Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Really? In an ST main page article?
Quote | Reply
Okay, Slowman, in the over a decade I've been a member of Slowtwitch, I have never posted a content complaint about anything that's been posted. But, today, I feel I have to break that.

While I appreciate whatever exposure triathlon may get by most means to anyone outside of the triathlon community and I appreciate that it is something of an honor for Ms. Schärer, why is there a borderline NSFW image stuck in a main page article with no warning whatsoever? Even more critically, why is ST, at least in some form, supporting the hyper-sexualization of women? Her athletic achievements should the metric by which she is viewed on the main page. If someone wants to post something else in one of a few long-standing threads in this forum or over in the lavender room, that is one thing, but this is completely different.
Quote Reply
Re: Really? In an ST main page article? [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the image is pretty PG by standards these days. Sadly, women especially will never be judged solely on the merits of their athleticism. Looks are marketable, therefore they matter. Sad but true, and that will never change. It seems to me that ST does a good job when triathlon -- a relatively tiny sport -- gets some marketing attention outside of its own small world of magazines, websites, and trade publications. And maybe ST just found it funny, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you link me? I can't seem to find the article you're referring to on the main page.
Quote Reply
Re: Really? In an ST main page article? [baldiesrt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ep_21_2014_4619.html

note: It wasn't written by Dan, but Carlson.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't get out much do you?
Quote Reply
Re: Really? In an ST main page article? [baldiesrt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
baldiesrt wrote:
Can you link me? I can't seem to find the article you're referring to on the main page.

I guess http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/The_Weekend_Box_Sep_21_2014_4619.html ?

That is pretty PG. Sounds like the OPs sexual repression problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes indeed, these lady professional triathletes in their bikinis is getting out of hand.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Really? In an ST main page article? [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost looks like a poor photoshop job to me!
Quote Reply
Re: Really? In an ST main page article? [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Sadly, women especially will never be judged solely on the merits of their athleticism.

Especially when they pose for Maxim.
Quote Reply
Re: Really? In an ST main page article? [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AG Tri Newbie wrote:
I think the image is pretty PG by standards these days. Sadly, women especially will never be judged solely on the merits of their athleticism. Looks are marketable, therefore they matter. Sad but true, and that will never change. It seems to me that ST does a good job when triathlon -- a relatively tiny sport -- gets some marketing attention outside of its own small world of magazines, websites, and trade publications. And maybe ST just found it funny, too.

Maybe it isn't true now - but perhaps a good goal to work towards? Why throw in the towel?
Quote Reply
Re: Really? In an ST main page article? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one is judged solely on the merits of their athleticism.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our comment (after polling all of our, uh, 'enormous' staff):

Céline Schärer looks way way more beautiful after kicking a*ss in a tri, than she does in the stiff and ridiculously-posed 'bikini' photo ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hardly "borderline" NSFW imo. It's pretty tame.

She looks like a deer in headlights, btw. That's the most unflattering thing about it. She just looks dumb. (I have no idea if she is dumb or not, and I really don't care either way.)

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Last edited by: Mendeldave: Sep 22, 14 11:04
Quote Reply
Re: Really? In an ST main page article? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Our comment (after polling all of our, uh, 'enormous' staff):

hehe

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will never work anywhere that photo isn't safe to look at that is for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While that may sell DSW aero bento boxes, it doesn't sell Maxim.

She works hard and if she wants to show off the results, who cares? The fact that she is obviously ok with it, and some guy isn't, is comical.
Last edited by: JASpencer: Sep 22, 14 11:12
Quote Reply
Re: Really? In an ST main page article? [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
While that may sell DSW aero bento boxes, it doesn't sell Maxim.
Don't think either pic will sell any bento boxes. (Having a great--or not--product does that). And don't think the bikini pic will sell any maxim either, as they obviously have some pretty bad photographers. Exhibit A: the bikini photo.

JASpencer wrote:
WShe works hard and if she wants to show off the results, who cares?
I am totally ok if she wants to show off anything she wants in any way she wants, but I was just commenting that the maxim pic is just, plain and simple, ... weak.

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Really? In an ST main page article? [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:

You're right, you won't.

But there are many people who choose to work in such places, and browse ST there, even if they don't have a problem with the photo in question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You used 'enormous' and 'stiff' in your reply.

Something on your mind...?
Quote Reply
Re: Really? In an ST main page article? [Lastcall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lastcall wrote:
mrtopher1980 wrote:

You're right, you won't.

But there are many people who choose to work in such places, and browse ST there, even if they don't have a problem with the photo in question.

Great and sexist people like the OP probably weren't supposed to be on ST at work anyway if the place they work is that uptight.
Quote Reply
Re: Really? In an ST main page article? [Mendeldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mendeldave wrote:

She looks like a deer in headlights, btw. That's the most unflattering thing about it. She just looks dumb. (I have no idea if she is dumb or not, and I really don't care either way.)

it's not about NSFW, it's about hypersexualizing things. Here, take Spiderman:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Really? In an ST main page article? [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
Mendeldave wrote:

was that pic from the wetsuit hugging the boys thread?
Quote Reply
Re: Really? In an ST main page article? [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
Mendeldave wrote:

Oh the irony. I was just reading this thread at work and got to the Spidey picture and a client walked by and did a double take. Good thing I own the company.
Quote Reply
Re: Really? In an ST main page article? [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Google Matthew Inman / the oatmeal. It was in response to Hollywoods depiction on the new spider girl

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's funny is that if the OP was reading a story about how ISIS had killed a bunch of people, complete with beheading pictures, the OP probably would not flinch. Same goes for the latest story on the murdered PA cop or even pics of a cyclist who was in a terrible accident.

But god forbid we show a grown ass woman in a bikini or underwear. Won't someone PLEASE think about the children?!?!

No one bats an eye at blood & gore, but show half a nipple & the world is coming to an end.
Quote Reply

Prev Next