Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Really dumb skewer set up question.... Help please
Quote | Reply
So... I took off my front wheel the other day to take bike somewhere. When I put the wheel back on, the wheel was slightly rubbing on one brake pad.

When you tighten your skewers... do tighten both only one side or both simultaneously??

If you tighten one side only can you get the wheel to move slightly to a different position??

I know it was OK before I repositioned the wheel..

Obviously not the end of the world... but wanted to see what you guys do...
Quote Reply
Re: Really dumb skewer set up question.... Help please [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
Obviously not the end of the world... but wanted to see what you guys do...

Good question. I am curious to see the responses. My wife and I started doing rail trails with a kid trailer and behind the seat child seat. I take off front tires quite a bit to pack our van and every now and then my wife's front wheel just isn't on in perfect alignment. I unloosen the skewer and try again until there is no rubbing. I am not really sure what causes it other than I try to be extra careful that the wheel is centered as I tighten both sides.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Really dumb skewer set up question.... Help please [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does not matter which side you tighten as the skewer is just a long bolt with a nut on one end so it tightens evenly no matter no matter which end you are turning.

I have removed and replaced front wheels about a million times over decades but I still now and then end up with the hub not being square in the dropouts,especially if I am leaning against the bars as I bend over to tighten the skewer. It does not take much sideways pressure to get it off by just a bit and that is all it can take to get some brake rub.

It works best if you think of it as a two step, first is getting the tension set right and then the final tightening is a separate step. After you get the tension on the skewer set right, with the wheel on the ground make absolutely sure the fork is straight up and down, loosen the quick release to let the hub "settle" then do the final clamp down with the quick release.
Last edited by: STP: Jun 13, 17 8:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If everything was fine before you removed the wheel, my guess is the wheel is either crooked when you are tightening the skewer or you need to adjust the brake by rotating it left/right. If it's only rubbing the brake briefly every rotation then the wheel is probably not aligned when you are tightening the skewer, if the brake is constantly rubbing then you may have bumped the brake caliper and it needs to be adjusted/rotated so that both pads are about the same distance from the rim.
Last edited by: iruntrails: Jun 13, 17 8:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You didn't tighten the skewer with the lever closed did you? Asking because that has been done. It's why we have lawyer skewers on almost all bikes sold.

Assuming you've closed the skewer correctly, it can be one of two things.

The wheel is not sitting evenly in dropouts. Turn the wheel and see if it's wobbling. You can use the brake caliper as a reference point. Open the skewer, gently push down on the handlebars to get the wheel to seat correctly. Close the skewer.

Or the wheel's fine. The brake calipers rotated. Possibly because the bolt holding them to the frame is loose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As posted above, its most likely that when clamping down the skewer (or at any point before) your wheel is slightly out of alignment. I just open the skewer, let the bike settle, and reclamp. If the brake rubs still (for an entire tire rotation, then its possible that you just need to realign your brake caliper. Just move it by hand and ensure the tire is centered between the pads. I have to pop my tire off all the time and, on my road bike, have to recenter the brakes 100% of the time. (the tire hits the pads on its way out of the frame) My tt bike has a wider brake pad set up, so it has plenty of clearance to remove the wheel without hitting the pads. In short, this is totally normal.
Good luck!
Quote Reply