Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Real world results and differences between wetsuits
Quote | Reply
I am looking at getting my first wetsuit for the race in Shreveport. Reading reviews, it looks like the T1 would be the way to go. But they also make the T1 Tres that is less expensive. My question is the T1 worth the extra money? I'm definitely no pro, and probably won't use the wetsuit that much (living in SW Louisiana), except for longer races. Is there that noticable of a difference between the two? Thanks for your advice in advance.

-"Bottom line, it's the Hunter, not the arrow. Ride what you want."

http://fulltriathlonracing.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Real world results and differences between wetsuits [JohnIV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually have a dos top and a tres bibjohn. Works great for me, but I can't comment on the T1. That's one great thing about the wetsuit. You can mix and match sizes and suits for the top and bottom.

Quote Reply
Re: Real world results and differences between wetsuits [JohnIV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Search this site for a post by Tom Demerly...I think I recently saw a post where he talked about the T1 and loved it....Might help your decision.
Last edited by: TriPA: Sep 30, 03 4:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a review of the T1 by Tom Demerly at the bikesportmichigan website:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/T1.shtml
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there is a big difference in perfromance between the T1 top and the Tres top. The bottoms don';t seem to be that different in terms of comfort, speed and removal time. The top is worth spending the extra cash to get the T1 as opposed to the Dos. The T1 top is more flexible fabric, making swimming, donning and doffing easier, especially for the beginner or average to less than average swimmer. I have swam in ever major high end suit: Orca, Aquaman, Ironman, QR. In my opinion, as a pretty rotten swimmer (even after 200+ triathlons and three Ironmans)the T1 is fastest thing to hit the water hands down. Yes, I do sell them. But first I have to BUY them, and I guarantee that selling 50 triathlon wetsuits to me is much harder than selling one to you. I researched T1s for a full year before I bought our first suit for the store, and another 2 months before I bought our first suit to sell. I still sell QR and Aquaman to provide people with a choice, but I use a T1.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very good thread here:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ch_string=t1%20;#968

Good/Bad points mentioned... as well as, advantages and disadvantages.

FWIW Joe Moya

Also, see:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...rch_string=t1;#20776
Last edited by: Joe M: Sep 30, 03 5:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently bought the tres, my first ever wetsuit. I could have sworn that on the desoto web site they are even recommending that most people get the tres. Maybe I read it somewhere else, but I thought they were saying that if you don't have flexibility problems then get the tres top. Otherwise get the tres bottoms with the T1 top.

As far as real world results, I have only one anecdotal test. I have a long established workout that I swim in a 25 yd pool. 1x2500 in 40 minutes. I know this pacing so well that I finish the 2500 yards within 10 seconds of 40' every time. I did the same workout in the same pool at the same time of day, etc. with the tres wetsuit on. It took me 35', but I slowed several times to let fresh water in the wetsuit due to overheating (the pool water was 80*).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For this season I purchased the Tres. Missed out on the Dos closeout pricing of last year. As a MOP swimmer, I could not recommend the Tres more highly. I would like to swim in the T1 top just to evaluate the difference. But with the DeSoto product, I have the choice of buying a T1 top in the future if I found it to be more beneficial. Also, I swim in some warmer waters during the summer season. One of the driving reasons behind buying the 2-piece was the ability to have two wetsuits - full sleeve and sleeveless - with only one additional sub-$100 purchase for the vest. But, after swimming in the full top, I am pretty sure I will not go with the sleeveless (vest) option.

I think it was Tom D. in an earlier thread or review that mentioned that the first time he jumped into the deep end of the pool, he popped out like a cork. The first time I did this, I exited the water up to my waist. The buoyance is something that I had to get used to actually. It was that much more buoyant than the sleeveless QR I used last year.
Quote Reply