 and I just wanted things together, then assess later. Thanks again for answering!
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Deraileur Pulleys have different 'spin rates', 6 months old [Johnnyfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
normal
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Deraileur Pulleys have different 'spin rates', 6 months old [esuuv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, found a few old blog posts circa 2008 and 2013 saying thats the way it is for Shimano systems...Im guessing etap is same scenario.
Quote Reply