Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Real food for the bike
Quote | Reply
This year I'm going to move away from gels/bloks/etc on the bike toward more 'normal food' (example: turkey sandwich). I've got some things that work for me, but I'm always looking for new suggestions. If you've got any, please let me have 'em!

Thanks,
-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Real food for the bike [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gals in my masters club (multiple IMs) say PBJ although I have no personal experience with that. Met I guy on the death march (for me) at IM Muskoka who was enthusiastic about salty hamburgers. However he was asking if I would walk with him so they wouldn't pull him off course so I'm not so sure that is good.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Real food for the bike [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man. Does he carry precooked burgers in a bento box? I've heard of people leaving burgers in special needs, which is gross enough in and of itself.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowride podcast mentioned a guy with a biscuit chicken sandwich wrapped in foil with two thermal handwarmers to keep it warm. Not sure I'd try that.
Quote Reply
Re: Real food for the bike [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Slowride podcast mentioned a guy with a biscuit chicken sandwich wrapped in foil with two thermal handwarmers to keep it warm. Not sure I'd try that.

To be fair, it would definitely be better warm.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode with a girl once who put oatmeal in a ziplock bag then bit the corner off and squeezed it into her mouth like a cake decorator. Didn't look too tasty though. I have had those little veggie burritos from the deli section of the grocery store. The brand around here is called globe spun cafe. Those worked pretty well if you were willing to spend about 3 minutes sitting up to eat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do most of my rides with cashew nuts, bananas and water. I raced on this as well.

For really long rides I'll have some convenience store BBQ or breakfast tacos just for the heck of it and because it's tasty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fig newtons are a staple on my training rides. Keeps hunger away and are way cheaper than gels, chomps, or energy bars.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a rice musubi (rice, some shoyu, some furikake [rice seasoning with sesame seeds and chopped seaweed], wrapped in a seaweed sheet) when i jump on the bike. Perhaps because I grew up eating rice it doesn't upset my stomach at all and it's easy to carry and eat. I tried having a slice of spam in it, because that's simply awesome, but the spam wasn't a great idea for an ironman.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm MOP-BOP, so take it for what it's worth...but I am on the PBJ bandwagon, I don't like to eat a lot at once, so it's a bit of prep work, but I quarter the sandwich and individually put the quarters in small ziplock bags, makes it easy to grab and eat quick without having to deal with an entire sandwich. Worst case ontario; if your not feeling it, jam it in and soak it with water, goes down easy

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Last edited by: Leavitt: Feb 27, 17 18:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on the "real food" train for a while last summer and did my long Saturday rides with peanut butter filled pretzels and dried apricots. Provided good energy and no GI distress... ymmv. Switched to gels in weeks leading up to and including IM. Couldn't stomach them after the 12th and switched to bananas and cookies on the course.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBJ is amateur. BP and banana on toasted bread is pro;)
Quote Reply
Re: Real food for the bike [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
Fig newtons are a staple on my training rides. Keeps hunger away and are way cheaper than gels, chomps, or energy bars.

Yeah, I've done newtons /costco fig bars quite a bit. Good, still not quite 'real' food.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dates. God's candy.

I haven't tried them in races yet, but on long workouts they've worked well for me.

Pitted of course. And there are good ones and bad ones. So minor experimentation between brands is necessary.

These also require a ton of water to wash down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No he said in the back pocket of his cycling jersey. But he was there and he finished.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Real food for the bike [mgreen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreen wrote:
Dates. God's candy.

I haven't tried them in races yet, but on long workouts they've worked well for me.

Pitted of course. And there are good ones and bad ones. So minor experimentation between brands is necessary.

These also require a ton of water to wash down.

Haven't yet, but I'm going to try a PB sandwich with either raisins or chopped dates. Hold on, it's not as crazy as it sounds. You get simple sugar, slightly more complex sugar, protein, and fat. Usually I would use hunny in such a concoction, but hunny can make a lot of things sticky and hard to handle on a long ride. Might do it with a tortilla so I can wrap it tightly and get rid of some of the bulk the bread would cause.

Quote Reply
Re: Real food for the bike [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto.

Fig bars, bananas and cornbread or semi-sweet pastries.....if you don't want to do home brew rice cakes and other fancy pastries/bars.

Wonder how we survived before gels and bars...but we raced well.

Runner Rick wrote:
Last edited by: windschatten: Feb 27, 17 22:41
Quote Reply
Re: Real food for the bike [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:

Wonder how we survived before gels and bars...but we raced well.

That's one of the great mysteries of life. Also, did you know that there was a time when every person wasn't carrying a tiny super computer in his or her pocket, and couldn't be reached ALL the time? Must have been chaos.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Miniature roasted potatoes covered in olive oil and salt. I put them in a plastic bag and then into my jersey pocket.

Also, homemade oat bars (oats, honey, raisins, chocolate chips, peanut butter, coconut, etc.) that go into a jersey pocket or bento box. A few of these will get you through a century+ ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do oatmeal cream pies count as real food?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Real food for the bike [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
Miniature roasted potatoes covered in olive oil and salt. I put them in a plastic bag and then into my jersey pocket.

Alright, time for a story. In 2012, I was at sherpa-ing for my mom and her partner at IM Frankfurt. She was gunning for a slot, he was doing his first IM, a barely-finishing type BOPer (IMFFM has a 15-hour cut off).

At the time, he was keen on this whole real-foods thing while we were doing our races off Roctane and liquid fuel. Once he started talking roast potatoes, we couldn't stand the embarrassment and placed a moratorium on potatoe purchasing in the month leading up to the race. We stayed with family, and asked them specifically to not keep potatoes around the house. "Oh, I'll roast some potatoes and keep them with some olive oil and maybe some cream cheese in my pockets" - not on our watch. We did make a concession and agreed I would be waiting at the run Special Needs with a egg and cheese sandwich.

Race day was forecast dry, but already as they were getting out the water a torrential downpour started. Deep puddles, streams on the roads. After my mum finished, she told me "You won't believe what I saw - on the first loop there were tinfoil-wrapped potatoes on the ground! And you know what's weird? They weren't there on the second loop."

Guess who was feeling smug that evening?

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always been partial to oatmeal creme pies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use flapjack, and the odd banana.

I do tend to need crisps (Chips in the US) on the run for something salty. I've all but given up on gels. For 70.3 I allow myself one on the bike and one on the run. I'm going to step up to 140.3 next year and hopefully this should scale ok. Might strap a pringles tube behind the seat though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The type of food I ride with changes every couple of months for some reason.

One season its salty stuff, like nuts, tofu jerky, firm cooked mini spinach quiche (my wife is french) and combos (weird salty pizza flavored chips things).
Another season its more bitter stuff like chinese plums, espresso jelly and nutella and crushed almond sandwiches.
Another season its semi fresh stuff like a pickle in a ziplock, cucumber cheese sandwiches, frozen grapes etc.
And some seasons I just ride off the fake stuff, citrus flavored blocks and gels.

My body keeps craving different things. But I like the firm spinach quiche (overcook in oven so it gets a crunchy crust, stays better during ride) and the tofu jerky. Also, raisins. I like raisins.

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Re: Real food for the bike [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Do oatmeal cream pies count as real food?

Only if you eat the entire box. Of course, as the name implies, oatmeal creme pies are a great nutrition foundation - you've got oats and dairy. All those extra ingredients are just a bonus. Stuff some kale in the middle and you pretty much got yourself some cycling superfood, right there.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply

Prev Next