Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Really tall guy bike fit / critique
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you get a lot of these, I apologize for the annoyance.

If anyone would like to take a look, I'm 6'6 riding a 60cm Kestrel. My current fit is my own doing. Over the course of the season my seat has gone up and forward, my stem was flipped then dropped to the last spacer, I still have 1 spacer left that would drop it another 3/8in.

I am comfortable and in my current position can sit on the bars for 4+ hours no problem. But I do feel like I want to drop the bars all the way and take the seat a bit higher - I sometimes feel like my legs at 6pm could be more extended without maxing and I'm potentially missing out on some power.

Or it's in my head. I am in the market for a new bike but in no means in a rush, so time being I'd like to go into winter in the best position possible.

Thanks for your time / help,

J

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Re: Really tall guy bike fit / critique [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No expert, just an enthusiastic amateur. For me your saddle height is nice and I wouldn't mess with that too much, maybe a couple cm tops.

If it was myself, I would want to go lower at the front. I know you have the stem flipped but what angle is it? 6 degree? A -17 stem might work better, and you can lose the spacer. You also seem to have quite a bit of pad stack, and you could probably drop your elbows relative to your hands (or hands up relative to elbows, depending on bars). Either remove pad spacers if you have them, or tilt the bars up a bit.

If you do drop the front you might also need to stretch it out a bit, either with a longer stem or simply by moving your pads along a bit, if you can.

Just my deux centimes. Somebody who actually knows about this stuff will hopefully chime in soon.
Last edited by: knighty76: Oct 2, 15 4:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend getting a good fit at your LBS. They will be able to tell you if that extra height is a good idea or an invitation or an injury like IT Band Syndrome.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Really tall guy bike fit / critique [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey thanks for commenting.

My stem is a stock OC 313, 120 length and 7 degrees. Dropping the last spacer is my only option to take my current setup lower. I have no play with my aero bars. Maybe I'll grab a stem next week that will allow a more aggressive stance.

I have a 70.3 Sunday so I'll wait to move the spacer after that.

Glad the seat looks good.

Correct call on getting sized at the LBS - I may do the "intro" fit after this the prepping for winter, don't want to drop the big bucks unless I know this will be my ride for 2016.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't go taller in the saddle, and you have a lot of potential for dropping the bars. Get a cheap -17, and if you could go lower try a -35.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go significantly higher on saddle to achieve a 145-150 knee angle. That will help a bit to lower your torso. Agree you should go lower/longer on front end.
Quote Reply
Re: Really tall guy bike fit / critique [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xing triathlete wrote:
I would go significantly higher on saddle to achieve a 145-150 knee angle. That will help a bit to lower your torso. Agree you should go lower/longer on front end.

Hmmmm I measure it at ~ 150* right now with this saddle height.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Really tall guy bike fit / critique [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmmm

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again.

I have to get a stem then, that seems clear. My bars are pushed to the absolute maximum, only 1mm of bar is on the drive side of the clasps which is actually I'm told isn't safe but with some paste they haven't budged all year. I can post a picture if you guys are interested in seeing.

Guess I have a couple questions to throw out there, and I'll start researching myself:

Good aggressively angled / long stem recommendations?

Any aero clasps that would drop the stack distance?

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xing triathlete wrote:
hmmmm

Wow look at that!

I have half a mind to raise it immediately for my race tomorrow but I also know last minute changes lead to disaster..

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That picture isn't the bottom of your stroke. Bottom dead centre is when your crank arm is in line with your effective seat tube angle, or in other words when your pedal is its furthest distance from your bum. Not vertical and not where he has that on that photo.
Quote Reply
Re: Really tall guy bike fit / critique [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright, race completed. And my first time finishing in under 6 for a 70.3 AND it was cold an windy as hell!

But back to this, I have adjusted the following:

Bars dropped 3/8in - I am now as low and as long as my setup will allow.

Seat up 5/8in - feels good, not stretched, still have some bend but I don't feel quite as restricted.

Seat forward 1/4in - adjusting to coincide with the vertical move which caused a slight horizontal shift back

So far it feels okay, but I'll really give it a whirl Saturday morning on the road. Here's an update, thoughts?

Thanks again,
-J

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply